Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Gasket sealer for fuel cell

The access window on the bottom front of my VD fuel cell has been leaking. In the process of replacing the gasket and curious what to use for gasket sealer? Looks like Hylomar Blue would work but didn't know if there's something better?

When I previously assembled it I didn't use any sealer and it was fine but after 2 years and not many weekends it is seeping. I was pretty careful making sure the bolts that hold the access plate were tightened evenly but can't remember what spec I used for that.

Liked: 179

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Johnson 42 View Post
    The access window on the bottom front of my VD fuel cell has been leaking. In the process of replacing the gasket and curious what to use for gasket sealer? Looks like Hylomar Blue would work but didn't know if there's something better?

When I previously assembled it I didn't use any sealer and it was fine but after 2 years and not many weekends it is seeping. I was pretty careful making sure the bolts that hold the access plate were tightened evenly but can't remember what spec I used for that.

I dont use any sealer just a new gasket. I also drain the fuel tank over the winter. But you could use hylomar blue. Its fuel resistant. Also these cells over time get pin holes in the bottom due to rocks getting in under the cell and surrounding aluminum.

Brian

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Thanks Brian - Replacing the fuel pump at the rec. of my engine builder and noticed fuel on the car floor behind the cell. Originally thought it was my cell, even though it's only 2 years old but when I pulled the cover plate off you could see where the gasket was wet on the bottom front side.

I didn't use any sealer when I put it together before and it was fine up until now for whatever reason. The whole fuel cell is a pain to work on in these cars and just don't want to have to do it again.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Years ago Art Smith and I went together to buy a tube of Dow 730. it works. It's also eye wateringly expensive.

I currently use Aerolife Polyprotech sealant. Doesn't last as long as the Dow, but it's affordable.

Both available at Aircraft Spruce.

If you use a sealant on the gasket, just screw the bolts down finger tight until the sealant is fully cured. Otherwise, it acts like a lube and the gasket will be extruded as you tighten down the bolts.

Liked: 41

Had a gasket leaking, I reused the gasket and used PERMATEX AVIATION FORM-A-GASKET, also available from Aircraft Spruce and most auto parts stores.

Thread Information