Liked: 11

Default What magnesium fill rod

Hello,
    I'm intending to TIG weld a crack in my VW Rhino magnesium transmission case. Could someone help me with a recommendation on what fill rod to use? AZ92A seems to be the "catch-all" fill rod but I thought I'd ask the experts. Searched the forum but no luck.
    Thank you
    1972 Merlyn Mk 20

Liked: 323

May be wrong, but I believe Rhino cases are aluminum and not magnesium
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 182

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    May be wrong, but I believe Rhino cases are aluminum and not magnesium
    Both were made. Mag is very difficult to find, probably discontinued.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 58

Default Welding alloy for Hewland trans case

It might be worth contacting Hewland Classic via email for such technical info. They were very forthcoming re FT200 case material alloy for me several years ago. They confirmed the FT200 case is RZ5/ZE41 mag. I then went to Magnesium Electron for the recommended RZ5 filler rod.

I recall that the VW based cases have considerable aluminum in their alloy, unlike FT200s that have a fairly "pure" magnesium alloy with minimal aluminum.

Hewland classic is at ---

Home ==> http://www.hewlandclassic.com/
    Email ==> sales@hewlandclassic.com

Lee

PS -- others would likely be interested in what you find out, so please post up results in this thread!

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Fill rod

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Johnson View Post
    It might be worth contacting Hewland Classic via email for such technical info. They were very forthcoming re FT200 case material alloy for me several years ago. They confirmed the FT200 case is RZ5/ZE41 mag. I then went to Magnesium Electron for the recommended RZ5 filler rod.

I recall that the VW based cases have considerable aluminum in their alloy, unlike FT200s that have a fairly "pure" magnesium alloy with minimal aluminum.

Lee

PS -- others would likely be interested in what you find out, so please post up results in this thread!
    Thank you very much! I sent an email and will let you all know when hear back. I'll do the white vinegar test as well to see if it has a lot of aluminum, just for kicks. (it fizzes if it's mag)

Cheers!
    1972 Merlyn Mk 20

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 160

You could also try asking on the Hewland Facebook page if you are not successful with Hewland Classic.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/53024475501

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

On a magnesium VW case I had it welded with AZ61A. Never had any problem. Just my 2c.
    Graham

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Mag fill rod

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    On a magnesium VW case I had it welded with AZ61A. Never had any problem. Just my 2c.
    Ah, someone who's done it. Thank you.
    I contacted Hewland and Taylor, they've never welded a mag case.
    1972 Merlyn Mk 20

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 27

Default ZE41 (RZ5) Magnesium Welding Rod.

I am looking into ordering the ZE41 RZ5 filler rods at the moment from the only supplier world wide. RZ5 is a proprietary product. The advice I have had is the commonly avail mag filler rods are very different in chemical composition to RZ5, So if you need to repair a more expensive Hewland case such as an FT200 , FG400 or DG300 you will require the uber expensive RZ5 filler rods.

Happy to help out others with supply of this filler rod once I have them in hand, The min order is 2kg or 4.4 lb's which hopefully I will never use up. Thanks to Lee for a point in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Johnson View Post

Lee

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Re; mag fill rod

Thank you,
    I haven't moved on this yet, too busy with work. I'll update when I do.
    1972 Merlyn Mk 20

Liked: 146

Last time I had to fix a Hewland case, I found that I needed to buy 5 kg of rods.

It was easier to find a Formula Vee guy, who claimed that the VW crankcase could be welded with the same rods. Worked a treat, 20 years later, no issues.

Thread Information