Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaJustice View Post
    Flags move (relative to your view). Dash lights don't. As someone who does sim racing where flags are always displayed in the same spot of the screen, that's a very significant factor.
    This is why you notice that low oil pressure or high water temp light.

I'm okay with a strip of LEDs added to my dash, but I want information in the places I already look.
    - Forward 85%
    - Mirrors 10%
    - Dash 3%
    - Flag Station 2%

(Just guessing on the %) - but the dash is mostly peripheral unless I'm looking for some specific info (lap time in Q, etc)

I don't want another place to look.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Good advice. Wait for a mature product. Tell that to the SCCA.

A 360-post (so far) thread, summed up in one line.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4359

it is so amusing that people think that one undeveloped tool will cure all our troubles.

Did anyone watch the Laguna Indycar race?

We have a professional race series. Race control has video, a more developed FT-type system, many professional officials, communication with all teams, and many years of experience with these tools.

The teams have professional staff using all these tools plus real-time data and radio communication with their drivers.

The drivers are professional drivers with all the same technology as above. They also have extensive training, experience, and skills that make them some of the best in the world. Presumably they have some understanding of physics and contact between moving objects. Presumably, they have been trained in such procedures such as following team and official instructions when re-entering the track after incidents (especially considering the limiting lateral visibility caused by safety equipment in their cars.)

So why did 95% of the drivers make repeated errors resulting in damaged cars, ruined races, and continuous yellows? We even had a 3-time Indy winner look like the world's biggest moron by spinning off while battling for last place, and then trying to take out the leader by pulling onto the track without guidance from his team or officials. The reason is because our sport/business requires constant decisions by human beings in the heat of battle. If these guys can get it so wrong, how can we expect volunteer senior citizens in race control and "joe the plumber" amateur racers to get it right? I think that too much technology is much of the problem for many of the officials and drivers. Please note that I am a senior citizen myself and well aware of my limitations in multi-tasking with the current technology while restrained in the car by a device that won't even allow me to assess my environment by moving my head laterally.

Some people are going to make lots and lots of money selling an evolving but immature technology. This whole process needs to be slowed down. Let us start by having officials and racers improve their operation with the current technology and processes.
    Last edited by problemchild; 09.20.23 at 8:51 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

5. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    This is why you notice that low oil pressure or high water temp light.

I'm okay with a strip of LEDs added to my dash, but I want information in the places I already look.
    - Forward 85%
    - Mirrors 10%
    - Dash 3%
    - Flag Station 2%
    My oil pressure light is so bright that with peripheral vision I could probably see the glow if it were down between my knees. I don't need to look right at ANY of my lights to know when one comes on (or the shift lights flash). Flags, not so much, though a vigorous enough wave may catch my attention.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 57

Thank you for the feedback and the productive dialog. We are excited to be working with you as racers and the SCCA. We do plan to offer niche variants to make install as simple as possible in these tight cockpit scenarios. We'll be busy at runoffs so may not have time to check back here over the next few weeks. Good luck, race safe, and we hope you have a great race event!

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Good advice. Wait for a mature product. Tell that to the SCCA.
    Clever spin! Thousands of units across millions of miles of race use for several years and rave reviews from race control speak loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    shielded twisted pair won't work?
    It may, it may not. That internal bus isn't protected and isn't meant for external exposure. Take ESD precautions before touching the components.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Considering all the discussion about the development and evolution of the product (even from the manufacturer), I am having difficulty believing that this will be a "one time purchase".
    We've maintained the same platform for years now. Initial design involved glorious overkill levels of resources, expandability, and substantial forethought from years of automotive design. We have tweaked the hardware over the years and SCCA is getting 3rd generation production hardware. This is transparent to the racer as we don't deprecate your FTxxx revision 1 when FTxxx revision 3 comes out as some consumer electronics manufacturers do.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaJustice View Post
    But actually, that brings me to a very relevant point.

Is there a way to train on Flagtronics?

1. You should be able to sit in the cockpit and have a buddy send test flags to you. This would help you train your recognition when sitting in the actual car.
    2. Can we get an identical module that wires into a PC over USB for use in iRacing/Asseto Corsa/whatever? I am aware you can get light doohickeys out there, but the value here would be that you can mount the literal exact same thing in the same place in your sim rig.

I would also argue that before Flagtronics is made mandatory for events below the Runoffs tier, it should be enabled at all tracks which have SCCA drivers' schools and new drivers should be drilled on it there.
    The FT200 does currently have USB for PC connection but the communication method is via a drive, not a serial communication method. There are ways to implement and we do plan this but it will take some time. Any pressure or contacts towards this goal with Sim makers will definitely help.

Quote Originally Posted by vtjballeng View Post
    Clever spin! Thousands of units across millions of miles of race use for several years and rave reviews from race control speak loudly.
    Race control loves it. Great. Door-slammers and tracks have figured out to install it. Ok. You've figured out the software and SOME of the hardware. How many millions of miles were there in open wheel formula cars?

This isn't about you. You admit you still have work to do for tight cockpits. My beef is required adoption before your technology is ready for all of us. When it's mature, I think you'll have a very good thing. Meanwhile, I'll say SCCA is all about autocross and gimmick rallies, as it was back when it thrived in New England. Racing is just a sideline.

BTW, I still run Replay cameras...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 300

Flags moving is a very good point! I missed the black flag at Pitt in June and after looking around throughout the day, I kinda figured the problem was flaggers just hanging the flag out of the stand which are brown. I did tell the steward about the problem and he said that he would let the flaggers know.

At Nelson last weekend there was a black flag in the first test session and I went and told the person hosting the day that the flaggers were vigorously waving the flags and very easy to see. He did agree with me and said thanks and he would pass it on to them for doing a good job.

Ed

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

As another quick example of how visible the flag boards are in low-visibility rain/fog... this video does a really good job, especially considering how we know cameras are worse than our eyes on track. This session got to be absolutely miserable, but again, the LED boards were visible thru the spray & fogged visors. You were NOT going to see the flags otherwise.

https://youtu.be/-Fn2EWc7iRE?si=luwbA2m15dkrUWpU

Thank you for the feedback and the productive dialog. We are excited to be working with you as racers and the SCCA. We do plan to offer niche variants to make install as simple as possible in these tight cockpit scenarios.
    I know this may be a bit of an ask... but would it be possible for FT to kinda maybe show us almost real-time concepts & development of the "niche variants" for formula cars in this thread?
    That may help soothe user nerves, and given the list of feature/option suggestions so far, also help FT come up with a more widely accepted product right away.

The FT200 does currently have USB for PC connection but the communication method is via a drive, not a serial communication method. There are ways to implement and we do plan this but it will take some time. Any pressure or contacts towards this goal with Sim makers will definitely help.
    ApexSpeed member Mike Hinkle is a New England FV racer, and works at iRacing... just throwing that out there.
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/mem...666-mikehinkle
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

13. The following members LIKED this post:

I am surprised this has yet to come up in the 369 posts but, will there be "period correct" versions available for vintage racers?

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 841

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    ... This session got to be absolutely miserable, but again, the LED boards were visible thru the spray & fogged visors. You were NOT going to see the flags otherwise.

https://youtu.be/-Fn2EWc7iRE?si=luwbA2m15dkrUWpU

2 questions right off.. WHY was there a YELLOW showing at T2 right after the start .. T1, T3, were green.
    #2.. It seemed pretty obvious to me that there was a FCY going into the boot on L1.. yet Nathan continued to BLAST AT SPEED .. why?? Makes it pretty much impossible for anyone to 'close the gap' under FCY. He continues 'at speed' through lap2.. still under FCY. Has he NOT read the many times repeated .. Leader should drop to pace lap speed.. ?? FINALLY, he catches a 'back marker' coming out of the boot and blasts right past him .. at speed. He finally slows down 'a little', but continues and blasts by another 'back marker' on the front straight on the 3rd lap. What's going on here ?? Nathan IS showing remarkable car control in bad WET conditions... but.. he isn't supposed to be doing that. Half way through L3, the yellows disappear. It IS also a remarkable 'point' for the LED 'billboard flags', but ... What am I missing here?
    Finally on lap 5 (maybe something else since there's a 'clip' in the video that might have dropped 1 or more laps. I can't understand what he's saying, but SEEMS he's finally slowed down in response to something someone told him on the radio? The camera view is pretty much TOTALLY OBSCURED by now. I can only hope that Nathan can see better than the camera. AH.. he wipes his shield (or whatever is in front of the camera) and NOW we can see he's run up on the pace car and HAS to slow down.
    I don't understand... I guess I'm confused. Then the vid ends behind the PC.. and I can finally understand him saying "I'm so glad I kept it off the walls".. I think .
    Was he NOT passing cars under the yellow?? somehow?
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

This boat has sailed. Why should SCCA wait for a 'hardware solution' for fewer than 10% of competitors? There is no administrative reason that those 10% cannot be exempted until a remote display, etc. is provided.

This platform is very well established and in current use. Nothing to the contrary has been posted on this thread.

Changes to the implementation software is where the development is at. This is somewhat sanction body specific. The only way SCCA gets this perfect is to actually use the system and make software changes. This is how ii is being done in Champcar with no major issues reported.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    2 questions right off.. WHY was there a YELLOW showing at T2 right after the start .. T1, T3, were green.
    I was in that race in a F2000... those were actually yellow/red "oil" flags because it was slippery, we were never under FCY until lap 5 or whatever.... the color isn't coming thru too good in the video. my main point was the brightness of it.

at the 7:13 mark he has a near-miss with the wall, and unfortunately was not the only one... the rain picked up quick there & all of us had issues. I got demolished from behind, you can barely make us out sitting there at 9:53, when they finally threw the FCY.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    I was in that race in a F2000... those were actually yellow/red "oil" flags because it was slippery, we were never under FCY until lap 5 or whatever.... the color isn't coming thru too good in the video. my main point was the brightness of it.
    Bright but the yellow/red does not come through. Just blurs together.

Maybe instead if mimicking the stripped yellow/red flag exactly they could split the screen half yellow half red.
    Same with yellow/blue.

They would be much easier to distinguish at a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Bright but the yellow/red does not come through. Just blurs together.

Maybe instead if mimicking the stripped yellow/red flag exactly they could split the screen half yellow half red.
    Same with yellow/blue.

They would be much easier to distinguish at a distance.
    maybe. I would have to see it more in person. the video definitely makes it harder to distinguish, but it worked decent on track.
    I was thinking if they just made the stripes a little wider, that would be ok. doing a 50/50 split may be confusing to some.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

Yellow with a red X and border, blue with a red X and border, but it depends on how many "pixels" they have to work with.

This is all kind of interesting to me from another standpoint. This is all about cognitive human factors. Many of the projects I worked on for the Navy had cognitive human factors at the center of them. To quote an old friend who was an F-14 RIO "how do you get someone's attention when their IQ shrinks to their shoe size?"

Now the Navy and Air Force did thousands of man-years of research in this area in the 50's through the 80's (not nearly as much since, despite the appearance of huge flat panel color displays). So what's been done with some real scientific rigor for race cars? Likely nothing. Yet there are a lot of good simulators out there to make collecting data easy. Before today's military simulators, we'd take the cockpit from a crashed aircraft, put it on a stand, spend several man-years in duplicating all the power and buttonology requirements for use in a lab, project scenery in front of the pilot, and then tape the exercise before spending 10x the time doing analysis of the tapes. It's not nearly that hard anymore.

Heck, you could drag a simulator to the track in a trailer and you'd get a hundred data points every weekend.

After last year's University of Vara we were going over Lessons Learned and discussing the number of out-of-zone passes that people got called for (we limit passing to specific straightaways and gradually open up more as the students progress). In an earlier attempt to address this we built a sign board with 2'x2' panels that had the number of the zone in red on a white background. If it's just the number, the zone is open. If its the number in a circle and slash, it's closed for passing. This monster board of hanging signs is located right at pit out, we point to it as they roll, we discuss it in the pre-session meeting, and 90% of the students or more have an instructor in the car. And still we get violations.....

And its much different for open car vs closed. In an open car, you just look up. In a closed car, you're ducking and trying to see around the mirrors, and the nets, and the pillars, and the guy in the other seat.

So I call up some guys at the DOT's research lab, asking them what standards and research are available that would be applicable for this situation and guess what - nothing. They're focused on the green, yellow, and white signage you see every day that's been stable for nearly a hundred years.

Well someone has a good idea of what works, otherwise the billboard companies wouldn't pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to put a huge Las Vegas LED panel right next to the freeway to distract you.

If you want to see how badly this is done in cars, just look at some of the flat screen MMIs that you encounter - and those guys have serious money. They just don't think it matters all that much.

And OBTW, this needs to be done for effing rain lights as well.....

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    This boat has sailed. Why should SCCA wait for a 'hardware solution' for fewer than 10% of competitors? There is no administrative reason that those 10% cannot be exempted until a remote display, etc. is provided.
    Are you listening SCCA? Or do we now need to mobilize another letter campaign?
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default exemption

Brian, re post 371 , as a member of the CRB (I think) when are you going to campaign for that exemption for those with no place to put the unit?

Liked: 115

Default FT

I've read all 377 posts with great interest and have come to the conclusion that this is SCCA and SCCA will do what they want, when they want and membership be damned...

29. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 282

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Brian, re post 371 , as a member of the CRB (I think) when are you going to campaign for that exemption for those with no place to put the unit?
    Brian is not on the CRB

Liked: 707

Brian, re post 371 , as a member of the CRB (I think)
    This information is readily available when you log in to scca.com.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for setting me straight Fred!!!

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 647

Some people are going to make lots and lots of money selling an evolving but immature technology. This whole process needs to be slowed down. Let us start by having officials and racers improve their operation with the current technology and processes.
    Gregg:

I agree with you wholeheartedly, friend. Again, this is not a growth industry, and we need to be penny smart. The technology is there by virtue lap transponders.
    V/r

Iverson

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 647

Gregg:

I agree with you wholeheartedly, friend. Again, this is not a growth industry, and we need to be penny smart. The technology is there by virtue lap transponders.
    V/r

Iverson

37. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Grefg Rice Post

"Some people are going to make lots and lots of money selling an evolving but immature technology. This whole process needs to be slowed down. Let us start by having officials and racers improve their operation with the current technology and processes."

That is right on the money. Let the tech mature rather than making people spend money on it before it is ready

There are enough superfluous expenses in club racing without adding another one

39. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3315

Default FRP opinion on this

Recent email response (blue bold text) from Bob Wright, FRP, not a prediction of what SCCA will do:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Makes sense. At this point we will probably not make it mandatory next year. A little early for prime time ?

On Sep 20, 2023, at 1:04 PM, Dave Weitzenhof wrote:

Bob,

Sounds like there may be more space-efficient versions coming out sometime soon. So I plan to wait for one that has dimensions that will fit better (visibility, function, and steering wheel clearance) in my Citation before I buy one.

------------------------------------------------------
    Dave Weitzenhof

41. The following members LIKED this post:

I cannot say that I noticed a big improvement in reduced full course caution time at the Runoffs.

The extended FCC time seemed to be a reflection on the competency of SCCA race operations. In the SMX race for example, they raced for 1/2 a lap, then drove around for 35 minutes behind the pace car, before checkering the race. Yes, I can appreciate that race control is a complicated job, but could someone not have realized that 50 mins was required to repair the track? It was evident, based on previous issues) that once the backhoe was required, the FCC would be extended by at least 20 mins.

Clearly, there are operational issues that need to be fixed, that FT will not fix.

43. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Here you go again blaming everything on SCCA race control. There was no way to know what the significances of using a backhoe for repairs might imply. They are trained for race control, not track maintenance.

The Flagtronic system is going to shorten FCY periods , not eliminate them.

Brian

Liked: 841

In the case of THIS runoffs, there were so few Flagtronics units in play they could not really be used to determine much. If the field is 'fully saturated', the results would be much better. The valuable thing for SCCA Race Control is that the unit will provide the 'exact' (more or less) position of ALL cars.. including any that might be OFF COURSE or 'in a tire wall'. Additionally, it provides 'guidance' about the severity of the incident by reporting the appox G-Force that impacting cars experience. THAT info can give RC a MUCH improved ability to make a decision as to how long an FCY situation might need to be.

I don't really have any idea HOW MANY were in play, but would think that the SMX class would likely be 'more populated' with Flagtronics units than any other class during the event.

BTW... the backhoe is generally used to MOVE TIRE BOLTS around and assist if there is significant guard rail damage. The front bucket is the most used part, but occasionally the rear backhoe is called into action. Both the backhoe and the truck/Trailer carrying new tire bolts move around the track at a snails pace. Seemed about 1 LAP of FCY after they leave their stations to get to the location of the incident... and they generally don't leave their stations before at least 1 lap of FCY has occurred - generally MORE than that since they both also wait for the EV 'evaluation team' to arrive on site and assess the damage and need for the other 2. I really have no idea if FT would have improved that. They can't really impose a 'Pink/35' or any other speed unless the entire field has it.

The 3 pace car implementation can make things WORSE if most of the cars are still packed up - like near the start. Personally, I was assigned my own PRIVATE PACECAR during Q2.. which placed me on the opposite side of the track from the rest of the field when we were finally released from the pace car(s).
    Steve
    Proviso - I saw NOTHING of the SMX race since I was working on my car at the time, so I know NOTHING about the incident. I didn't even hear the PA.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Default Frp

Makes sense. At this point we will probably not make it mandatory next year. A little early for prime time ?

FRP is doing it right.... Listening to their customers AS NORMAL

47. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 707

FRP is doing it right.... Listening to their customers AS NORMAL
    The SCCA also has not mandated it until the 2024 Runoffs. Although they've left themselves that option:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Contributing Member

Competitors need to get clear in their mind what the Flagtronic system can do for you.

1) It can alert you of yellow flag zones and help prevent more accident activity in that zone if the drivers follow proper yellow flag procedures.

From all the Runoff races I followed, I think I saw only one post accident in a yellow zone. Car lost control and slid off track.

The Flagtronic system does not help prevent driver errors on/in green flag zones.

2) Unless the whole run group has the system (race control can tell) then there will be no use of the VPC feature, Code XX. It is very unlikely any run group was fully subscribed.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Here you go again blaming everything on SCCA race control. There was no way to know what the significances of using a backhoe for repairs might imply. They are trained for race control, not track maintenance.

Well, yeah. Somebody needs to accept that race control has serious issues which will not be solved by a money-grabbing new toy. If by Saturday morning, we had figured out that the backhoe activation meant extended delays, then surely someone in race control should have been able to form the same conclusion. The TV coverage should have helped significantly. If the TV coverage was not used as a tool, then that just supports my assertions.

Having the field drive behind the pace car for over 30 minutes is inexcusable, and I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise. Would you be understanding of the process if it was you who spent all the time and money to be there, raced for less than a lap, and then followed the pace car for 30+ minutes before being checkered?

51. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

... accept that race control has serious issues...
    This is you opinion...always has been. Just because someone disagrees with how a situation is handled does not make it a serious issue that needs solving.

I have experienced FCY racing many times, so do not say that I have no understanding. Ruined races have aways been part of SCCA racing and always will be. Every run group should eat the delays they create. I have no empathy for such situations, nor expect any. There is no crying in motor racing.

The SMX race: I am going to ASSUME: Race control has a script for almost every race situation by this time. The only judgement involved is choosing what script to follow based on the facts of the situation. The Runoff race groups had specific time frames. Even though SMX was the last event, I can imagine that there was a contractual shut down time for the day.

So, driving around behind the pace car or sitting in the pits, does it really matter? I think not.

Brian

I cannot say that I noticed a big improvement in reduced full course caution time at the Runoffs.

The extended FCC time seemed to be a reflection on the competency of SCCA race operations. In the SMX race for example, they raced for 1/2 a lap, then drove around for 35 minutes behind the pace car, before checkering the race. Yes, I can appreciate that race control is a complicated job, but could someone not have realized that 50 mins was required to repair the track? It was evident, based on previous issues) that once the backhoe was required, the FCC would be extended by at least 20 mins.

Clearly, there are operational issues that need to be fixed, that FT will not fix.

I was not in race control, but their thinking was pretty clear and understandable.

It was a 40-minute race. Clock stoppages are at the discretion of the race director. (From the supps:" Clock stoppages will be at the discretion of the Race Director and are NON-PROTESTABLE.") Since SMX was essentially a demonstration race, not a championship race, and since there was going to be a second race, I can understand why the race director would not stop the clock for a BFA. I believe they did stop the clock for at least one championship race.

Further, until one knows the full extent of the cleanup time, it is always better to keep cars circulating behind the SC. Bringing the cars into the pits under BFA means another (slow) pace lap, and less potential racing. Having the cars already on track under FCY speeds up any return to racing.

If I were race director, I would have made the same decision: Have the pack circulate behind the safety car until it became impossible to go back to Green, then Checker. Given the non-championship status of the SMX races, do not stop the clock.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

I find it mind-blowing that we treat "customers" this way. That some people accept mediocracy/incompetence is beyond my comprehension. If I ran my business that way, or anybody else ran their business as such, that business would fail immediately.

Does it matter that SMX is not a championship race? They paid their money. Based on 17 cars, they contributed more to the entry fee revenue than half the other races. In terms of "the show" for spectators they would be one of the better races. Every class should get a minimum of 4 laps of racing. That definitely falls into the "mediocracy" status but it is better than zero.

That people believe that a new toy will fix all these problems is also mind-blowing.

The racing I saw was very good. There was just not enough of it. The delays in activating the backhoe were unnecessary. As soon as we saw that backhoe appear, we knew that it was going to be an extended delay, and usually gave up our viewing spot and headed back to the cooler for supplies.

If the product is to be improved, race operations needs to do a better job. Period!

In a perfect world, those two Miatas would not have gone into the tire wall and you would have enjoyed an exciting 15-lap SMX race.

However, once they did put themselves into the tire wall, it stopped being a perfect world, and the question became: How to allocate the cost (i.e. time to repair the tire wall) for their incident?

Given that it was a demonstration race, not a championship race, it was a reasonable decision not to stop the clock, and to assign the time cost to SMX. I note that race control did stop the clock for at least one championship race.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

56. The following members LIKED this post:

That people believe that a new toy will fix all these problems is also mind-blowing.
    If the product is to be improved, race operations needs to do a better job. Period!
    The ONLY situation that could possibly see improvement with the 'new toy' is a local yellow,
    when crews need to get on track with the race cars and remove a disabled car.
    Slowing the field with the Purple 85 will get crews on and off faster.

But that is going to take PRACTICE and TRUST and FULL participation.

Other than that, it will become a tool of disagreement (like video can be) if the RD starts to hand out penalties for speeding or passing under yellow.

I'm waiting as long as I can on this.

58. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    In a perfect world, those two Miatas would not have gone into the tire wall and you would have enjoyed an exciting 15-lap SMX race.

However, once they did put themselves into the tire wall, it stopped being a perfect world, and the question became: How to allocate the cost (i.e. time to repair the tire wall) for their incident?

Given that it was a demonstration race, not a championship race, it was a reasonable decision not to stop the clock, and to assign the time cost to SMX. I note that race control did stop the clock for at least one championship race.
    Blame the customer! That is the logic that is the core of SCCA problems. Whether it was a championship race or not, they were customers who paid their way. There were 15 customers that did not crash, who paid their way to be there. SCCA just shrugged their shoulders and said "what do you want us to do?" Good leadership finds solutions to problems such as this. Saturday had an extra hour to work (GT1 cancelled) with but did they take advantage of that time? Did they add 8 or 10 minutes to each race? No. The FV race, among others, finished under yellow while the extra time was ignored.

It is no wonder that entries are down, especially in the classes that have options to race with other groups.

The SMX race was just one example of delays with poor conclusions. I am sure race control will blame their customers in those cases too. Are we still going to blame the customer once they pay $300 for FT?

60. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 353

Blame the customer! That is the logic that is the core of SCCA problems. Whether it was a championship race or not, they were customers who paid their way. There were 15 customers that did not crash, who paid their way to be there. SCCA just shrugged their shoulders and said "what do you want us to do?" Good leadership finds solutions to problems such as this. Saturday had an extra hour to work (GT1 cancelled) with but did they take advantage of that time? Did they add 8 or 10 minutes to each race? No. The FV race, among others, finished under yellow while the extra time was ignored.

It is no wonder that entries are down, especially in the classes that have options to race with other groups.

The SMX race was just one example of delays with poor conclusions. I am sure race control will blame their customers in those cases too. Are we still going to blame the customer once they pay $300 for FT?
    I wasn't at the Runoffs so can't comment on the specifics of this situation, but there is a general operating procedure that's followed everywhere whether it's a driver's school/regional, Majors, Super Tour, Runoffs or FRP. Any on track incident requiring ES and/or track maintenance response is effectively under their control, not Race Control. ES/track staff are in communication with Race Control and tell RC how long something will take. My limited experience at VIR suggests there may be a culture of less than perfect cooperation from track staff/ES. If maintenance misjudged recovery time, that's not on Race Control.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

62. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 20

Scratching my head on where I'm supposed to put this stupid thing in my Vee. Short of mounting it on the exterior body work, I got nothing. Between this FT and the rainlight nonsense, I can't wait to finish up my next car that will allow me to race outside of SCCA events to maintain a current comp license.

Attached Images Attached Images

64. The following 4 users liked this post:

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information