Liked: 1

Default Citation brake pedal setup

Hello all, picked a citation chassis. Was wondering on pedal package, I do not have any pedals or the linkages for factory setup, wondering if anybody has set up pedals with cylinders in the front instead of at the seat area, any thoughts on which might be better? I know set up from factory is easiest but just wondering if making a front cylinder setup might be better. Any pics of setups would be appreciated, thanks in advance David Satterley

Liked: 35

I'm thinking it's probably best to put the master cylinders in front of the seat as Citations were originally designed.

But if you are short of leg, there might be enough room for a more normal placement by the beam.

There is also this very old thread:

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...Help-Requested

I've no idea if any of these examples will help you, but I hope something is workable for you.

Liked: 303

There are an abundant number of Citations with the standard braking package that do just fine. I would not change anything unless you had good reasons to do so. The thread Danny linked has pictures of my car. I'm 6'4 and had problems fitting in the car and that is the only reason I changed things. I could have kept the original braking even with the lengthened frame but chose not to for other reasons. I've never tested the changes but continue to plan for next year. I may have to finally retire to get a next year going.

In short, leave the design as is and save a lot of work that is not going to make braking any better.

Thanks for the advice folks, most of the reason was for making the car more adaptable for different height drivers, but also performance is always a factor. My thought was moving a complete pedal box might be the easiest way, I do not have any parts from original car to compare.

Liked: 301

Bear in mind this is just my opinion, based on my own experience.

Three reasons to NOT move masters to the front:
    1.) Damn near impossible to have have masters below the pitman arm (steering gear mounts to lower beam).
    2.) Masters are more vulnerable to damage (no protective structure & VERY close to ground)
    3.) This master/pedal/steering set-up provides maximum leg room (I'm 6'3" w/36" inseam & fit a Citation so comfortably that I copied all of it to my Lynx-B/Caracal-C)

Glenn
    P.S. Just sent you a PM

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for the advice, I was not going to put cylinders out of frame, found tilton makes compact cylinders that I think will work, really just seeing if anybody has done it. The difference in drivers for the car is like 5 to 6 inches in height, so just trying to make it as easiest as possible.

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by fv58 View Post
    Thanks for the advice folks, most of the reason was for making the car more adaptable for different height drivers, but also performance is always a factor. My thought was moving a complete pedal box might be the easiest way, I do not have any parts from original car to compare.
    If you are still perplexed by the brake setup, I can help. And I sent you a private message that you might take a look at.

I am the guy who designed the car you have and may have made the parts you are puzzled by.

I am not perplexed by the setup from factory. Was just wondering if a pedal box setup may work, I will have drivers that are about foot difference in height driving car, so changing pedal setup may come into play

Quote Originally Posted by fv58 View Post
    I am not perplexed by the setup from factory. Was just wondering if a pedal box setup may work, I will have drivers that are about foot difference in height driving car, so changing pedal setup may come into play
    The standard Citation brake setup provides the maximum amount of legroom possible.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 301

Just a thought...

1.) Set up the seat, belts & pedals for the tallest driver.
    2.) Make custom seat backs for each of the other drivers that fits their position for the steering wheel & sub-belt as they are set.
    3.) Then make changeable blocks (foot pads) for the pedal heads as the final adjustment.

No changes to the actual pedal settings or throttle or steering wheel would be required...just lap & shoulder harness adjustments.

I know I'm probably over-simplifying this, but maybe it gives you some ideas to build on (?)

I'm definitely interested in seeing your final solution.
    Glenn

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by pacratt View Post
    Just a thought...

1.) Set up the seat, belts & pedals for the tallest driver.

Glenn
    The roll bar provides maximum protection for a driver sitting with his shoulders comfortably against the fire wall. Moving the driver forward is not an option. Moving forward will compromise safety!!!

I have been on my head on the race track and in that crash the car rolled over the guard rail. There were marks on both the roll bar and the dash hoop where the guard rail had impacted the car. There was a skid mark on my helmet where it had hit the track. This accident was in a Z16 where there is a lot of the driver's upper body above the upper frame rails.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

If I were providing for a proper fit for multiple sized drivers I would make the pedal Bracket to be movable, going back for shorter legs, and have a multiple piece brake actuator rod that allows for a section (or 2) to be removed to shorten the rod to match. Fairly easy to do this. The clutch master would need a flex line...

Thread Information