Thread: 593 No Joy

Liked: 307

Default 593 No Joy

The current 593 installed in my car is in a no joy condition.

At Heartland MSP last Spring I was warming the engine up on the Friday evening before the event - and it quit. I has not popped since.

I have changed Coil, MPEM's, Stator and Triggers. I am not getting spark.

WTF?

Liked: 227

Chuck,

Sorry to hear you are still having engine problems. Maybe send the engine and electronics to Mel Winnie?

Cory

Liked: 28

Chuck,
    Have you pulled the plugs to check spark actually occurs. I had a ton of issues with the boxes before I realized the power on function is critical for the MPEM and it can not get the full voltage until the motor is running. I had another issue with a motor that I thought the triggers were reversed, I did multiple cable re-wire worked on it for 5 hours before I loaded the car on the trailer and I talked to the magical Mel, he said swap the triggers which I did (prior to that I had swapped the wires how many times) and swapped the wires in the plug to the box again for the 10th time to match the swapped triggers and it worked. PFM was my only answer. Wish I could be more help full, but if you do not have more MPEM's or triggers to swap out, I think Cory has the best answer, at least Mel will be able to swap it all as needed to test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by lance3556 View Post
    Chuck,
    Have you pulled the plugs to check spark actually occurs. I had a ton of issues with the boxes before I realized the power on function is critical for the MPEM and it can not get the full voltage until the motor is running. I had another issue with a motor that I thought the triggers were reversed, I did multiple cable re-wire worked on it for 5 hours before I loaded the car on the trailer and I talked to the magical Mel, he said swap the triggers which I did (prior to that I had swapped the wires how many times) and swapped the wires in the plug to the box again for the 10th time to match the swapped triggers and it worked. PFM was my only answer. Wish I could be more help full, but if you do not have more MPEM's or triggers to swap out, I think Cory has the best answer, at least Mel will be able to swap it all as needed to test it out.
    Isn't Mel in Michigan?

I am thinking about calling a Ski-doo/Sea-doo dealer and seeing if I can trailer the car to them and let their expertise be brought to bear on the situation. If they are up to the task.

How does one detect the trigger signals? The 'new' triggers wiring made it seem that they could only be installed in the case in one way - which is the way I installed them. As info, the 'bottom' trigger has blue and yellow wires to it, as currently installed.

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Isn't Mel in Michigan?

I am thinking about calling a Ski-doo/Sea-doo dealer and seeing if I can trailer the car to them and let their expertise be brought to bear on the situation. If they are up to the task.

How does one detect the trigger signals? The 'new' triggers wiring made it seem that they could only be installed in the case in one way - which is the way I installed them. As info, the 'bottom' trigger has blue and yellow wires to it, as currently installed.
    I think you would be wasting your time at a Ski-doo/Sea-doo dealer. Would you take a Fit-powered FF to a Honda dealer? I've shipped many Rotax engines. It's easy.

Liked: 1108

I know nothing about this motor, nor make any preconceptions as to what you’ve tried or your capabilities.

I Googled “Rotax 593 no spark” and found a fair amount of things to try. I’m only a reasonable mechanic, and in such cases these matters are things simple to overlook, and to fix. And being we travel in a VW bus, we have constant issues!

Eyelets, wiring, and ignition connections are just the “start” of usual suspects. If there’s not enough power to activate certain bits, it won’t fire. A multimeter is your friend here.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by E1pix; 12.06.22 at 2:18 PM.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    I think you would be wasting your time at a Ski-doo/Sea-doo dealer. Would you take a Fit-powered FF to a Honda dealer? I've shipped many Rotax engines. It's easy.
    Shipping engines is one thing - the engine in the car was newly installed, ran in my garage before towing to Kansas, ran in Kansas for about 5 minutes and hasn't run since.

Electrics on the engine are the stator and triggers. Electrics on the car are the Coil and MPEM. All have been changed.

It's not complex - but until it runs it is frustrating.

Liked: 5

Bad switch, bad ground, broken wire. Electrical is so fun to chase.

Will

Swapped the trigger positions - still no joy.

Wires from coil to MPEM are contiguous. 12v coming to MPEM when switch is on. Engine is grounded..

With a 12v Test Light

Should I see a pulse of energy going from the MPEM to either of the Coil Terminals when rotating the engine on the starter?

Should I see a pulse of energy from the triggers when rotating the engine? Would this pulse be recognizable using the battery ground or would it need to be the closed circuit of the individual trigger?

Should I see any pulses coming from the Stator?

Note - Test Light is working (I have been tricked there in the past.)

I have never used a test light for that purpose on these motors, so unsure if there would be enough current in the pulse to power the light so you could see it. What box are you using (12 pin ) or older? Have you disconnected the kill switch at the MPEM Plug? I had that issue with a ground on my kill switch that was intermittently providing the kill signal a year or 2 ago. It did not test out correctly because the Multi meter leads were also intermittently breaking contact, making me think the circuit was open. If I remember correctly it was about 3kohms to ground but that was enough to make the motor sometimes not start and sometimes just run crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by lance3556 View Post
    I have never used a test light for that purpose on these motors, so unsure if there would be enough current in the pulse to power the light so you could see it. What box are you using (12 pin ) or older? Have you disconnected the kill switch at the MPEM Plug? I had that issue with a ground on my kill switch that was intermittently providing the kill signal a year or 2 ago. It did not test out correctly because the Multi meter leads were also intermittently breaking contact, making me think the circuit was open. If I remember correctly it was about 3kohms to ground but that was enough to make the motor sometimes not start and sometimes just run crappy.
    Using the MPEM with space for 4 connectors. A 6 pin that connects to the ignition on/off switch in the car, a 2 pin connector to the coil, a 4 pin connector to the triggers, and a 3 pin connector to leads from the stator, one of which is taped as the Tach lead for my AiM MXL Pista data logger.

I have disconnected the on/off switch lead from the 6 pin connector.

I know it has been a while, but did you get things resolved and what was the problem?

Thread Information