Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Default SCCA Runoffs Were A Well-Managed Event!

I have had my problems with SCCA and voiced my criticisms when deserved. I also try and acknowledge when they do a good or great job.

I thought the 2022 edition of the Runoffs was the best organized Runoffs that I have been to. Considering that a hurricane played havoc with "everything" I thought that the communication and decision-making by those in charge was outstanding. It started with registration. That it rained, that drivers kept crashing, and that drivers kept driving around the track after damaging their oil supplies, cannot be blamed on the officials. Almost every decision they made, made sense to me.

My biggest complaint was not enough $hitters in the main paved paddock. When you put several thousand men in a compound, you need more than 10 toilets. The wait was several hours most mornings, and I expect there were some dirty diapers

Also, in the debate over finishing races under FC caution, or doing whatever it takes to get a green last lap of racing, I think SCCA needs to establish a policy. I felt so sorry for the SM driver who was leading under caution as the 35 minute race window expired, then went off in the 2-lap shootout. It was unclear from where I watched whether the restart was 2 seconds before or after the 35 min window finished, but I thought it was unfair. I never heard if any racers ran out of fuel in the extended races, but we would have been underweight if they had extended the FF race.

On the other hand, the FC (full course) caution with multiple pace cars, for test and qualifying sessions, was brilliant when compared to the BFA (black flag all) option. Someone deserves a round of clap for that decision, and I hope it gets adopted by other organizers.

I am disappointed that Ian hurt the spectator turn-out and some racers had to bail. The usual flow of paddock visitors was non-existent and certainly affected the Runoff atmosphere.

Well done SCCA!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

2. The following 13 users liked this post:

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 116

Default I Agree With Mr. Rice

My son and I went there this year purely as spectators. We enjoyed every part of it. The staff we dealt with were all very helpful and courteous. Competitors I spoke with ALL viewed the running of this year's event in a very positive light, with some, however, comparing it to the VIR HST saying the Runoffs were how a race event should be run, but I think that was a bit unfair.

Good job, SCCA folks, managing the event!
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 chassis #037.
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 942

Greg,

I stopped by your paddock on Thursday to look over your cars and talked briefly with one of your crew. Very impressive level of preparation. I really enjoyed Sike's drive in the FC race despite his spin. He was wringing every possible bit of grip out of that Citation every lap through the hogpen. We were amazed at his car control with a wet setup.

Best wishes to you and your team.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    We were amazed at his car control with a wet setup.

Unfortunately, we were on wets but with a dry setup. With the rain stopped and pavement drying half an hour before the race, we had to change from wet to dry (about 1/2 hour job). The race was coming to us until the rain picked up again. By the time he fell off, our race was done.

Considering how many competitors went off as conditions changed, we have to accept the bronze and go home grumpy but appreciative of those that got the job done. If you saw the FV race, Brian Farnham put on a clinic as he drove a perfect champions race. I hear that Bailey Monette did much the same.

Thanks!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

8. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 298

Attending as a spectator myself I agree with Greg's comments.

I do have a comment and hopefully I won't get to bad push back about it but here goes. On the day the P2 car just about burned to the ground, viewing from the turn 3-4 area, why did the response leave the grid and go down the track around 1 and work their way to the scene? They could have gone thorough the guardrail and onto track at exit of 2 and been there quicker. Then they arrived and seemed dumb founded about what to do.

My opinion from where I was.

Ed

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Unfortunately, we were on wets but with a dry setup. With the rain stopped and pavement drying half an hour before the race, we had to change from wet to dry (about 1/2 hour job). The race was coming to us until the rain picked up again. By the time he fell off, our race was done.

Considering how many competitors went off as conditions changed, we have to accept the bronze and go home grumpy but appreciative of those that got the job done. If you saw the FV race, Brian Farnham put on a clinic as he drove a perfect champions race. I hear that Bailey Monette did much the same.

Thanks!
    Even more impressive drive! Kudos to Mr. Sikes. It was great fun to watch.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 78

Default Thanks to SCCA volunteers like Dan Wise!

I wasn’t at the Run-offs but as an SCCA competitor, I want to acknowledge and thank all the volunteers who make the SCCA events run and run well, like my San Francisco Region compatriot Dan Wise, who was among the stewards at this year’s Big Race. Thank you to all the SCCA volunteers, regardless of your region! We can’t race without out you and I am comforted by your presence at registration, the corner stations, in the safety and rescue trucks, and in timing & scoring and tech.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Womer View Post
    Attending as a spectator myself I agree with Greg's comments.

I do have a comment and hopefully I won't get to bad push back about it but here goes. On the day the P2 car just about burned to the ground, viewing from the turn 3-4 area, why did the response leave the grid and go down the track around 1 and work their way to the scene? They could have gone thorough the guardrail and onto track at exit of 2 and been there quicker. Then they arrived and seemed dumb founded about what to do.

My opinion from where I was.

Ed

I have wondered this before as well. FE race had EV rolled but then the car self cleared.

They could have pulled off at 3 trhough the grass and behind the wall there. It seems they need a better bit of road to go in and out at 3. It would save a lot of time and it seems a safe place to join the track as well as leave. Likewise, they don't seem to shortcut across the short track cross over enough.

I am surely glad they did thing better than at the Majors in April. I was so annoyed then I decided not to go back to VIR. Maybe at least for the Runoffs, since they seem to have done this right at least.

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post

I am surely glad they did thing better than at the Majors in April. I was so annoyed then I decided not to go back to VIR. Maybe at least for the Runoffs, since they seem to have done this right at least.
    Are you referring to the April Majors in 2022 or the muddy morass that the April Majors event of 2019 was?

Liked: 111

luckily we were on paved ground in 2019

Thread Information