Liked: 323

Default Small diameter transport tires

I am looking to put together a set of transport wheels on 5.5" FF wheels. What is the smallest diameter tire that is possible to put on these wheels? I need to get to an 18" outer diameter. Or, if there is a 16" outside diameter option that would be great.

Any Suggestions?
    Last edited by CGOffroad; 02.13.23 at 9:42 PM.

Liked: 139

You might check out scooter tires.

Liked: 225

Default low profile

This made me curious so I went on a google search.
    Since you're using FF wheels, maybe a 165/30r13 would work? supposedly 17" diameter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115263315507

Liked: 799

I'm confused, you want a low profile tire resulting in a 16" outside diameter ?

Surely the belly of the car is on the ground then???
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    I'm confused, you want a low profile tire resulting in a 16" outside diameter ?

Surely the belly of the car is on the ground then???

Only way 16" works is to change out to the small diameter wheels when the car is on trailer ramp and about to roll onto the lift of stacker. Bit of a pain, but the other option is removing body work and roll hoop to reduce height. Removing body work is not really an option as I would then have to find a place in trailer for engine cover to set and not be damaged during transport.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Why not just roll and load it on the discs?
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    Only way 16" works is to change out to the small diameter wheels when the car is on trailer ramp and about to roll onto the lift of stacker. Bit of a pain, but the other option is removing body work and roll hoop to reduce height. Removing body work is not really an option as I would then have to find a place in trailer for engine cover to set and not be damaged during transport.
    I picture it now on a stacker, but yikes, thats tedious. Must be a low height stacker though.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Contributing Member Ken Lawrence's Avatar
    Liked: 52

Default stacker roll on

why not just made a plywood disc wheel to roll a few feet

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lawrence View Post
    why not just made a plywood disc wheel to roll a few feet
    And wrap/attach an aluminum "U" extrusion like this ( https://www.mcmaster.com/9001K776 ) around it to keep it from splitting.
    Dave Weitzenhof

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

a little more expensive than plywood, but PVC or ABS plate.

Default Short transport wheels

Spent a large portion of the day yesterday, with the help of Hammerhead Racing and another member of the Arizona formula car group figuring out how to manage the third car into my gooseneck trailer. The photo below will help shed some light on the subject.

It should be obvious that hauling the car as you see it in the photo is NOT how it will be secured and towed. The car was set on wheels that are 13" diameter to prove that another car can fit behind this one, and that there is head room for the car without removing body panels or roll hoop.

Here is the plan and some information we learned yesterday: Rather than figuring out some way to use these FF wheels, I am just going to get a set of hubs to make transport wheels and find four motorcycle wheel/tires that have an outside diameter of 15". We will weld and make up a set of transport wheels specific to this trailer and this application. The car can not ever roll on these 15" wheels unless it is on the stacker. As mentioned previously, the car would be setting on its belly rather than on 15" wheels if on a flat surface.

We had to do a tire change with the car setting on the stacker for this test. That will also be required to use the 15" transport wheels. There is a plan to build a 'bridge' that spans stacker rails to accommodate the most secure means of jacking car up while it is on the stacker. Changing the tires on car while it is on stacker should not be much more time consuming than jacking car up, and putting transport wheels on while on the asphalt.

I had figured that by rolling the car forward enough to put the front wheels onto the gooseneck area, that basically the whole car weight would be setting on the bed of truck. I purchased a load cell gooseneck trailer hitch to get data from during this process, and the load cell proved me wrong. From 'no car' in trailer, to having the car in 'loaded position' the weight on the hitch went up 500 lbs. So, half of the cars weight is still on the trailer tires.

Attached Images Attached Images

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information