Liked: 64

Default Toyo R888 vs Hoosier VFF Formula Ford

Which tire is faster?

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

With no back to back experience on the same car but having driven on both tires, I'd guess the Hoosier is quicker on a FF.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default As Stonebridge said

Same here. Even if they displayed the same traction characteristics, with the Toyo your little Kent/Fit is spinning 4 large bales of steel wire. The weight difference alone is large, let alone the effort required to spin a much heavier tire.

And not that you asked, but the driving characteristics are extremely different. With the Toyo, the steering effort required is much higher, and feedback is far more harsh.

best
    bt

Liked: 64

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    And not that you asked, but the driving characteristics are extremely different. With the Toyo, the steering effort required is much higher, and feedback is far more harsh.

best
    bt
    I've run only Toyos but the steering effort seems very very low with no harsh feedback. They seem like a good tire with a reputation that they will go 3 or 4 weekends without loss in lap time. Admittedly, I've only run 2 weekends and coming from sprint karts my reference might be off.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
    I've run only Toyos but the steering effort seems very very low with no harsh feedback. They seem like a good tire with a reputation that they will go 3 or 4 weekends without loss in lap time. Admittedly, I've only run 2 weekends and coming from sprint karts my reference might be off.
    Larry, I had only run Toyos in my RF 90 until I went to the 50th. I put on a new set of Hoosier VFF tires and the difference was night and day (and I left all the alignment settings static, as I am lazy and was having way too much fun).

bt

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Out here on the Left Coast we tried several street radials to find an alternative tire for Club Ford to replace the American Racers. It was hard to get enough heat into the R888s and most other street radials to get them to work. The Hoosier VFF and the Avon FF tires had more steering feel than the R888 as well. R888s work well on my Lotus Elise for track days, with good life, but the Elise is twice the weight with driver and fuel.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Out here on the Left Coast we tried several street radials to find an alternative tire for Club Ford to replace the American Racers. It was hard to get enough heat into the R888s and most other street radials to get them to work. The Hoosier VFF and the Avon FF tires had more steering feel than the R888 as well. R888s work well on my Lotus Elise for track days, with good life, but the Elise is twice the weight with driver and fuel.
    I put the R888 on my Datsun 510 and immediately went back to the Hoosier TD's
    because the R888's didn't want to give me any warning before they'd try to pitch me into the weeds.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    I put the R888 on my Datsun 510 and immediately went back to the Hoosier TD's
    because the R888's didn't want to give me any warning before they'd try to pitch me into the weeds.
    Same with me at Sears Point Turn 11 yesterday morning in the Elise. 50F first session, the tires wouldn't get warm and wake up.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

I've run both. There's no doubt in my mind the Hoosier is better than the old Toyo in every way. The new Toyo is supposed to be better than the old ones, but I definitely prefer the Hoosiers.

14. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thread Information