Liked: 322

Default Royale RP31 radiator update

I have had some positive movement in parts allocation of my new Royale.

The car came with a decent pair of brass radiators that were smaller than the openings in the side panels. No problem, I planned on making some sheet aluminum filler plates and use them until I had a new pair of aluminum radiators made up.

I was searching the web to see if there were some ‘off the shelf’ aftermarket radiators that could be modified (cut down, make a double pass, etc) inexpensively when I found what may be the perfect replacement. An aftermarket radiator for a FIAT Cinquecento is the correct length, thickness and about 3/4” shorter in height. I plan on using a hard rubber strip to mount and take up the space to fit snugly.

I purchased one originally just to confirm fitment and quality. Yes, they are an inexpensive Chinese part but look very well made. Only time will tell. I purchased a second once I was convinced they would work.

Anyone with an RP31 might want to keep these in mind if replacements are needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

2. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 4

That is exactly what i have been looking for. Do you mind sharing where you got them? I have a barn find rp31 that i am working on also. Any idea where i can get a header? car looks great. Thanks, Jim .

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

I used two ebay aluminum radiators that were made for an ATV. Been using them without a problem for 6 years. Just my 2c.
    Graham

5. The following members LIKED this post:

eBay. Search “cinquecento radiator” and they will come up. I believe ALL of the radiators sold by the different sellers are made by the same company -GPI Racing (my box was labeled with that and I can’t believe there is enough demand for multiple manufacurers). GPIRACING.com has a pretty good website that you can look through to find a particular size/spec. Once you know what cars part fits you can search for that. I think GPI is in Australia, so shipping from the source may be an issue.

one problem with the aftermarket radiators is that a lot are 3 row, which won’t fit in the RP31 side pod.

Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    That is exactly what i have been looking for. Do you mind sharing where you got them? I have a barn find rp31 that i am working on also. Any idea where i can get a header? car looks great. Thanks, Jim .
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 157

Default Austin Mini Metro also fits

But is almost impossible to find. I think that was the original plastic endcap dual pass radiator the cars were designed to use. I had a few of them and went hunting based on the part number on the rad

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Default Can you see a part number or code on you box or radiator?

Can you see a part number or code on your box or radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    I have had some positive movement in parts allocation of my new Royale.

The car came with a decent pair of brass radiators that were smaller than the openings in the side panels. No problem, I planned on making some sheet aluminum filler plates and use them until I had a new pair of aluminum radiators made up.

I was searching the web to see if there were some ‘off the shelf’ aftermarket radiators that could be modified (cut down, make a double pass, etc) inexpensively when I found what may be the perfect replacement. An aftermarket radiator for a FIAT Cinquecento is the correct length, thickness and about 3/4” shorter in height. I plan on using a hard rubber strip to mount and take up the space to fit snugly.

I purchased one originally just to confirm fitment and quality. Yes, they are an inexpensive Chinese part but look very well made. Only time will tell. I purchased a second once I was convinced they would work.

Anyone with an RP31 might want to keep these in mind if replacements are needed.

https://gpiracing.com/products/alumi...f7446a47&_ss=r

Worley Cooling out of Australia looks like they carry it (at least they have an eBay listing). I didn’t see it on their website
    Last edited by scorp997; 02.01.23 at 10:52 PM.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Thread Information