Liked: 309

Default SCCA Solo CM : State of the Class : 2022

First of all, congrats to Ben Martinez on his back to back 2021/2022 Solo Nationals CM Championships; it’s first time this has been accomplished since Jim Garry’s 2007/2008 Championships at Heartland Park. Ben is now on track to tie Peter Raymond’s (“modern” CM era – i.e. since 1990) record of three in a row of 1992/1993/1994 at Forbes Field. Additionally, hats off to the remaining members of the podium Eric Clements (2nd) and Reid Shanabrook (3rd).

I do not have numbers for every North America Solo event but, once again, CM participation was down in 2022; Champ Tours, ProSolo, and Nationals CM entries are down compared to pre-2020 levels. That said, I’m hoping the 2020-2022 time-frame to be an outlier in an otherwise health class; I’m looking forward to 2023 and a return to healthy participation levels (i.e. 5+ entries at pre-National events / 20+ at Nationals).

Over the course of the year, I have spoken to numerous folks about joining CM with a few actively pursuing cars. The interest is there and hopefully we will see additional entries shortly. Speaking of new entries, it was refreshing to see a number of (mostly younger) first time National CM entrants this year; Reid Shanabrook, Mick Maier, Kyle Roberts, and James Boller all “jumped-in” so to speak with most (all?) of them have very little (i.e. less than 10 runs) seat time before actual Nationals competition. The takeaway being that these cars are very easy and enjoyable to jump in and drive with good finishing positions possible right out of the box.

As for tires, both Ben and Eric have spoken to Hoosier regarding the continued availability of 22.5x7.2-13 A2500 bias rear (#43309). Hoosier makes the soft/Solo compound FF cantilevered rear in batches of 50. The class is still working down the last R25 batch which was made in Aug/21(!). That is, everyone is still running the R25 compound rear (w the 7” R20 at the front). Hoosier has noted that as soon as the existing R25 inventory is depleted, they will make a batch of 50 R20 rears. The only concern regarding the 7” R20 (FC/FM/P2/etc) front is low inventory; that is, due to demand, this tire was in shorter supply later in the season, but Hoosier delivered the necessary tires in time for Nationals.

In closing, I am excited to see a continued rebound in CM participation going into 2023 and the 50th Solo Nationals. To that end, I’m working on a few ideas to get/put previous CM entrants “back in seats” for the 50th Solo Nationals. Stay tuned!

Take care,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22-0907 CM Grid.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	104598  
    Last edited by -pru-; 09.13.22 at 12:09 PM.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 310

With several non-car related issues solved, we should have the Reynard out next year with John driving and maybe a guest driver or two.

If I lose enough weight and get the very high oil pressure issue with the SoloVee fixed, I should be driving that.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 295

Thanks for the report Chris.

For the record Jim and Reid both ran my car., the 98 Van Dieman formerly known as Groot.. Both of them got in a half dozen or so practice runs in the car. Both also came from fairly extensive running in Corvettes.

I am just getting back on my feet from urinary infection, dehydration kidney shut down and a esphpagal malfunction. In Hospital for three days.

but....wooo hooo, love Nationals.

Tom

Liked: 295

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    With several non-car related issues solved, we should have the Reynard out next year with John driving and maybe a guest driver or two.

If I lose enough weight and get the very high oil pressure issue with the SoloVee fixed, I should be driving that.
    how high is the op?

Liked: 310

High enough that it destroys the oil pressure gauge and then the oil departs the engine through various seals and gaskets.

And the engine builder is out of business. I think he retired.

Thread Information