Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default ECU extra channels

I was looking into getting an aftermarket ECU and was wondering if I had extra channels what should I put in them. Does anyone know of traction control programs or some other drivers aid. Maybe do something with those new shocks that have that dielectric type of fluid in the shock that makes it harder or softer. Anyone have any thoughts?

Liked: 278

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holland View Post
    I was looking into getting an aftermarket ECU and was wondering if I had extra channels what should I put in them. Does anyone know of traction control programs or some other drivers aid. Maybe do something with those new shocks that have that dielectric type of fluid in the shock that makes it harder or softer. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Read the rules very carefully and act accordingly

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Michael View Post
    Read the rules very carefully and act accordingly
    And remember 'Omission is not permission.'

Basically all 3 things you mentioned are a NOPE....

Liked: 20

If I had extra inputs, I'd be looking at:

- shock travel
    - steering angle
    - radiator inlet and outlet temps
    - oil cooler inlet and outlet
    - fuel pump discharge pressure if a remote pump
    - high data rate 6 axis g sensor
    - suspension load cells
    - per cylinder wideband O2 sensor and EGT

All of that will fill up any ECU's extra inputs quickly and many dash loggers as well, all still within the rulesets for both SCCA and FRP.

Liked: 285

I would be adding channels an ECU can actually use for either engine protection, or improved performance/reliability.

-- Oil Pressure (protection, rev-limit engine on low oil pressure, stop on zero oil pressure).
    -- Coolant Pressure (At least alarm on low pressure to catch a leak or hole in the radiator).
    -- Fuel Pressure (ecu should compensate for dropping fuel pressure -- can keep engine running well even as pressure fluctuates when tank gets low.)
    -- Fuel Temperature -- compensation for fuel temp can keep fuel mixtures spot on days that run from cold to hot.
    -- Knock sensing -- might allow you to run on lower octane fuel, or catch a problem when temps & loads are both high for a sustained period of time.
    -- trim knobs -- this could allow you to change either fuel mixture and/or ignition timing. You might want to have a slightly reduced power map for driving in the rain or other slick conditions.

What ECU and engine are you running?
    Last edited by David Ferguson; 11.30.22 at 1:58 PM.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Other than bragging about it here, how is anyone going to know? All I see them do in Impound is check track and weight. There are also programs that once you turn off the motor, everything resets to a standard program. All I would have to do is pull into impound and turn the motor off then I am legal. Maybe there could be another program that lets a person turn the motor off twice (for on the grid) and then it resets. With blue tooth and/or a raspberry pi, one could hide any electronics that would be needed to operate anything. There might be more scrutiny at the runoffs, so I may have to avoid that altogether.

I haven't made any decisions yet on which ECU but was looking at the 2021 Yamaha motor.

There are also programs that once you turn off the motor, everything resets to a standard program.
    There was a suggestion that this was happening in FC with the Pectel ECU. The solution was they turned off cars on the grid before the race. I'm sure someone that really wanted to cheat could keep power to the ECU some other way.

I guess I'm not getting the point. Some would call what you suggest cheating. What is the point?

Contributing Member

Are you saying that no one cheats in club racing? In order for someone to be caught cheating, a competitor needs to protest or on some occasions the stewards can protest. Then the inspectors have to look at the infraction and deem it legal or illegal. If you cannot find the problem, then what happens.

Are you saying that no one cheats in club racing?
    Certainly not. But there is honor in following the competition rules. We trust each other to follow the rules.

Is there bragging rights in cheating? Or is 'not getting caught' the standard?
    Yeah, people don't get caught because no one wants to accuse another of cheating.

I'd find no satisfaction in any of that. Done with this conversation.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 231

I haven't made any decisions yet on which ECU but was looking at the 2021 Yamaha motor.
    I think a better question is what will you do for header, airbox, oil pan (dry sump? wet sump?), mounts? These aren't trivial tasks for a motor conversion so you might find it to be an easier road to go with either the Suzuki, Kawasaki, or BMW options that are more common.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Liked: 159

Default cheating doesn't help driver development

Invest your money in track time.....not gadgets.....legal or not legal. Track time is a sure way to get faster.

Surely you want to develop your driving skills. What's the point otherwise.

If you cheat, you will never know if you are as good as your competitors......and you will rely on cheating rather than developing as a driver.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information