Liked: 830

Default Penske black fronts .. what shaft length?

I don't have a P/N for these other than 'Penske Blacks'. Not sure if there are different sizes or not. Pretty sure there are at least TWO models ... but don't know what numbers they are or if there are differences. I got the shaft in one of mine BENT at Sebring a few weeks ago.

I shaft length - end to end is ~6.5"... but there don't seem to be ANY Penske shafts of that length available anywhere . SO.. how are these things measured? Apparently NOT 'end to end'.

Anyone have a used 'BLACK' for sale? Parts .. like a SHAFT? available? All seem to be 0.5" dia shafts. Took quite a SMACK to bend it.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 6

Default Possibly Fred?

Fred Clark might have some Steve. He works on Penske shocks all the time and has a dyno too.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 298

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    I don't have a P/N for these other than 'Penske Blacks'. Not sure if there are different sizes or not. Pretty sure there are at least TWO models ... but don't know what numbers they are or if there are differences. I got the shaft in one of mine BENT at Sebring a few weeks ago.

I shaft length - end to end is ~6.5"... but there don't seem to be ANY Penske shafts of that length available anywhere . SO.. how are these things measured? Apparently NOT 'end to end'.

Anyone have a used 'BLACK' for sale? Parts .. like a SHAFT? available? All seem to be 0.5" dia shafts. Took quite a SMACK to bend it.

Steve, FV80
    Steve you could contact R&E Suspension and ask Jason if they have anything. I have been using them since meeting them at VIR national many years ago. They had a trailer doing support at the runoffs last fall at VIR. They are in the Charlotte NC area.

Liked: 114

Default Black Penskes

I Dynoed and repaired a set a few years ago for a friend and bought the last shaft Penske had. At the time Stimola (Joe's son) had some, but other than that I think they are gone.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Find some old-timer who is good at staightening shafts and have him give it a go. I straighten race car parts all the time with a vice and a long hollow piece of pipe. Considering the shaft speed of the application, I don't think perfection is required.

Just treat it like a tweeked steering rod or trailing arm. You probably have nothing to lose. It certainly has less required integrity than either a steering rod or trailing arm.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Shafts

I have a couple of shafts sitting on the bench. Will check the length and get back to you

Ed

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Call Angelo Zarra- Anze Suspension in Florida cell- 516-578-5181

He has a very large Penske parts inventory and is one of their largest dealers.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Shaft

Sorry, checked what I have. They are only 5 1/2"

Ed

Liked: 10

Default Penske Formula Vee PArts

Steve,

I have replacement Shafts - You have to start with a new one.
    Call Me - 561-203-7571

I hope that i am qualified to to answer this. We are the leading Penske dealer and distributor for road racing in the country (25 years plus in shocks). We design, build and tune Penske Shocks; from Imsa, LMP to Formula Vee to drag race we are Penske and Ohlins master technicians. I started in the Penske Trailer at Mid Ohio Tuning Brad Strout' runoffs shocks. We are the guys making people faster, from service to development.

We would love to help the entire Formula Vee Community.

Please don't be afraid to call and ask any Penske, Fox, Ohlins, Dynamic, JRZ, Moton, Quantum, Koni, ...... ahhhhh...... screw it any shock question. 561-203-7571, any shock question -
    I am always happy to help any racer.

We don't do the internet, we are in pit lane with you or on the bench building the next shock.

Yes, Penske discontinued the original FV shock Build.
    No, there are no more parts in stock anywhere. Home garages are the only source.

Yes, you can replace it with a new shaft from the new FV architecture - You will need to block off the cross hole and jet area.
    A little bit of work
    We would start with Part Number SH-76NA3 - 1/2" diameter.

Joe Stimola and I built the "shock business together" - when his son retired - I purchased all of the inventory, as James and I knew that his dad wanted the it to go to a good place.
    No i there are no original formula vee shocks, nor parts in the inventory - I will check again later today.

Yes you can straighten a shaft - .020"-.030" bent in the middle back to .001" or less of straightness. If it is bent near a thread root or step you run the risk of cracking. Cracks=crash, crash cost money. More money then the shaft you saved.
    I do use a hydraulic press and a dial gauge. - It is still a judgement call.

If you want me to straighten it, I will. How far is it bent.

Regards

Angelo Zarra
    ANZE Suspension

13. The following 5 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shock Guy View Post

Yes you can straighten a shaft - .020"-.030" bent in the middle back to .001" or less of straightness. If it is bent near a thread root or step you run the risk of cracking. Cracks=crash, crash cost money. More money then the shaft you saved.
    Minor correction. There is no load into a front FV shock so a broken front shock does not equal a crash. It is barely noticeable. The 2022 national FV champ had a front shock fall off during the Runoff race, as many of us have. If I could straighten it and get the bend down to .020-.030" that would be fine with me. Nothing left to lose other than a few minutes of your time.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Minor correction. There is no load into a front FV shock so a broken front shock does not equal a crash. It is barely noticeable. The 2022 national FV champ had a front shock fall off during the Runoff race, as many of us have. If I could straighten it and get the bend down to .020-.030" that would be fine with me. Nothing left to lose other than a few minutes of your time.

Cool - Minor correction - sudden un damped wheel changes grip and if you are at max "G" there is a high chance of changing direction. Good guys and good skills can pull out of the dive.... No Worries.

Sorry was i clear i get them to 0.001" TIR (total indicated Runout) - starting with 0.020" to 0.030" bent garbage - and sometimes even an "S" Bend.

Sorry was i clear i get them to 0.001" TIR (total indicated Runout) - starting with 0.020" to 0.030" bent garbage - and sometimes even an "S" Bend.
    Angelo, you were very clear. We just have different standards. I was just encouraging Steve to try straightening it himself and save hundreds of dollars for other parts he needs. As a 35 year budget FV racer, I know what I would do.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by problemchild; 02.22.23 at 7:52 PM.

Liked: 830

Thanks to all for the input. I have acquired a new shaft from Fred as well as some other parts from another racer.
    And, yes.. I'm generally a CHEEP guy and willing to 'straighten' a shaft .. if possible. However, this one looks to me like it's beyond help. I can't imagine getting it straight enough to NOT LEAK oil and gas. Replacing it looked like the only real solution to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bent_shock_shaft_Sebring.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	106404  
    Last edited by Steve Davis; 02.22.23 at 10:25 PM.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

That little tweek? No problem. I thought you said it was bent.

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 5

Angelo and Anze are awesome. They rebuilt my shock and had it back in no time at a great price. Cant recommend them enough!

Steve,

I have replacement Shafts - You have to start with a new one.
    Call Me - 561-203-7571

I hope that i am qualified to to answer this. We are the leading Penske dealer and distributor for road racing in the country (25 years plus in shocks). We design, build and tune Penske Shocks; from Imsa, LMP to Formula Vee to drag race we are Penske and Ohlins master technicians. I started in the Penske Trailer at Mid Ohio Tuning Brad Strout' runoffs shocks. We are the guys making people faster, from service to development.

We would love to help the entire Formula Vee Community.

Please don't be afraid to call and ask any Penske, Fox, Ohlins, Dynamic, JRZ, Moton, Quantum, Koni, ...... ahhhhh...... screw it any shock question. 561-203-7571, any shock question -
    I am always happy to help any racer.

We don't do the internet, we are in pit lane with you or on the bench building the next shock.

Yes, Penske discontinued the original FV shock Build.
    No, there are no more parts in stock anywhere. Home garages are the only source.

Yes, you can replace it with a new shaft from the new FV architecture - You will need to block off the cross hole and jet area.
    A little bit of work
    We would start with Part Number SH-76NA3 - 1/2" diameter.

Joe Stimola and I built the "shock business together" - when his son retired - I purchased all of the inventory, as James and I knew that his dad wanted the it to go to a good place.
    No i there are no original formula vee shocks, nor parts in the inventory - I will check again later today.

If you want me to straighten it, I will. How far is it bent.

Regards

Angelo Zarra
    ANZE Suspension

Thread Information