Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default 60th FV Birthday Party

Only 6 weeks away. This epic event needs to have a thread building.

The Carmodys, and many others, are putting a lot of work into making this a special event. I am disappointed that I won't have as much time to be spectating as I would like, as we will also be racing that weekend, but looking forward to seeing many familiar faces in the paddock.

The facility is very good and the track lots of fun. If any body is on the fence about attending, start working on your car, and enter now.

How many FV racers does it take to change a light bulb?

Six. One to actually replace the bulb, and 5 to tell you how great a job Roger would have done if he did it.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 298

If the amount of people who requested their # actually make it this should be a great event. Like Greg mentioned, this is a really great facility as well as a great track. Since the event is sharing the track with FRP which has made open wheel racing a more fun event, those who haven't races with the group will hopefully be pleasantly surprised at how well run their events are. Like Greg, who will have his team there of highly competitive fords, I will also be their racing my First car. Hopefully it will be a great time and the possibility of seeing old racing friends from all over again.

Ed

4. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 5

Thanks Greg! Many more hands beyond the Carmody family have helped as well weve had a great team involved for sure. This really should be a great event and potentially the last Brundage cup race so another reason not to miss it!

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Is there a link to the entry list?

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Absolutely frikkin awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 302

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Absolutely frikkin awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is an understatement...

Liked: 830

Anyone KNOW what happened after the Brundage Cup race on Sunday? We had the race.... then victory ceremonies, and we packed up and left. Got an email yesterday showing the OFFICIAL RESULTS with a DIFFERENT set of 'Podium standers' that was 'certified' about 2 hours AFTER we left.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 298

I was there and it was a incredible event and thanks for all those involved in making it happen. I had a good time with my switch to the dark side formula First car while competing in that class now.

Ed

Liked: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Anyone KNOW what happened after the Brundage Cup race on Sunday? We had the race.... then victory ceremonies, and we packed up and left. Got an email yesterday showing the OFFICIAL RESULTS with a DIFFERENT set of 'Podium standers' that was 'certified' about 2 hours AFTER we left.

Steve, FV80
    Read on Facebook that there was a problem with the lead cars passing under a yellow.

Liked: 5

Default FV 60 th

Quote Originally Posted by CARSHouston View Post
    Read on Facebook that there was a problem with the lead cars passing under a yellow.
    I left right after that race also. So who were the official top 3 ?

Official Results... Pretty sure these are FINAL. I don't know when or where the PUY's for Brian and Andy happened. No data on that. Before or after the FCY? Don't know....

Congrats to Sam, Steve and Trevor for CCS podium ;
    Rick, Zack and Gary for Brundage Cup; and
    Hunter, Elliot O, and Devin for the Vintage Podiums... and to Bill Styczynsky for almost making the Vintage podium after a pretty tough weekend to that point .

OH.. and also congrats to ALL RACERS who were able to participate in this event. SIXTY YEARS IS A LONG TIME for any class. I was talking to Dan Brundage ('keeper' of the Brundage Cup since Jan died) about .. I wonder how many MORE YEARS FV can keep having these Anniversaries :-).

Steve, FV80
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Davis; 06.13.23 at 3:06 PM.
    Steve, FV80

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

The issue with the PUY was in turn 1 with 2-3 laps to go, for the caution that ended the race. I did not see what was flying at station 1 (drivers left on corner entry), but we could see station 2 (drivers right at the crest of the hump) standing on spectator hill. From our vantage point, we could see the 2 leaders coming what was essentially 3 wide with the white lapped car, but Brian a nose ahead. Brian very obviously was slowing & waving, then Andrew squirted ahead & slowed, in what I thought was him just getting out of a 3-wide scenario. I figured he would wave Brian back by, but then they stayed in that order under the pace car & checkered.

Brian protested, and during the investigation, officials said Brian also passed the lapped car under yellow, hence his penalty. To me, with the closing rates they had & the very slow speed of the lapped car, they had no choice... unless they wanted to reallllly jam things up & cause a big wreck. It was an unfortunate situation to a rather good race with all the DQ'd drivers working hard.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

20. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

This was not a well thought out protest. Possibly input from an outside observer or just frustration with how the race finished with no chance to race for the win. There is no way that the leaders would have observed the yellow at turn 1. They were racing into 1 side by side with the back marker ahead. The back marker CHANGED lanes on them. This would have required all the attention of the leaders/passing cars to adjust their lines.

Farnham's protest clearly believed that he was the car being passed, when in fact the actual car being passed under the yellow was the back marker.

Whitston was/is not happy that a protest was made.

Brian

Liked: 1108

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    The issue with the PUY was in turn 1 with 2-3 laps to go, for the caution that ended the race. I did not see what was flying at station 1 (drivers left on corner entry), but we could see station 2 (drivers right at the crest of the hump) standing on spectator hill. From our vantage point, we could see the 2 leaders coming what was essentially 3 wide with the white lapped car, but Brian a nose ahead. Brian very obviously was slowing & waving, then Andrew squirted ahead & slowed, in what I thought was him just getting out of a 3-wide scenario. I figured he would wave Brian back by, but then they stayed in that order under the pace car & checkered.

Brian protested, and during the investigation, officials said Brian also passed the lapped car under yellow, hence his penalty. To me, with the closing rates they had & the very slow speed of the lapped car, they had no choice... unless they wanted to reallllly jam things up & cause a big wreck. It was an unfortunate situation to a rather good race with all the DQ'd drivers working hard.
    Wow, that’s just not right. What else could anyone do in Brian’s shoes beyond wave and slow?

Anyone driving well for a big win deserves a good day, unfettered by penalties for *any* unintentional act that didn’t affect results. Not to mention stuff like this tends to weaken one’s “rewards of investment.”

How skilled that same driver is at protesting means nothing.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 174

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    This was not a well thought out protest. Possibly input from an outside observer or just frustration with how the race finished with no chance to race for the win. There is no way that the leaders would have observed the yellow at turn 1. They were racing into 1 side by side with the back marker ahead. The back marker CHANGED lanes on them. This would have required all the attention of the leaders/passing cars to adjust their lines.

Farnham's protest clearly believed that he was the car being passed, when in fact the actual car being passed under the yellow was the back marker.

Whitston was/is not happy that a protest was made.

Brian

Brian,

If you saw my son's in-car video as I have, you wouldn't arrive at the conclusion you made in the above post. The race is over and it's time to look ahead as the past isn't going to be changed. So it's time to get ready for the Runoff's and may the best driver win!

Mark Farnham

25. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Maybe this entire affair can be attributed to Vees being so blindingly fast, no mere mortal can be expected to observe them accurately.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Wow, that’s just not right. What else could anyone do in Brian’s shoes beyond wave and slow?

Anyone driving well for a big win deserves a good day, unfettered by penalties for *any* unintentional act that didn’t affect results. Not to mention stuff like this tends to weaken one’s “rewards of investment.”

How skilled that same driver is at protesting means nothing.
    I would have to GUESS... that Andy probably passed the lapped car .. and apparently SO DID BRIAN .. 'Spectator Reports' indicate that Andy passed both the lapped car AND Brian and Brian remained behind Andy. THEREFORE .. and this is just a GUESS... the penalty for PUY is 'demotion' to last in class... and BOTH cars passed the lapped car ==> it would be 'unfair' (??) to penalize ONLY ONE of those that passed the lapped car. It is quite possible that Lisa (the Chief Steward) was upstairs already reviewing the videos of the incident during the victory ceremonies - the passes having probably been reported by the corners.. and probably recorded by the TRACK VIDEO cameras.. of which there are EIGHT of them around the track (so I was told - and available in control) .. and most likely one of them would have a view of that part of the track. SO... although Brian filed a protest, it might not have had anything to do with the penalties. We MIGHT .. and we MIGHT NOT find out the true, full story of the source of the Stewards action (Brian's protest or not).

It had to be a tough call for both drivers to make as they approached that corner.. trying to MISS the lapped car, not crash, and still do their best to honor the DY .. if they even saw it... It was reportedly displayed at S/F by the time the incident occurred... but we don't know exactly WHEN the S/F flags were displayed relative to the location of the 2 cars - they might have already passed S/F before the flag went up there. Of course, IF the T1 flags were out they SHOULD have been able to see them.. regardless of the lapped car and SHOULD have both slowed (and held station) before the turn. DY is different from a single flag. You are allowed to RACE to the first flag station showing a SINGLE YELLOW... but DY's cause a TRACK FREEZE at the instant they are shown and NO PASSING is allowed regardless of where you are relative to the flag itself - i.e. you ARE NOT ALLOWED to 'race (pass) before reaching the flag'.

Another 'victim' here would be Rick .. who did NOT get to celebrate his win at the ceremonies.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80

29. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information