Liked: 20

Default 2022 SCCA Runoffs

Any F1000s going this year?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

There are three F1000 entered for the runoffs.

Driver & Prep Shop Employee - 2022 SCCA Runoffs (motorsportreg.com)

2 Anthony Seaber FA 2009 Stohr F1000 Hillsborough, NC RSC Motors, The Starting Line
    33 Rod Rice FA 2007 Stohr F1000 Austin, TX
    70 Alex Mayer FA 2014 JDR JDR Harleysville, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holland View Post
    There are three F1000 entered for the runoffs.

Driver & Prep Shop Employee - 2022 SCCA Runoffs (motorsportreg.com)

2 Anthony Seaber FA 2009 Stohr F1000 Hillsborough, NC RSC Motors, The Starting Line
    33 Rod Rice FA 2007 Stohr F1000 Austin, TX
    70 Alex Mayer FA 2014 JDR JDR Harleysville, PA
    Ah, thanks, didn't know you could see the entry lists. Smaller field than last year, let's hope no one tries to be Alex's hat again.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default entry list

Does anyone know where to find an entry list. I have looked at MSREG, SCCA and googled it but I am missing something because they all turned up nothing. Thanks in advance

Liked: 285

Here is the link to the page with all the entries for every class:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....FC22BCC83700EE
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Thank you!!!

Liked: 159

Default F1000 wins FA at runoffs

In case anyone missed it, Alex Mayer won the FA race at the runoffs in his JDR.

Rod Rice was third.

It might have been an all F1000 podium if Seaber hadn't tangled with a spinning Atlantic.

While these were modified engines, I don't think any of the three were short lived grenades. I know Mayers was not.

F1000 is here to stay folks. In both FA and in the North American Formula 1000 Championship (where you still have to keep the engine bone stock).

Faster....and cost less.....everyone who drives one loves it.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 279

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

Rod Rice was third.

It might have been an all F1000 podium if Seaber hadn't tangled with a spinning Atlantic.

While these were modified engines, I don't think any of the three were short lived grenades. I know Mayers was not.

F1000 is here to stay folks. In both FA and in the North American Formula 1000 Championship (where you still have to keep the engine bone stock).

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars
    Thanks Jerry. Alex is always fast...good on him!

For the F1000 owners who havent been paying attention (me included), can you give a brief rundown of the allowable engine mods for FA?
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

I realize that you are promoting F1000 and JDR cars .......

But I am having a tough time believing that if Alex Mayer did several test days with Mirl Swan, Pabst, or Khill in a very good FA car ..... that Alex in a Swift would not be faster than Alex in a JDR FA/F1000. Comparing 25 year old "shoes" with 60 year old "gentlemen" drivers is what we do in club racing but it is not an accurate or fair comparison. I would also think that tracks where the cars can reach terminal top speeds for significant time would favor the F1000 cars, and other tracks would favor the true FA cars. VIR vs PIRC for example.

Safety is also a consideration. There is a reason modern hi-speed race cars have carbon tubs and not tube-frames. That would appear to be the biggest variation in cost.

Other than the safety element, I don't know the answers to my questions. They are valid questions however. Claiming that FA-spec F1000 cars are "faster" than true FA cars seems like a statement worth challenging. My F1600 cars (and some FVs) can beat some F2000 cars being raced today, but that does not make them "faster".
    Last edited by problemchild; 10.05.22 at 8:20 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member

Rod Rice actually placed 2nd in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by jchracer View Post
    Thanks Jerry. Alex is always fast...good on him!

For the F1000 owners who havent been paying attention (me included), can you give a brief rundown of the allowable engine mods for FA?
    I've been looking at this a bit in the GCR and believe all of the following are allowable (assuming we are talking about f1000 engines in FA):
    - any ECU
    - any intake modification
    - bore and stroke changes as long as displacement remains the same as factory
    - no restriction on valves/springs/head porting
    - connecting rod changes as long as same "base metal"
    - no restriction on piston alterations

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Rod Rice was third.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars
    Jerry, what *was* Alex running in his JDR? Trap speeds were impressive and commentators during qualifications said it was a Ford, maybe a Coyote engine....some people's kids...

I had heard it was a ZX10, either way seemed very strong.

Liked: 159

Default Mayer engine

Quote Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
    Jerry, what *was* Alex running in his JDR? Trap speeds were impressive and commentators during qualifications said it was a Ford, maybe a Coyote engine....some people's kids...

I had heard it was a ZX10, either way seemed very strong.
    Mayer runs a 17 -20 Gsxr1000. . Some mods....but not extreme. Good for several weekends.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 12

Default The other Stohrs

Mayer runs a 17 -20 Gsxr1000. . Some mods....but not extreme. Good for several weekends.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars
    I was driving the Red/White F1000 Stohr- after a year of development it is the most amazing car I have ever experienced. We just added the brand new HRP wing package and it made a night and day difference- so much so that driving style needed to change to accommodate. Tons more aero grip at no apparent drag penalty.

I developed the car this year and am running the BMW engine. While we had a 'built' BMW that probably was worth about 2 seconds it did what built motors do and dropped a valve on the third session. Very benign failure- just popped the valve up into the head, no holes in anything and still ran. A welcome change from the '08 Suzuki experience of catastrophic failure when dropping a valve. The head *may* even be salvageable.

The BMW requires an aftermarket ECU in order to run properly; we went with an overkill MoTeC system. I'm really impressed with it.

The engine we ran for the Runoffs was a bone stock E-bay motor with development and a season on it. This engine has been rock solid in every sense.

I *think* Rod Rice was running a fully built George Dean Kawi with a substantial investment behind it.

I think it would be appropriate to open up the F1000 Pro series to aftermarket ECUs if a dyno sheet is provided. It would show less power than a stock 17-20 Suzuki I am 100% sure. We all know that aftermarket ECUs do not provide an advantage over tuned stock ECUs.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm financially unable to run it next year and have to put it up for sale-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjIms93Dfnx/
    Last edited by VSeaber; 10.28.22 at 8:50 PM. Reason: Added video clip- hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by VSeaber View Post
    I was driving the Red/White F1000 Stohr- after a year of development it is the most amazing car I have ever experienced. We just added the brand new HRP wing package and it made a night and day difference- so much so that driving style needed to change to accommodate. Tons more aero grip at no apparent drag penalty.

I developed the car this year and am running the BMW engine. While we had a 'built' BMW that probably was worth about 2 seconds it did what built motors do and dropped a valve on the third session. Very benign failure- just popped the valve up into the head, no holes in anything and still ran. A welcome change from the '08 Suzuki experience of catastrophic failure when dropping a valve. The head *may* even be salvageable.

The BMW requires an aftermarket ECU in order to run properly; we went with an overkill MoTeC system. I'm really impressed with it.

The engine we ran for the Runoffs was a bone stock E-bay motor with development and a season on it. This engine has been rock solid in every sense.

I *think* Rod Rice was running a fully built George Dean Kawi with a substantial investment behind it.

I think it would be appropriate to open up the F1000 Pro series to aftermarket ECUs if a dyno sheet is provided. It would show less power than a stock 17-20 Suzuki I am 100% sure. We all know that aftermarket ECUs do not provide an advantage over tuned stock ECUs.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm financially unable to run it next year and have to put it up for sale-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjIms93Dfnx/
    Great info, thanks for sharing. Any development issues on the BMW motor in general? Dry sump, etc?

I have a '16 motor on an engine stand and have been working on the stock ECU to adapt it for a car (previously did that for a living).

But I agree, speaking as a Motec dealer, there is zero power benefit to come from an aftermarket standalone ECU. The real benefit is ease of tuning and datalogging and that leads to better alarming, safety features, and overall engine health. Low oil pressure alarms and rev limiters, coolant and oil temp rev limits, low fuel pressure throttle limiting, etc. All things that help prolong the life of the motor and in the end lower engine cost.

Was yours the Stohr that Mark Nixon showed in a few posts and videos?

Quote Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
    Great info, thanks for sharing. Any development issues on the BMW motor in general? Dry sump, etc?

I have a '16 motor on an engine stand and have been working on the stock ECU to adapt it for a car (previously did that for a living).

But I agree, speaking as a Motec dealer, there is zero power benefit to come from an aftermarket standalone ECU. The real benefit is ease of tuning and datalogging and that leads to better alarming, safety features, and overall engine health. Low oil pressure alarms and rev limiters, coolant and oil temp rev limits, low fuel pressure throttle limiting, etc. All things that help prolong the life of the motor and in the end lower engine cost.

Was yours the Stohr that Mark Nixon showed in a few posts and videos?
    It's the car below- the link in my previous post goes to some video (including drone footage) and still shots of it. It's BRD bodywork and HRP wings (not all the photos have the updated aero package on it, I got it just prior to the Runoffs).

I'm running a 2018 engine and designed a custom wet sump for it with a swinging pickup and trap doors. It seems to work really well, I take pressure data at two different spots in the oil system and the data looks really good. These engines have (comparatively) a lot of oil pressure. I like the simplicity and light weight of the wet sump system.

Development has gone well- I've had help several people in the community including Mark Uhlmann who provided a proper milspec wiring harness, CNC engine mounts among other things. A decent amount of development has been done on the ECU end and the car uses the integrated MoTeC shifting system.

The engine seems to be super reliable and not that fragile in stock form.

RSC Motors, Inc. (@rscmotorsinc) • Instagram photos and videos

[]
    Last edited by VSeaber; 10.29.22 at 8:59 PM.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by VSeaber View Post
    It's the car below- the link in my previous post goes to some video (including drone footage) and still shots of it. It's BRD bodywork and HRP wings (not all the photos have the updated aero package on it, I got it just prior to the Runoffs).

I'm running a 2018 engine and designed a custom wet sump for it with a swinging pickup and trap doors. It seems to work really well, I take pressure data at two different spots in the oil system and the data looks really good. These engines have (comparatively) a lot of oil pressure. I like the simplicity and light weight of the wet sump system.

Development has gone well- I've had help several people in the community including Mark Uhlman who provided a proper milspec wiring harness, CNC engine mounts among other things. A decent amount of development has been done on the ECU end and the car uses the integrated MoTeC shifting system.

The engine seems to be super reliable and not that fragile in stock form.

RSC Motors, Inc. (@rscmotorsinc) • Instagram photos and videos
    Mark and I have chatted quite a bit on these. Seems he does primo harness work too. You're not the friend he mentioned that has a K67 2020+ motor are you?

Sorry- thought I replied earlier- yes, I've got the new engine. Currently selling it-

My car is back together ready to race or sell! I've got it up on the Facebook Stohr cars group.

Thread Information