Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default cheap FF transport wheel options?

Okay, I am losing my shop, and to add insult to injury, it looks like my new driveway has too much angle to roll the car from the road into the garage. Just to rub salt in the wound, I sold my spare set of rims during the "decluttering" phase... So I am looking for cheap options for transport tires that will give me some increased ride height. Any suggestions?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

A set of junk wheels and the tallest 13" tires you can find on Amazon pumped up to 50psi
    That's what I did for my RF81 and it gets me about 4" of ride height.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

years ago I heard that 80's VW golf rims have a center hole and bolt spacing that works without a lot of extra trouble.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default Paddock wheels

Look into Miata wheels. I had an FE long and they worked somehow.
    Hybels

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 108

Default Cheap

While in a pinch I made a set for the front from plastic wheelchair wheels. Found a $50 chair on Craigslist. For me raising the front was enough as the rear is seldom the problem.

Liked: 183

Can you back the trailer up to the garage? Then use ramps to get the right angles you need. That's what I had to do when my shop space changed.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Okay, I am losing my shop, and to add insult to injury, it looks like my new driveway has too much angle to roll the car from the road into the garage. Just to rub salt in the wound, I sold my spare set of rims during the "decluttering" phase... So I am looking for cheap options for transport tires that will give me some increased ride height. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    Can you back the trailer up to the garage? Then use ramps to get the angles you need. That's what I had to do when my shop space changed.
    I don't have transport wheels, so that's what I do - there's no way I can roll my F2000 out of the shop at all with 1" ground clearance.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Unfortunately, the new house comes with a very short driveway and a road far too narrow to back up the rig at any reasonable angle to off load the car that way. Fortunately, I live near a junk-yard, so maybe I can find some cheap steel rims to match the Swift's bolt pattern.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Unfortunately, the new house comes with a very short driveway and a road far too narrow to back up the rig at any reasonable angle to off load the car that way. Fortunately, I live near a junk-yard, so maybe I can find some cheap steel rims to match the Swift's bolt pattern.
    You could try to find 15 or 16" mini-spare wheels. Probably a dime a dozen. May even have tires on them.
    Last edited by DaveW; 01.10.23 at 11:14 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

less cheap (maybe) is to find some old drum-brake front dirt bike rims. I think they are 19 to 21 inches. Remove the drum hardware and drill the plate for the center spud and drive pins. Use chinesium dirt bike tires and tubes.

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    less cheap (maybe) is to find some old drum-brake front dirt bike rims. I think they are 19 to 21 inches. Remove the drum hardware and drill the plate for the center spud and drive pins. Use chinesium dirt bike tires and tubes.
    +1

(Extra cool points for Borrani Records off of an vintage Moto-Guzzi Ambassador or Eldorado.)
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 490

Default wheels

Triumph Spitfire / Herald /TR-7 etc are the 3 3/4 bolt pattern.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 9

Are you any good at woodworking?

Quote Originally Posted by race14 View Post
    Are you any good at woodworking?
    I can build stuff, but my tool set is welders and grind wheels, not wood lathes and planers. Even the tools I have are packed. Still got a drill press and skillsaw though.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Jim-
    Is your swift 4 bolt or center lock? I might have a couple banged up 4 bolt FF wheels kicking around if it would help you.

I got a set of whitewalls from Summit for our Swift to make a transport set, it has about 3.5” of ground clearance with these suckers on, plus they look pretty stylie and we get a lot of compliments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

24. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by teamwisconsin View Post
    Jim-
    Is your swift 4 bolt or center lock? I might have a couple banged up 4 bolt FF wheels kicking around if it would help you.

I got a set of whitewalls from Summit for our Swift to make a transport set, it has about 3.5” of ground clearance with these suckers on, plus they look pretty stylie and we get a lot of compliments.
    Ethan, many thanks for the offer. My car is a 4 bolt. If I can’t find motorcycle tires soon I may take you up on ithe rims. They do add some 50s hot rod vibe!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Thread Information