Liked: 1868

Default IMS Ford GT40 shakedown

Had the privilege of participating (sort of! - I do some machine work for the restoration shop) in the shakedown of the iconic Ford GT40 by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. Absolutely incredible car that had a massive role in shaping the future of motor racing in not just the US, but the whole world.

By today's standards, where everything is designed by computer - CAD, FEA, CFD - this was when the eyeball, intuition, and the slide rule were the primary tools - the GT40 would be considered crude if you didn't know that it was designed in the early 1960's. By the standards of the 1960's, it was an automotive engineering marvel and milestone.

My only regret with my invitation is that they didn't let me test drive it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86aPfU_Ry7U&t=1s
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 11 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Bob Riley was a huge part of the GT40s success.
    Graham

Thread Information