Thread: CDS Data Files

Liked: 2

Default CDS Data Files

Has anyone ever tried or had any luck reading Competition Data Systems data files in any software besides their software TrackMaster? I gave it my best effort but haven't had any success.

I can export from the software but only a lap at a time (to my knowledge) which becomes tedious. We have two cars with different loggers (CDS and AiM) so it makes comparing the two cars difficult. If I could get them both into the same program it would save me a lot of time.
    2002 Van Diemen Honda FF

Liked: 4

The short answer is that I haven't and I don't think that there is a way.

Many years ago I asked Peter at CDS about this. I wanted to export more than one lap at a time. He said that one lap at a time was all that was allowed. Also, as you've discovered, the data file format is proprietary.

My CDS / Trackmaster system still provides everything that I need and want. Someday, probably soon, something is going to crap-out and I'll have to change to something else, but I'm not looking forward to that day.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 830

I export my CDS files (all laps) to a .CDS file (that is just a TEXT file) and I wrote a program to FIX the odd (random) lap order in order to import it into RaceRender to get data on my videos. It's specifically made for MY car/sensors, but I tried to make it 'generic enough' to handle different sensor setups .. but I don't have a way to test it in another car with a different setup.

In the EXPORT window, you have to multi-select all of the laps - else it just exports the ONE lap that it defaults to (no idea how that default happens).

Anyway.. if that would give you what you are looking for, send me an email and I'll be glad to let you try it .. and I'd even be willing to modify it (if needed) to accommodate YOUR configuration if you send me an export file. It's all WINDOWS though. I use it on my Win7/64 setup. Will probably work OK on most versions, but might not too

Steve, FV80 .. Steve at WedgeRacing dot com
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 4

Great! One of those rare times that I'm glad to be wrong! I hope it helps Rob.

Liked: 830

Just a follow up.. my program seemed to solve Rob's problem.. after I fixed an issue for him. If there are any other CDS users out there that would like to be able to export their lap data (into something usable), feel free to contact me about getting a copy of my conversion program. It's only been used on 2 different systems, but I'm interested in trying others.

Steve
    BTW. I should mention that my program is WINDOWS (7). MIght run under Win8 .. or even 10, but not tried. No ability to recompile for higher than 7. The source is Delphi pascal.
    Last edited by Steve Davis; 04.27.23 at 12:00 PM.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information