Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Help with Steering Box

I was at a vintage race this weekend and my steering box failed. A new TRW unit was put in. However, the box is very stiff. Compared to a teammate's car mine needs considerable force while the other car can be turned with a couple of fingers. Is there any way to loosen up the box without increasing the free play? Is there some adjustment range available with the large bolt in the front of the box? Thanks

Liked: 299

On the top, if mounted in stock location, there is a large nut with a screw inside it. Loosen the nut and turn the screw which adjust the play in the gears and it might be just to tight. Arnie Carbaugh in NY is starting to rebuild them if that is an option.

Ed

Liked: 35

I hate to do it, but I'm gonna disagree with Ed. The adjustment he speaks of is probably too tight in this case though.

Disconnect the tierods, and disconnect steering shaft. Check and make sure that any friction in either of those is not your problem. Any mis-alignment of the shaft to the input on the steering box can also cause friction or drag.

The adjustment starts with the big locknut and big 12-point allen plug. I use a 7/8 OD nut welded to a piece of steel, it works fine inside the adjuster. The big nut is 41mm, a large adjustable wrench works fine. The second adjustment is on top of the box, and should only be adjusted after the big one on the front.

Best to follow the procedure in the Bentley. Adjusting just the top adjuster can result in binding(which you have) and rapid wear of the box. Lots of guys do this and have less than stellar results.

The biggest thing is insuring the box is dead-on straight ahead when adjusted. Once you turn the wheel from center there will always be play, you just want as little on-center play as possible.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Great information. Thank you!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Do not worry about wear. Even if it is tight, you are never going to wear it out with the little time it is in use during your racing career. Also, for sure you will be replacing it again.

If new, run it tight as you are comfortable steering with. The gears need time to wear in. The gears are ground to be looser (greater clearance) when off center.... which is when you as a driver want the most precision. So the compromise is for the center to be tight to remove the play for the off-center positions.

The most common failure with these steering boxes is for the steering arm shaft splines to shear/twist out of alignment/position. There is no fix for this. I have never had a tooth break.

Brian
    Last edited by Hardingfv32; 09.12.22 at 4:52 PM.

Thread Information