Thread: AIM RS2 issues

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default AIM RS2 issues

I'm not getting a lot of responses off of the FB AIM users group, so I'll post this here.

I'm having some issues with my XG Log, probably compounded by some computer issues. Please bear with me on this long explanation.

Background: I normally run my data system from my Mac using Bootcamp. When I set this up, I made some mistakes on the MAC side, so I deleted my bootcamp install and for now, have reverted to a dedicated PC to run my AIM system.

Prior to my last race weekend I had a OP problem. After numerous troubleshooting attempts, I decided it was the VDO sender (the big one with the screw terminals) and decided to race with no OP indication. During this troubleshooting I may have changed the configuration of the dash trying to determine if I had a sender problem, or a channel problem in the dash. I don't recall.

To complicate matters, between the last race weekend and now the PC had a hard drive failure and so it now has a clean Win 10 install. I installed RaceStudio 2.56.84, which seems to be the latest. I downloaded the .cfg file from my backup and then cloned my dash, and the two matched.

I just purchased a new trailbrake OP sensor, and Its still not working - at least I can't see anything moving with the dash online and cranking to get some pressure. When online I can see the steering sensor and the throttle sensor move and the WT correlates with my garage temp.

So while troubleshooting I noticed this - in the channels window the steering sensor shows up as a thermocouple, but the other sensor types and assignments are OK. When I clicked on the thermocouple to change it, I got a long, vertical, and difficult to use window that did not include a mid zero pot.

Now look at the Online window. The steering sensor is correct, but the OP is a temp sensor, and the OT is a pressure sensor. The WT must be correct as 48 degrees is the ambient right now.

I haven't had to touch this thing in years. Perhaps there have been changes between the RS version I had on the PC before the drive replacement and this one, but after reading the online documentation, creating a new configuration and trying to assign the correct sensor types with the same problems I'm having with my old and cloned configs, I'm completely confused.

How can I get the sensors re-configured and the online to agree with the channels window???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 285

Online shows the configuration currently in the XGLog. The channels window represents a configuration on the PC.

You use Transmit to send the PC configuration to the XGLog, and Receive, to send the XGLog config to the PC (if that's the one you want). If that doesn't help, then I would just create a new configuration from scratch.

You can give me a call and I can help you out with this remotely using TeamViewer.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Thanks Dave. Yup - need help! Have tried to make a new config from scratch and are having the same issues. I have some stuff that needs to be done in the heat of the day but will call later or tomorrow.

Dave - In an effort to make sure I had my act together before calling you I managed to solve the problems I had modifying the .cfg file.

First, when selecting the sensor type and getting the long pulldown menu, you can't use the mouse scroll wheel. You have to leave the pointer on the box, and then use the arrow keys to move through the list. Then a number of sensors that were not available at first, including the pots, show up. To select one, you. cannot use a mouse click, you have to use a return.

So, after some trial and error I was able to correct and upload a new .cfg to the dash.

However, the new OP sensor shows 178 psi instead of zero! This is the KA150 sensor sold by Primus:

https://www.primusracingparts.com/Ai...or_p_1254.html

Its supposed to be compatible with AIM (I'm inferring that one uses the VDO sensor setup) but unless the resistance works in reverse of the VDO unit, I'm assuming this unit is junk. I hooked the old VDO unit up and it shows -5psi.

Rick,

The solid state sensors (like the KA 150, MSI and others on the AIM sensor list) have a different calibration than the VDO resistive type. You have to pick the proper sensor type to match your sensor.

That said, there are only two types of solid-state pressure sensor calibration (1v-5V, and .5v - 4.5v being more common). So if you don't see KA-150 on the sensor list, try the other 150 psi sensors, and if they don't read a large negative value when you have 0 psi then they are probably ok (0 psi will often read +/- 2 psi on the older AIM systems).

Hope that helps.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Thanks - it didn't come with any instructions or other data, so I'll see what I can find in the list

Looks like the only solid-state sensor in the XGLog list is the MSI 0-150 PSI, try that. If it doesn't work, you can create a custom sensor calibration that will certainly work.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

I called the guy at Trailbrake and he looked at his setup - it required a custom sensor 500mv=0psi and 4500mv=150 psi.

So race fans, if you have one of the new sensors and are still on RS2, this is the solution.

Also, evidently the display problems I ran into are because RS2 was not updated for Win10.

the only issue I have now? the pressure is shown as xx.x psi. Need to figure out how to get rid of the additional digit.

Thread Information