Liked: 322

Default Anyone have photos of the front frame Royale RP33?

I was hoping someone here has a photo of the front frame area of a Royale RP33? My RP31 uses the same basic suspension parts but the lower shock mount is slightly different and i would like to understand what the factory changed/improved in the next model.

the RP31 uses a secondary bolt-on bracket to add a lower mount to keep the shock in double shear. The bracket transfers the loads to the master cylinder bulkhead. My car didn’t come with these items, and look somewhat difficult to install.

the only photo of the RP33 I could find has a welded in second frame tube to put the shock in double shear, the rest of the suspension looks the same (except the upper arms are ‘faired in’ with sheet metal). Installing the shocks and masters looks much easier in this model.

I may go this route on my car rather than recreate a bolt on bracket, but I would like to confirm the factor actually went down this path prior to me going further. Too many cars (mine included) have been modified over the years and some ideas were not optimal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 26

The gray frame is the same as on my project RP33. If you need more details I am happy to provide. I am moving house soon so things are starting to get packed up, but the frame is still accessable.
    The diagonal tubes on my frame are brazed in place like on your frame , not sure how they attach on the gray frame. My 33 is quite early. Perhaps the gray frame is a later one and the diagonals were either eliminated or modified to bolt on.

P.S. , I looked at some photo's I have of the red RP 33 in France. { quite a late example } The brazed in diagonals like on your frame and mine are replaced with a bolt in " X " member. This probably was done to make the master cyls. easier to work on. One of the criticisms of the RP33 when they were new was that it was difficult to work on. I expect Royale made the later cars with this brace a bolt in part to improve access to the masters.
    Greg
    Last edited by GreginCanada; 10.06.22 at 11:07 AM.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks, great information. I would like to see some photos when you get a chance, just so I can understand the RP33 and it’s differences. I’m surprised that there is so little info on this model on the internet. If you have photos, or websites where the France car is, I would like that as well.

the photo of the black frame is not my car, but another car that showed the bolt-on shock bracket. My car’s previous owner was converting it to a front radiator and the front diagonals are not there either. I like the idea of a bolt on frame, photos would help.

thank you again for the info.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Liked: 26

The fellow that owns the RP 33 in France, {sorry, Belgium according to his Facebook page } has been on Apex a couple of times. As well if you Google Royale RP 33 , photos usually a few photos of his car and parts pop up. He has a website for his car projects, I think he is actually in the auto repair business, as well as being a Royale owner. Etin Vintage Cars. I find his website very difficult to navigate , but I don't speak French or Flemish. The RP 33 photos are scattered all over his blog posts and there does not seem to be a way to search on his site. Most of them seem to show up on Goggle anyway, but scattered here and there.
    I am not sure how modified my car is, particularly the parts that are in front of where the shock bolt passes through. It had some repairs in the past. But the second ,short square tube to the inside of the shock mount looks the same as on the gray frame. { the one Allan Cornock currently has for sale.} I was almost going to buy that one but then the house moving situation came along and all my $ is tied up getting that accomplished. I have a bunch of RP 33 photos , but the computer they are stored on is acting up . I will see if I can get it to cooperate enough to transfer to my functional machine.

I did find the website after your post. I don’t speak French either, but did eventually find the images you were referencing. If you get a chance, shoot me some photos.. PM me when you get them and we can exchange email addresses

my car came with a very thick (4 row?) radiator that is a bit narrower than the image shows, and included a bottom mounting tray. I think he was trying to replicate the RP33 front and aluminum side panels. His solution didn’t look complete, or was poorly executed if it was finished. A lot of items I have to strip and rebuild, but that is part of the fun.

would you be interested in a spare radiator? I can supply dimensions if interested. Otherwise I may post it for sale later..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information