Liked: 5

Default Tach sender for CDS Co Pilot 2?

Hi, I've got to install a CDS Co Pilot 2 with the newer Serial Sensor Interface box. I'm missing one part, and I'm hoping for someone who either has a tach sensor or knows of a substitute! This would be the 5V "SEN 17E Electromotive Ignition Sensor" on the CDS website, not the older magnetic pickup. I've seen a few possibilities for a substitute, but it looks like most put out a 12V signal. I use Petronix, in case that makes a difference. Any ideas?

Liked: 830

Anthony,
    Sorry I missed this post of yours earlier. I imagine you have solved your problem by now.. BUT.. in my case, I experimented around with SEVERAL 'coil/ignition' type RPM pickups and ALL of them failed the tests. Ultimately I opted for a magnet mounted on the front pulley and picked up by a 12v sensor mounted to the case.
    I can send more details if you want.. or you can see what I did at CMP in a couple weeks.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 5

Thanks, I meant to update this with my solution. The SSI box needed a 5V signal, so I went with the Dakota Digital SGI-100BT Universal Speedometer and Tachometer Interface

It was a shotgun approach, but I didn't want to mess around with possibly getting a cheaper device and discovering it didn't work. Wired it to the coil, battery, and ground, plus the wire to the SSI box. Worked first time!

Liked: 830

Hey.. looks cool. I didn't find that when I was searching. That seems a decent price for what it can do.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Thread Information