Liked: 101

Default So.Cal drivers Beware

Their has been a rash of trailer break ins in So Cal. My trailer was broken into yesterday it is marked Warning GPS Equipped and locked behind a Iron gate. they cut the lock on the gate and the hasp on the trailer, to their surprise the trailer was empty, Two weeks ago someone tried to steal my truck ,out of my driveway my neighbor ran out with his gun and scared them off. EMPTY your trailer when possible to minimize any losses.
    Dee

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Where are you located?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Wish I had neighbors like yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    Their has been a rash of trailer break ins in So Cal. My trailer was broken into yesterday it is marked Warning GPS Equipped and locked behind a Iron gate. they cut the lock on the gate and the hasp on the trailer, to their surprise the trailer was empty, Two weeks ago someone tried to steal my truck ,out of my driveway my neighbor ran out with his gun and scared them off. EMPTY your trailer when possible to minimize any losses.
    Dee

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Brazen. With absolutely no penalty for this behavior, my surmise is this misconduct will escalate.

Great idea about removing as much as possible.
    V/r

Iverson

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Trailer and truck

trailer is in Torrance Ca and the truck is in Palos Verdes Ca
    Dee

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Palos Verdes is a pretty tony neighborhood for that kind of crime.

LAPD hasn't given two ****s about stolen vehicles for decades. If its some big chop-shop ring or exporting them to central america they're all over it, but just your car, nah, too busy. It appears the threshold for petty crime is now about $100K.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    trailer is in Torrance Ca and the truck is in Palos Verdes Ca
    Dee
    My wife grew up there. Geeez...

Not much is safe anymore.

This has become the Wild West everyone is packing

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 49

That's par for Cali these days good ol Newsome

Liked: 1108

Yeah, that’ll help...
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

This is the USA we live in today.

Either raise taxes for more police and prisons or accept the risk of possible loses occasionally. I think more prisons has been generally not proven to improve things.

Brian

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post

Either raise taxes for more police and prisons or accept the risk of possible loses occasionally. I think more prisons has been generally not proven to improve things.

Brian
    Well the police forces are experiencing a great exodus. They can do everything right and still be sued. Ever increasing levels of personal liability. The public they have to deal with hates them.

Prisons have become criminal training camps. What ever happened to chain gangs and skills training?
    And the ones that volunteer to work such as the "smoke jumpers" cannot get those jobs once they leave prison because of their record.

I'm surprised the 'neighbor' in the original post hasn't been sued by the thief.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 302

Brian
    Every one locked up is one that cannot commit crimes.
    Build more prisons, send more to them and problem solved.
    It really is that simple.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    Every one locked up is one that cannot commit crimes.
    Build more prisons, send more to them and problem solved.
    It really is that simple.
    The problem with that is they look at it as '3 hots and a cot' as my dad used to say.
    On the outside they have no (legal) skills and no prospects.

Build profit driven prisons and things will change. Somehow we have flipped the perpetrator/victim.
    Civil rights somehow stopped prison labor. I'm not talking abuse. I'm talking earning your keep.
    I thought your civil rights were suspended when you were in prison. How else could you be kept locked up.

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

I've always thought that our "punishment" system was too long, and too easy.

You cannot lock people away for 20 years, control every aspect of their lives, and expect them to make their way in society on return. Everything has changed so much that they can't function (arguably they couldn't function BEFORE they went in....)

IMHO, the sentences should be short, the labor hard (but relevant and paid) and there should be "exit criteria". NOBODY leaves without a GED. NOBODY leaves without a psych eval, and if it says you are a sociopath, then you ain't getting out, regardless of the sentence. They should come out with the tools to function and the desire to NEVER go through that again.

Serve the sentence, the whole sentence, no time off, etc, and when you are done, by definition you've "paid your debt to society", so the buck stops there, record cleared.

Murder? I'm a death penalty guy, only because it just costs too much to keep these guys locked up, and they have nothing to lose. I do believe that the bar to prove someone guilty of capital murder needs to be raised significantly and scientifically. No jailhouse squealers, no offering deals to accomplices, etc. But once proven, no lengthy appeals etc. Set the standards and meet them BEFORE the trial, not second guess it all afterwards. I could be persuaded, to allow people who commit crimes of passion and are repentant, to serve out their life sentences in their own separate little society like Snake Pliskin...working their asses off for their keep.

But sociopaths? Defective gene pool. Just off 'em and be done with it.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 227

Brian
    Higher taxes fix everything! Public education is great. We won the "war on poverty." Customer service at govt offices is excellent.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    But once proven, no lengthy appeals etc. Set the standards and meet them BEFORE the trial, not second guess it all afterwards.
    Too many found innocent during these 'second' guess periods. We have good standards but the prosecution, police and defense quite often do not meet those standards. Are you willing to accept that some innocent people will be put to death?

Brian

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Well the police forces are experiencing a great exodus.

Increase pay and benefits, they will come.

If you want to lock up more or keep them longer it is going to take more money. Don't kid yourself, administering a more encompassing work program is going to take more money than you are going to net.

Are you 'law and order' type up for more taxes to pay for all this?

Brian

Increase pay and benefits, they will come.

If you want to lock up more or keep them longer it is going to take more money. Don't kid yourself, administering a more encompassing work program is going to take more money than you are going to net.

Are you 'law and order' type up for more taxes to pay for all this?

Brian
    To quote myself:

Well the police forces are experiencing a great exodus. They can do everything right and still be sued. Ever increasing levels of personal liability. The public they have to deal with hates them.
    There has been legislation proposed several times to expose law enforcement to total personal liability (aka lose your house).
    The day that passes will be a 'blue pandemic'. No amount of money makes up for that. If you thought they didn't do enough now....

The cost of work programs should be born by the inmate in an 'earn your keep' program.

Liked: 1417

30. The following 5 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by dc View Post
    Yep. Let’s go racing.
    V/r

Iverson

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Too many found innocent during these 'second' guess periods. We have good standards but the prosecution, police and defense quite often do not meet those standards. Are you willing to accept that some innocent people will be put to death?

Brian
    Then by definition nobody is really meeting those standards are they?

Liked: 268

Default So Cal drivers

There are plenty of murder cases that are absolute in every way, no doubt who or why. Those cases should net the death penalty within 60 days, period. With who said, she said, he said , etc so maybe you have the long prison sentence. The former should understand society doesn't want them around and the consequence is known. Far too many criminals are given a myriad of excuses for committing the crime but the bottom line crime should have consequences and those should be significant and not fun! In the case of murder it's pretty hard to ask the victim isn't it?

Thread Information