Liked: 0

Default Telemetry analysis through Augmented Reality

Hi guys, I'm involved in a project focused on developing Augmented Reality solutions for improving drivers' life. One of those is an AR video generator, which can be used for projecting on a camera car video real trajectories of previous laps as a "ghost car" on-track:

I think that this type of technology could be really helpful for drivers and racing team in order to make an easier comparison between different laps and to better visualize the telemetry data.

What do you think?
    Do you see other interesting applications of this technology?

If you want further info, I will be happy to share!

Liked: 530

This looks like it would be very helpful to help understand data, especially when individuals are trying to do everything themselves. It would make it readily apparent to see where the gains or losses are versus a prior lap or a best lap from the session.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    This looks like it would be very helpful to help understand data, especially when individuals are trying to do everything themselves. It would make it readily apparent to see where the gains or losses are versus a prior lap or a best lap from the session.
    Exactly! You got the point, it is exactly the type of use case I was imagining. When you say "individuals which tries to do everything by themselves", which category of drivers are you referring to?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by mcentu View Post
    Exactly! You got the point, it is exactly the type of use case I was imagining. When you say "individuals which tries to do everything by themselves", which category of drivers are you referring to?
    I believe he means drivers that do their own analysis - they do not have coaches or team data analysts.

Which accounts for probably 75% of the fields.

So what data sources can be used with AR ? Our AIM data?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Very interesting. What data does it take? Could you put a ghost car on an already recorded video from a different data or video file?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    Very interesting. What data does it take? Could you put a ghost car on an already recorded video from a different data or video file?
    This might not be too hard to do with the data in Aim RS3, using one lap video as the base and just ghosting in the other lap video since RS3 already syncs the laps by GPS position. Someone should ask Emiliano.

Quote Originally Posted by BorkRacing View Post
    This might not be too hard to do with the data in Aim RS3, using one lap video as the base and just ghosting in the other lap video since RS3 already syncs the laps by GPS position. Someone should ask Emiliano.
    Very interesting topic! To deliver an high quality video (very stable ghost car) we need more data about the vehicle dynamic than just GPS, otherwise you can't replicate the steering or the pitching and the visual experience is not realistic.

Anyway I see very reasonable to try to develop something working on top of existing data and devices.

Yes I meant for drivers who don’t have data engineers or coaches. Who also barely have enough time to ready their car, race and get back home before work on Monday.
    As others have alluded, there are ways to do a 80% solution of what the OP is working on but it can be a bit time consuming and tedious. And for those of us very short on time, a tool or software that simplifies the effort and speeds it up would be a great utility. Especially if you are trying to learn at the track, in between sessions.

think AIM RS3 with a “compare laps via ghost video” functionality.
    with option to import data from other systems in case a cohort has data to compare with yours.

mcentu - PM me privately for an idea that would really put this over the top…. I’ll call you to discuss

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I believe he means drivers that do their own analysis - they do not have coaches or team data analysts.

Which accounts for probably 75% of the fields.

So what data sources can be used with AR ? Our AIM data?
    Hey BeerBudgetRacing, I was talking with the team and it would be really useful to know which is the typical data format and which data you get from AIM (GPS, accelerations, speed...??). How accurate is the GPS?

Would it be possible for you to share a sample dataset?

Maybe in PM

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Hey BeerBudgetRacing, I was talking with the team and it would be really useful to know which is the typical data format and which data you get from AIM (GPS, accelerations, speed...??). How accurate is the GPS?

Maybe in PM
    Shoot me an email at Matt@TrailBrake.com and I can send you an AiM data file. The output from the dash is an xrk file, but they have an API I can direct you to and users can export a few different formats of csv, Matlab, and others.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Maybe in PM
    Matt is your man for that (Romoman). Get in touch with him.

All that data. The new GPS module is accurate to .5 meters. The old one is about 1 meter.

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Matt is your man for that (Romoman). Get in touch with him.

All that data. The new GPS module is accurate to .5 meters. The old one is about 1 meter.

Interested and agree that Matt is your go to for making this work with AIM, which is by far the most dominant device in club racing.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

I can send AIM data and videos synced with the data.

also isn’t AiM based in Milan also?

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 142

sounds pretty interesting. following this thread!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information