Liked: 295

Default 98 Van Dieman with 2006 Honda conversion

• Van Dieman 98 formerly known as Groot
      It actually was converted to Honda power in 2014 I believe.

At the last autocross I ran about three weeks ago my back gave out. In the past I have had back problems and they have always gone away after a couple weeks. Now it does not seem to be getting better. I suspected some of the bumpy courses I have run this year but my doc thinks it is a fitment problem. I have done well getting in and out but all the standing and walking around does me in. At 73 I will probably not be getting much fitter.

I have enjoyed driving and taking care of working with this car. When I got it from Phil it was a great car. I always like trying to make my cars faster or lighter but there was not much that was left undone on it. It has been street honda like in its reliability. I cannot think of anything that has broken on the car. All I have done is change the oil and filter and adjust and maintain the suspension Including gassing up the shocks one of which had leaked a bit. The Honda engine was new about 8 years ago and is lovely and powerful. Documentation is included

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ead-on-Groot-2

Phil's thread when he was selling it: I will remove any parts listed which have been sold off including the OZ aluminum wheels and travel wheels.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ighlight=groot

My favorite modification though is the safety orange strip I put on it. (not universally loved). I have done some things that have reduced the weight by about 40#. most of the weight was removed on rotating parts or at least unsprung weight. I am a little obsessive about weight and am always looking for something to make lighter. I have done the following:
      It came with the OZ mag wheels which I resisted painting orange.
      I replaced the 13# lawnmower battery with a lithium which barely moves the scale at 1.5#
      I replaced the calipers with aluminum. The fronts are 20s the rear are 19s. about 16# When we installed the new calipers we reinstalled the old pads and rotors. New ones would add some weight.
      I replaced the carrier in the diff with an aluminum one....about 8#.
      I replaced the half shafts with the gun drilled ones......about 5 or 6#

I believe the floor to be aluminum. It is not painted so not steel. Stainless seems unlikely
      . No tears noticed.

With all the light components it will really accelerate and decelerate quickly.

The car has a front track.....70" out to out on the hosier autocross tires.
      The rear is about 63" out to out. Narrower at the back...I like it that way.
      The rear rotors are scalloped and drilled.
      It also has the short wheelbase kit.
      I have removed the anti sway bars. I was advised not to do this by people whom I respect very much, but I ran the old 85 Renard (rest in peace) that way and I love it this way too.

I have adjusted the toe on front and rear to my liking. The car is extremely catchable and you can go really far sideways and it will just scrabble back on line. The brakes are well bedded now and will really haul the little car down without locking up the tires too easily. I cannot remember ever locking a wheel with it. I always am conscience of not abusing the equipment. I do a slight roll on launch before letting out the clutch and storming off.

I have limited spares and a huge tub of books on various aspects. The car has a lot of features that I really don't understand and have not made use of like the high tech digital instrument cluster. I use the temp part of it.

I am thinking of a price of $24,750 About what I paid for it. The money invested in lightness should offset any wear and tear from the three seasons I have owned it.

I will look over the spares and see if there is anything else to mention. Oh yes, a set of alloy oz wheels with barely used Hoosier rain tires is not included. The slicks on it are done so you'll need new tires for nationals.

Maybe someone will need a fast car for Nationals. I hope it is not too late. I would check the oil and coolant and load up with it to go to nationals.

It always draws a crowd at events.

I am not a nationals winning caliber of driver. I did win FTD twice in local clubs, last year with it though and usually was in the running for FTD . My thought about it was I may not be the fastest driver but that does not mean I cannot have the fastest car.

Tom Walgamuth
      765 490 0275
      twalgamuth@comcast.net
      Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.29.21 at 8:16 PM.

• The following members LIKED this post:

• 08.21.21, 11:08 AM
      Jim Garry

Contributing MemberJoin Date01.04.03LocationAlbany, NYPosts1,764
      Liked: 175

I'm sorry you find yourself in a position of having to sell a car you love Tom. I wish you a speedy and successful sale. Will you be continuing to autocross in something else?

Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

• 08.21.21, 11:58 AM
      t walgamuth

Classifieds Super LicenseJoin Date11.20.10LocationLafayette INdianaPosts1,212
      Liked: 257

Maybe a Miata or s2000

PIctures.
      Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by t walgamuth; 09.22.22 at 11:33 AM.

• 08.21.21, 11:59 AM
      t walgamuth

Maybe a Miata or s2000.

I hate it as the FF is such a joy to drive!
      Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.29.21 at 8:03 PM.

• 08.21.21, 12:52 PM
      lowside67

Contributing MemberJoin Date02.06.08LocationVancouver, BC, CanadaPosts406
      Liked: 176

A great deal on a great car. Best of luck with your sale Tom.

-Mark

Mark Uhlmann
      Vancouver, Canada
      '12 Stohr WF1

• 08.21.21, 2:57 PM
      t walgamuth

Thanks Mark! Also thanks for your generous assistance in understanding the car!

Tom
      Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.29.21 at 8:07 PM.

• 08.21.21, 11:02 PM
      Lynn

Contributing MemberJoin Date07.28.05LocationSaint Louis, MOPosts745
      Liked: 283

If I had the money, we'd be doing business, again, Tom. I'm sorry you have to sell the car.

• 08.21.21, 11:11 PM
      t walgamuth

thanks Lynn! Me too.
      Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.29.21 at 8:09 PM.

• 08.22.21, 2:12 PM
      t walgamuth

Fitment
      I am about 5'7, 190# in my birthday suit. wideish ribcage, biggish and longish arms and smallish legs. A 16" wide kirkey fits snuggly (as an example.) I run a removable padded seating device. It is tight but really you want to not be sliding around.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 10.01.22 at 5:04 PM.

Liked: 0

Tom are you selling the car with the trailer included?

No.

I have the trailer for sale separately. I believe it is mentioned in my newly updated ad.

Thnaks for asking Reid!

Sold and delivered.

Thanks Apexspeed!

I still have the trailer for sale.

Thread Information