Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default off-site storage questions

Okay, took a lumber yard and assembled enough "ramps" to get the car in the new place. Really no drama in the end, but now the RV and trailer are in off-site storage, and wondering what issues that is going to cause. I took out the spares so the heat didn't kill them, but what about fuel jugs? Empty ones okay? full ones okay? How do I keep the WD-40,and aerosol cans from going flat, or worse, going "boom"? Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Security
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Security
    Concertina wire, lights and cameras, but short of a private guard that is all I can do. Maybe a GPS tracer in the rig would be good. I was really wondering about all those things that heat will affect, that till now I didn't need to worry about.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default My experience

Thieves will steal anything that isn't locked down. Make sure the storage area security gate is programmed to close after EVERY vehicle goes through - some of these places leave them wide open during business hours (mine used to), and theft was a problem. Also, the further "back" in the yard your trailer is, the more likely it will be to get broken in to (often thieves will jump/cut the rear fence to get in).

Locks. Thieves are enterprising, but in my experience are lazy and dumb - if they see a decent lock on all your trailer doors and tongue, and the one beside yours has cheesy little hardware locks, they hit that one. My trailer got broken into years ago in offsite storage as they snipped off the locks easily. I upgraded to those large, thick round locks with no external "hoop" and haven't been broken into since. Most of the trailers in my yard have these locks and it looks like successful break ins have dropped a lot.

The reality is that the aluminum walls on our trailers are as think as Kleenex. If they want in, they will get in. But, back to being lazy, they don't really want to work at it, so they look for low-hanging fruit.

As to leaving stuff in the trailer, I have not ever had a aerosol can go boom (summer or winter). You can leave gas cans in the trailer either full or empty as longas they are high quality and shut tight - I prefer full as they seem to not really expand in hot temps lie empty ones do. Take every battery you have out of the trailer of course if storing over long periods/winter.

best,
    bt

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

At least paint the catalytic converter on your RV.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thanks for the help and ideas. Wasn't so much asking about security, but I think I will take some Krylon with me when I go check on the stuff next time. And I will take my gas cans back as it seems they will be okay.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Thread Information