Liked: 3

Default Cool shirt- How in Formula car?

I got super hot on grid in my PFM last year. How do you use a cool shirt in your formula car? In my race 944 I have a large ice water box with pump to connect to cool shirt, works great! Nowhere to put that thing in the PFM.

Need your suggestions please. I won’t usually have a crew to help me with a fan etc.

thanks!

jeff

Liked: 9

Cool vest comes with Ice packs lightweight just search cool vest.

Quote Originally Posted by janton9736 View Post
    I got super hot on grid in my PFM last year. How do you use a cool shirt in your formula car? In my race 944 I have a large ice water box with pump to connect to cool shirt, works great! Nowhere to put that thing in the PFM.

Need your suggestions please. I won’t usually have a crew to help me with a fan etc.

thanks!

jeff

Liked: 482

Default Hybrid Vest

I use this and my core stays comfortably cool:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...oduct=2745-003

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Indycars use the Rini cooler system mounted in the nose. It's a great system, but expensive.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

That looks manageable, thank you. How thick are the chill packs/how much do they stick out? I’m trying I guess before ordering if here is enough room in tHe chest area in my fire Sui.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I use this and my core stays comfortably cool:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...oduct=2745-003

That looks manageable, thank you. How thick are the chill packs/how much do they stick out? I’m trying I guess before ordering if here is enough room in tHe chest area in my fire Sui.
    Not a lot. 0.5 to 0.75”. Unless your suit is TIGHT as-is, I doubt you’ll be too tight with this. Pegasus is usually good with returns so try and see…

I just measured. Chill packs are just under 0.5”. Add the vest which is VERY thin and maybe some expansion when cold and you’ll still be under 0.75” thick I think.

Liked: 597

I tried using the strap piece that sort of looks like a 'cup holder' thing in the Crossle CF years ago to hold the cool shirt 'can-of-shaving-cream' ........I had the 'cup holder' strap attached sideways to one of the shoulder belts so that I could maybe reach up and press the button on its top.
    Darned awkward it seemed because I could barely get my hand to the button.....and during the race? .....rediculous
    So I decided to simply get in better shape and work my tail off in Florida's 90 temps and 90% humidity....go for a run outside in full sweats instead of shorts during the Summer.......ride the stationary bike in sweats.....stay hydrated....which means I gave the Cool-Shirt to the guy that mows my lawn.
    The answer, if you ask me, is not some trick item..... but inner strength......potassium based Club Soda, cool but not cold water, not too much Gatorade, not drinking too much alcohol later after racing and not mind being drenched in your own sweat.
    I might wish a Cool-Shirt during an Enduro.....but for a 30 minutes Formula car run......I choose to tough it out

Liked: 9

thanks!

jeff

These fit smaller cockpits too
    https://coolshirt.com/product/kart-bag-system12v/ And you can get SFI shirts with fire protection instead of a vest that will melt on you if you catch on fire.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Liked: 268

Default cool shirts

A number of years ago I tried the treated underwear from Sparco, I think, and it was great! The first time until you washed it then the treatment was washed out and it simply was another underwear. You could buy retreatment for them but it was expensive so unless you wanted to buy new stuff for each race it was a waste of money! Many Countries in Asia use a mentholated powder after showers and that really works and is cheap and can be dusted into your underwear however you definitely want to avoid your private parts, just saying!

thank you for checking this!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I just measured. Chill packs are just under 0.5”. Add the vest which is VERY thin and maybe some expansion when cold and you’ll still be under 0.75” thick I think.

Thread Information