Liked: 322

Default Pyrotect harness comments?

I was looking at a new harness purchase and was considering Pyrotect. Does anyone have input on quality or other experiences with them?

I have always used Crow (and liked them a lot) but I see Pyrotect is FIA certified and is about the same price as Crow.

I would like to see if I can get them without the “pull up/pull down” adjusters.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

I have had great luck with all Pyrotech safety gear.
    I just installed their formula car belts with pull up .
    Good smooth adjusters with lighter weight than Simpsons.
    Got them from Summit Racing using 10% off SCCA discount..
    Also use their helmets and Fuel Cells

Thanks, how low profile are the pull up adjusters? We don’t have much room in Formula cars and a pressure point is something I want to avoid.

can you tell me how long the lap belts are from center of cam lock to end of lap belt (to but not including the sewn in loop)? I would like to see if the pull up is long enough to convert into a fixed length lap belt. Pyrotect says they don’t offer that and mods from them would be outside of their FIA cert..
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    Thanks, how low profile are the pull up adjusters? We don’t have much room in Formula cars and a pressure point is something I want to avoid.

can you tell me how long the lap belts are from center of cam lock to end of lap belt (to but not including the sewn in loop)? I would like to see if the pull up is long enough to convert into a fixed length lap belt. Pyrotect says they don’t offer that and mods from them would be outside of their FIA cert..
    I had fixed lap belts on the car before the new Pyrotech belts. These are no more intrusive on the hips.
    I think you could remove adjuster and just use a bolt in web tab like on the shoulder belts.
    there is plenty of extra webbing . The belt without adjuster is about 22 inches from center latch to the looped end . Summit racing said I could return mine if they didn't work out.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I've used their belts for 20 years now. Same hardware for more than 20 of those, just kept having them re-webbed.

I bought their FIA set two years ago. There are aspects of the old stuff I liked better, and aspects of the new stuff I liked better. IIRC, I asked for specific lengths and I received a standard set. I'm thinking that with the FIA cert they just don't do custom anymore. it would be fine with me to just mod the FIA set and go with a SFI cert, but I bet these are contract manufactured somewhere else.

I'm a big guy in a small car - i think the Royale is a bit roomier than the Van Diemen. I've had pull up adjusters from day 1 and never had a problem with the hardware rubbing me, and I have a 38" waist.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Thank you all for the info.

They mention the length of the shoulder belts on their site but not the subs.. I assume there is plenty of length to run under your legs to the lap mounting point?
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    Thank you all for the info.

They mention the length of the shoulder belts on their site but not the subs.. I assume there is plenty of length to run under your legs to the lap mounting point?
    plenty

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

There are 2 FIA sets, I got the 2” belts for my son’s car and will probably get a set for my car this year.

My only comment to them was the lap belts had a slight bend in the mounting brackets. I would have liked to have then perfectly flat (like the shoulder bracket) but don’t know if this is standard or just a one off. Sewn in laps do get away from that extra adjusting bracket which can pinch, but you cannot change the mounting bracket....

The pictures of the 3” FIA lap (you can get HANS shoulders) show sewn in clip in mounts….as above they might also not be able to be changed. I have bolted in the clip in brackets, but some tech inspectors may not like it. Shoulder and sub belts can be changed.

I did use the SFI belts and they had more options on the mounting style (I believe even wrap around for some older cars). If you buy them after Jan 1 you can sneak 3 years of use out of them.

ChrisZ

PS - I have noticed Schroth offers "Non Adjustable" lap and sub belts. They are of course adjustable when installed, not driver adjustable. I have seen other manufactures make one side of the lap belt totally sewn to eliminate some brackets yet still allow the driver to tighten the belts. your waist may vary....

Thread Information