Liked: 4

Default 2002 Formula Mazda for sale

****UPDATE 4/20/23: CAR IS OFFICIALLY SOLD. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INTEREST AND THANKS, APEX SPEED.****

This is a 2002 Formula Mazda. I acquired it in January 2021. I believe I am the third owner. I have the logbooks going back to when it was new. It was a 2003 and 2005 National Champion, and 5x NYSRRC Champion.

I bought it from a gentleman who had to retire from racing due to personal circumstances, and the car had been sitting unused in his garage for awhile. Per his report and the logbooks, it was last raced in 2010 (a race it won, by the way). I had intended to do the necessary updating (fuel cell, seatbelts, minor maintenance stuff) to get it ready to track, but never got around to it. Unfortunately, my own life circumstances have not permitted me the time I thought I would have to use the car, so it is time for it to go to someone who will be able to enjoy it.

The car has a sealed engine. The engine and transmission have around 210 hours on them. It runs and drives fine from what I can tell. The extent of my use has been driving it up and down my neighborhood street every couple months just to keep things in the engine and transmission lubricated. The fuel cell needs replacement. The seatbelts are out of date. The tires need replacement. Otherwise, I don't think it needs a whole lot to be track-ready. If it were me, I would give it a good going-through and probably rebuild all four brake calipers, replace older lines/hoses/etc, but nothing major. It has a new battery, fresh oil/filter, and last year I swapped out the front aluminum calipers for spare steel ones I had when I noticed the RF caliper starting to stick. I replaced both the front and rear brake master cylinders at that time as well. Cosmetically it's not perfect. The fiberglass side panels show areas of prior work, and the paint shows evidence of track use with tire marks/chips/etc.

The sale includes an open-style tow trailer with newer tires and wheel bearings. I am also including the following spares: an extra set of wheels, freshly painted front nose cone, spare nose frame assembly, quick jack, spare belly pan, two spare aluminum calipers (at least one in need of rebuild), weigh scale pad platforms, alignment bars, and a few other small miscellaneous items in a box.

Asking $11,500. PM me with any questions or for email/phone. The car is in Sarasota, FL. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by traumamed; 04.20.23 at 5:03 PM. Reason: listing update

Here are the last five pictures I have (each post only allows 15 pics per post).

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Price reduction

Price reduced to $12,500 OBO. Car just needs routine updating (fuel cell, seat belts, tires... basic stuff) to be ready to go!

Liked: 15

What size driver will this accommodate? What kind of life expectancy do these engines typically have? 210 hours seems like a pretty high number.

Quote Originally Posted by caracal25 View Post
    What size driver will this accommodate? What kind of life expectancy do these engines typically have? 210 hours seems like a pretty high number.
    I bought the car from a gentleman who was definitely over 6' and on the husky side, probably mid-200s if I were guessing. So these FMs can accommodate larger drivers. I am 5'7" and 135 lbs, and would have needed to adjust the pedals and get a new seat molded if I had ever tracked it.

I cannot comment on the hours other than to say that from everything I know, the FM is a pretty robust platform. It's just a Mazda 13b engine that runs on high-octane pump gas with a little 2-stroke oil mixed in. The engine in the car seems strong to me, and the previous owner said he won with it in the last race he ran. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have no reason to believe the engine is in need of a rebuild.

Price down to $11,500. This should be a great value for someone, and is less than I paid for the car. Trailer is included too, as noted in the listing. I need it out of my garage so I'll take the loss. First $11,500 takes it, or tell me why you think my price is crazy and what you would pay for it. PM me to exchange email/phone.
    Last edited by traumamed; 03.15.23 at 3:03 AM.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1

PM sent.

Interest has picked up, and someone placed a deposit on the car. I will update this thread to confirm sale or to advise if the deal ultimately doesn't work out. In the meantime, I will not be taking additional offers until further notice. I expect to have a status update within a week or so. In any case, thanks for looking.

3/27/23 update: Deal still in process but has not closed.
    Last edited by traumamed; 03.27.23 at 5:35 AM.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 6

Any update? I am very interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Skrimshaw90 View Post
    Any update? I am very interested!
    Deal is still on as of now, just moving very slowly as the prospective buyer is not US-based. He is working on a method to ship internationally. Hopefully I will be able to give a final update as to whether the car is definitely sold or not by the end of this week.

UPDATE 4/20/23: CAR IS OFFICIALLY SOLD. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INTEREST AND THANKS, APEX SPEED.
    Last edited by traumamed; 04.20.23 at 5:00 PM.

Thread Information