Thread: F1 Aero

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default F1 Aero

F1’s active aero plans for 2026 could include ‘reverse DRS’

Formula 1’s active aero plans for 2026 could include the idea of handicapping the car performance of race leaders to help prevent runaway wins.

Wow, maybe I could be F1 winner someday!
    M

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

Can it please be controlled by race fans through online voting?

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Hmmm..

Sounds like the 'everybody wins' mantra that has been sold to kids for years.

Will everyone get a trophy each race?

6. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

No F1, just say No.

DID YOU HEAR ME???
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 322

I could be for DRS cannot be applied to the leader, even if overtaking slower lapped traffic.

i also wish there was a way to disable it after a short period upon an overtake, or disable once the car does get along side the car in front..
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Do you want a parade or cars racing each other? This is entertainment not sport.

The proposed aero changes are to slow the leader down on the straights when appropriate to maintain a close race.

Brian

Racing is racing.

The entertainment part originates in authenticity. There was almost no actual racing in the original Can-Am, but nobody cared and it remains the greatest road race series to ever hit the States.
    Last edited by E1pix; 12.02.22 at 12:11 AM.

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Racing is racing.

The entertainment part originates in authenticity. There was almost no actual racing in the original Can-Am, but nobody cared and it remains the greatest road race series to ever hit the States.
    I would counter (add in), though, that CanAm cars were evil handling with massive horsepower. The driver had to do it.
    Just my 2¢.
    Glenn

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Absolutely, and you could see it! Nobody was ever able to “make it look easy,” which said it all.

We were really lucky to witness that series. Still feels like yesterday, even 48 years later.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 307

Instead of DRS give them a button to eliminate the fuel flow restrictor for as long as the button is pushed. - 1 second, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 lap, 10 laps. Limited only by the time the car runs out of fuel - all under the drivers control.

18. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 597

Nah.
    Just have the rule that I tell my fellow drivers...........if you don't wave as you go by me when you lap me, you're disqualified

Reverse DRS or other assorted ideas along that same line seems to be to be the same thing as they do at the local electric go kart track.............the manager can hit his button and the carts slow.........which I don't enjoy.....so I don't go there anymore.......like the Andrettis care

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Take away the DSR, take away the wings, take away the carbon brakes, give them hard tires and let them race. Technology that kills the racing should be removed.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

22. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 597

Default New Rules....new schmooles

The Public doesn't understand real wheel to wheel racing IMHO...so the series promoters must add some pizzaz.......Like i care. The public may understand, when broadcasters explain, that a bunch of engineers with their laptops tell a driver to come into the pits and give up.....but years ago a driver would just keep on keeping on and sometimes things worked out in their favor

> I don't have to watch.......so the more contrived the rules become, the less I care. Someone will be crowned "Champion"....but my life won't change....so why watch? What? Like I expect Hammy to suddenly become my sponsor?....or of the SARRC....or the NARRC?....or an SCCA Regional? I can see F1 results a lot of places later.

If the better their ratings are.....the no more impact in my life it is.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Take away the DSR, take away the wings, take away the carbon brakes, give them hard tires and let them race. Technology that kills the racing should be removed.
    You can remove anything you want, the best teams will still come out way ahead. I do not think this is about the car technology or features. It is all about how the team uses its team management and its resources of knowledge. You simply cannot restrict how the engineers think and use current science.

Brian

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    You can remove anything you want, the best teams will still come out way ahead. I do not think this is about the car technology or features. It is all about how the team uses its team management and its resources of knowledge. You simply cannot restrict how the engineers think and use current science.

Brian
    Take away wings, and cars can follow closer, take away carbon brakes, and the passing under braking zone increases, give them hard tires, and talent plays a bigger part. Sure, the people who work hardest and smartest and have talent will likely win, just like at the runoffs, but they will have closer competition and it will be more fun to watch. Think of the Road America FF runoffs of a few years ago. The front was all hard working, smart, talented guys, and the show was far better than any F1 race short of Villeneuve vs Arnoux
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

"Take away the DSR, take away the wings"
    Gee, I thought that was what they tried to do with P2!
    M

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Hmmm..

Sounds like the 'everybody wins' mantra that has been sold to kids for years.

Will everyone get a trophy each race?
    I wanna win that championship tonight, but I wanna win it clean. Old time hockey. Like when I got started, ya know? Toblake, Dick Clapper, Eddie Shore, those guys were the greats.
    V/r

Iverson

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    I wanna win that championship tonight, but I wanna win it clean. Old time hockey. Like when I got started, ya know? Toblake, Dick Clapper, Eddie Shore, those guys were the greats.
    Just say’in, the good days. No DRS, manual shifting, like Senna, Toblake, Dick Clapper, Eddie Shore, those guys were the greats
    V/r

Iverson

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Add Reinhold Messner, delete CEO Bob who paid to be on the rope.

And on topic, Gilles. Duh.

Thread Information