Liked: 95

Default How many Ansons around?

Curious as to how many of these are still in the states and running.
    I'm aware of 2 SA4's in Norcal that run regularly.
    My SA6 which I hope to have running by summer. It's twin, Mike Mchugh's SA6 in Carson City that is currently parked.
    Anyone know the whereabouts of any others?

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1108

Curious timing, I almost wrote you a few days ago.

A good friend has SA04-04V*, in Ohio, bought from Richard Misek, and I’ve been trying since last year to find history! Mike McHugh is awesome (!), but didn’t research histories as we wished he had.

*Edit: Clarifying, the serial number on the stamp is SA4V 04.

We do know Terry McKenna drove it at the ‘85 Runoffs. The rear wing number made it obvious to me, so I’ve talked with Terry and he knows it was a Bertils car — but since Sollenskog was the importer anyway it doesn’t say enough. There’s a good chance overall that it was a Truesports car, I’ve talked with Ed Pimm but he had no records regarding chassis number.

“La Scuderia Raggi” posts on this forum, he and I briefly and recently discussed needing a registry. He has a SA4 in California — the former Tommy Byrne car. He knows of another SA4 in CA, and also one in Georgia.

These all make for six cars, a great start if we can all get together on data and histories.

This is of much interest to us, maybe two or three heads can be better than one...
    Last edited by E1pix; 01.02.23 at 12:47 AM.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Chuck Raggio is near me and has been a great help. I hung out with him the last CSRG race in October. He’s been a great help. Ed Ozzard is the other car here. I have yet to meet him. The best source I have found for info is oldracingcars.com. Some of the later years their results actually list chassis #s. With that I was able to determine my car was Johnny O’Connell’s. As best as I can tell Mchugh’s car is it’s sister car. Some of the documentation I got with mine includes a copy of the SCCA approval certificate for that car too.
    There is or was another SA4 in the northwest. It was green and I met the guy at the Rose Cuo races. I can’t remember his name. That car is what got me interested in these things. I’ll try to find out who he is I’ll also see if Chuck has any other info on the car in Georgia.
    I know of no other SA6 models except Mikes here in the states.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Vic Loh ran an SA-6 with VARA in the early 2000's time frame. It was red, don't know what happened to it, was for sale many years ago. Jon Giller owned another. Might check your logbooks for those names.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Unfortunately I have no log books. Just the original SCCA certificate. I have been able to trace mine back to its beginnings. Through both setup notes I got and contacting former owners. My car is/was red (now a lot of primer) but I'm pretty sure its not that one. I'll have to research that name and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the input.

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Vic Loh ran an SA-6 with VARA in the early 2000's time frame. It was red, don't know what happened to it, was for sale many years ago. Jon Giller owned another. Might check your logbooks for those names.
    Hi Rick, I think we may have had a discussion on my SA6 some years ago. Mine was Ed Hullinger & John Giller. Cheers Peter

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Quote Originally Posted by Raltracer View Post
    Hi Rick, I think we may have had a discussion on my SA6 some years ago. Mine was Ed Hullinger & John Giller. Cheers Peter
    John was a great guy. Gone too soon from pancreatic cancer.

This car is what gave me the Anson inspiration. He was in the paddock next to me 2 years in a row at the Rose Cup in Portland. 2014/2015 I think. Chatted him up pretty good. Even got a test sitting. His name is Robert Dunston from Washington. I can't find anything else online after this time frame. I wonder where this car is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The following members LIKED this post:

I’m told the green SA4 is now white and is the one belonging to Ed Ozzard here in NorCal.

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

I’ve determined my SA6 and the one Mike Mchugh has are the pair that Johnny O’Connell drove. They had always been a pair prior to 2 owners ago. Many of my notes mention Mark Landon as the owner at one point. I’ve found him on Facebook and he was a musician with Ike and Tina Turner. Efforts to contact him have not been fruitful.
    it seems aside from the SA4 in Ohio and maybe one in Georgia, everything else is here in the NorCal area. Aside from the F3 variants in Europe there has to be a few more hiding here in the states.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Finally got in contact with Vic Loh. His car was sold to a guy with a car dealership in Pennsylvania.It sat on the showroom for a while before being sold again. Wonder where it ended up?

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lastminuteracin View Post
    Finally got in contact with Vic Loh. His car was sold to a guy with a car dealership in Pennsylvania.It sat on the showroom for a while before being sold again. Wonder where it ended up?
    Sounds like my car. Ed Hullinger was at dealership. Cheers

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Replying on the fly without much structure, I’d love to help build even a simple registry database with all or part of the following:
    1). Chassis type/Serial number
    2). Original and subsequent owner(s)
    3). Original and subsequent driver(s)
    4). Current owner/location
    5). Number and location of races competed in
    6). And other info/photos/ads/race reports

This will not be easy, but it’ll never get finished if not started somehow, in some way.

I do know Allen Brown a little and I’m quite sure he’d cooperate and help. I think it’d benefit OldRacingCars.com to add Anson to its growing Super Vee histories.

I’d also start a similar thread on Autosport’s The Nostalgia Forum, a group I’m far more integrated with and having a lot of Brits, at the home of Anson.

I’ve also been told original builder Gary Anderson is still around and accessible.

Someone, somewhere, HAS to have the info sought on this thread.

I have been in touch with Gary Anderson. My questions were more general car questions vs history. I'm sure he'd be willing to help with what he remembers. I'm pretty confident I have the correct lineage for my car and Mchughs. Most of my research has been the SA6 and not the SA4. Where it all goes away record wise seems to be when the Super Vee series died off. Another problem in the race records I've found is the Ansons didn't list chassis numbers till later in the series. Most all the Ralts, etc show chassis numbers way further back. I should probably write all the stuff I've figured out down so I don't forget it.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

I’ll expand on the basic format above and plug in what I know so far — along with what you know.

That’ll at least give us a start, and in a format that’ll be structured for anyone like Gary to start recollecting.

One thing I already have is car numbers and drivers for every Anson in every S/V race in ‘83. Peter Moodie won Road America in ‘82 in an SA3 so I’ll add that in, then I’ll do the same for ‘84 up until the last Anson that raced in the States. At that point we’ll only need serial numbers and Euro histories.

Maybe with some European input we can find the few that raced there, too, in only F3 if I’m right.

My #1 interest is the original teams and drivers, because that’s integral to today’s liveries having authenticated roots. As a former sign and graphics guy doing over 500 race cars, I would love to see more vintage cars in general represent people’s memories at trackside. It’s awesome to witness and good for our sport.

Imagine if the legendary Penske/L&M Porsche 917/10 Can-Am car showed up at a vintage race with “Bob’s Muffler” graphics... I think the same respect for original liveries is best used no matter the class, and especially for Pro cars.

In this case, I owe a great friend in documenting his car so we can livery it correctly.
    Last edited by E1pix; 05.23.23 at 9:40 PM.

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information