Liked: 3279

Default Brake Balance Calculator

Several years ago, I got a brake balance calculation Excel spreadsheet, IIRC, from someone on ApexSpeed. I found the inputs and calculations not to my compulsive engineer liking, so I redid them including the pad friction coefficient plus calculating in a more logical (to me) way. IIRC, I can't attach the Excel sheet, so if you want the calculation sheet, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.
    Last edited by DaveW; 01.09.23 at 11:51 AM. Reason: misc. edits
    Dave Weitzenhof

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 322

Thanks for the work. I look forward to being able to download this and work my numbers into it.

I know this is only an example sheet, but does your car really only have 1 piston per caliper?
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 5

Appreciate sharing this.
    I've got a lot going on, but I made my own sheet for my F500 that I have to re-dig up and compare some notes to.
    Might send you a message if I can prioritize this.
    Not enough hours in the day for me.
    Andrew Spencer
    1990 Red Devil F500

Last edited by DaveW; 11.01.22 at 1:48 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    Thanks for the work. I look forward to being able to download this and work my numbers into it.

I know this is only an example sheet, but does your car really only have 1 piston per caliper?
    There are actually two per caliper, one on each side of the rotor but the calculation is the same for one if the caliper is one that slides on pins because the force is applied on both sides. As far as the balance is concerned, the ratio of front to rear, the item of interest, does not change.

However, I did have a brain fade and didn't include that both sides of the rotor create brake torque in this calculation. I changed it to do that (changed to 2 pistons).

Thanks for the critique.
    Last edited by DaveW; 11.03.22 at 8:43 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Thread Information