Liked: 3

Default The NEW Formula Mazda

I watched the Sneak Peak and loved the sound and crisp shifting. Looking forward to the details of this new Formula Mazda MZR of whatever the designation will be. Very curious as to the specs, price, and potential Mazda support.

Jeff

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 799

Is this a new new FM, or the car that was displayed by Moses at Road America two years ago?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 1108

My distant understanding is the new car’s been in development for at least that long, and getting the kinks worked out on it before building them all. Which makes sense to me!

It sounds like there were 25 cars to initially be built, and read that 23 had already been pre-sold some time ago.

I do know there’s been some delays causing patience-testing, but if I were on the list I’d sure take delays over teething problems on the entire lot.

Not much knowing Moses, I am regardless excited for him to make this happen.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Being new to formula, I am eager to see something new that I am guessing is less than six figures.

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    My distant understanding is the new car’s been in development for at least that long, and getting the kinks worked out on it before building them all. Which makes sense to me!

It sounds like there were 25 cars to initially be built, and read that 23 had already been pre-sold some time ago.

I do know there’s been some delays causing patience-testing, but if I were on the list I’d sure take delays over teething problems on the entire lot.

Not much knowing Moses, I am regardless excited for him to make this happen.

Liked: 10

I tested the prototype last week. Really enjoyed driving the car. Hopefully production starts at the end of the month. All the specs are listed on the FM website and more details are just a phone call away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220929_092210_01.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	104784

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by janton9736 View Post
    Being new to formula, I am eager to see something new that I am guessing is less than six figures.
    Trying to read between the lines you wrote .... is it the fact that it's NEW that appeals to you, versus paying half as much for a well maintained and likely equally fast FC/MZR that is also 'just' tube framed and fiberglass bodied? If so, could you elaborate? thx

Not throwing stones, just curious, as so much as been written and agonized over the decline of FC
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Liked: 309

Are these car intended for any particular class or racing series?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 442

They are meant to fit into the massive gap that doesn't exsist in between FE and FC.

11. The following 5 users liked this post:

Well, I've never owned a new car - street or race car. I was frustrated with my first race car, a 1984 Porsche 944Spec that, while being a very nice professional build, I had to deal with the fact that with an old chassis I had to always do a ton of research on parts, which I found a dull and frustrating exercise. With my current PFM, its nice that the car company is still alive in some form and you can get new parts for it. Something new is new and a blank slate going forward for maintenance, verses my car and I bet for many other older race cars, everything is a question mark and I m making my way replacing anything questionable with new. Also, it seems that converting my gearbox to a paddle shift is $12k to $15k, which makes absolutely no sense in relation to the car's value. I have my doubts the "new" MZR Formula Mazda is quicker than a pfm with equal drivers. But *if* the prices is right it would seem to make for a good dpec class and at least for me if it was a few years ago, a far sexier/racier alternative to the spec miatas that are "always the answer in racing" but I just can't do it.

QUOTE=Lotus7;645097]Trying to read between the lines you wrote .... is it the fact that it's NEW that appeals to you, versus paying half as much for a well maintained and likely equally fast FC/MZR that is also 'just' tube framed and fiberglass bodied? If so, could you elaborate? thx

Not throwing stones, just curious, as so much as been written and agonized over the decline of FC[/QUOTE]

Well, I've never owned a new car - street or race car. I was frustrated with my first race car, a 1984 Porsche 944Spec that, while being a very nice professional build, I had to deal with the fact that with an old chassis I had to always do a ton of research on parts, which I found a dull and frustrating exercise. With my current PFM, its nice that the car company is still alive in some form and you can get new parts for it. Something new is new and a blank slate going forward for maintenance, verses my car and I bet for many other older race cars, everything is a question mark and I m making my way replacing anything questionable with new. Also, it seems that converting my gearbox to a paddle shift is $12k to $15k, which makes absolutely no sense in relation to the car's value. I have my doubts the "new" MZR Formula Mazda is quicker than a pfm with equal drivers. But *if* the prices is right it would seem to make for a good dpec class and at least for me if it was a few years ago, a far sexier/racier alternative to the spec miatas that are "always the answer in racing" but I just can't do it.

QUOTE=Lotus7;645097]Trying to read between the lines you wrote .... is it the fact that it's NEW that appeals to you, versus paying half as much for a well maintained and likely equally fast FC/MZR that is also 'just' tube framed and fiberglass bodied? If so, could you elaborate? thx

Not throwing stones, just curious, as so much as been written and agonized over the decline of FC
    [/QUOTE]

Thx, I can understand the 'new' versus 'used/worn out?' attraction to some extent, but claimed orders aside, what will you do with this car if a series doesn't materialize, or fizzles out? It's not a given that scca will accept another car that competes for $ with its FE2's.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Liked: 52

I'm pretty sure Moses Smith entered the car at a Road America regional, and the lap times were solidly in the FE2 range. Not surprising since it is basically the same powertrain, similar aero, presumably similar weight and tire size. Personally, I don't get it.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 111

It is really interesting reading some of the conspiracy theories that people have about the relationship between SCCA and the FE class.

But to the point of this thread, why another new car other than someone will make money on them.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 116

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWinkelman View Post
    I'm pretty sure Moses Smith entered the car at a Road America regional, and the lap times were solidly in the FE2 range. Not surprising since it is basically the same powertrain, similar aero, presumably similar weight and tire size. Personally, I don't get it.
    The video I saw, it hit 140 going into Canada Corner with a solid tow from an FE2 and 138 without a tow. Whitney hit 140 without a tow at the June Sprints in your old car that was rented from Alliance.
    Passing at Road America - Ready, Set, Green! 2023 FMzR Onboard Video. - YouTube
    FE2 Fast Lap Road America Whitney Strickland 2:13.05 - YouTube
    Moses reports in the comments of another video that this MZR has 210hp. The FE2 has 185-ish. So, the FM car has more drag or more downforce (or both) than an FE2.
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 chassis #037.
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 116

A nationally-competitive FE2 with extra wheels won't cost anywhere near "six figures", even a new one.
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 chassis #037.
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Are these car intended for any particular class or racing series?
    Moses has ignored all questions about how, where, and when on Apexspeed. He clearly has plans that are not SCCA dependent, after SCCA killed FM (or as you would say, "saved" it".)

Much like FB, these groups seem to be refusing to let the old boys club boards/committees of SCCA determine their future. Kudos to them! I wish them all the best.

"If you build it, they will come"!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    "If you build it, they will come"!
    Right!!! Because that's exactly what happened to F3, FR, PFM, FC-alphabet soup, F-BMW, F3, F4, and F3...approximately in that order. And I probably forgot some. That's what happened, right Greg? Oh, wait.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Right!!! Because that's exactly what happened to F3, FR, PFM, FC-alphabet soup, F-BMW, F3, F4, and F3...approximately in that order. And I probably forgot some. That's what happened, right Greg? Oh, wait.
    I don't know what FC-alphabet soup is, but none of the other classes listed were SCCA national classes, but F1000 and FM certainly were before SCCA management killed them. Clearly, SCCA keeping the USF VDs in FX is part of their attempt to kill FC as well, despite all the efforts of the FC community. With "friends" like this, the remaining OW classes don't need "enemies."

It certainly appears that those ordering and building the new FM cars, have their own plans that do not include SCCA national racing.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 50

Fantastic! Just what the market needs, another open wheel class!

Liked: 6

Just placed my order along with a friend for the last 2 build slots of the first batch of cars. For both of us, this will be our first single-seat/true downforce car, both of us coming from years of driving Ariel Atoms (with aftermarket front/rear aero but far from lots of downforce).

Can't wait for them to be built, seems like there will be a solid nucleus of owners in TX and then hopefully emanating outwards from there over time!

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by texevora View Post
    Just placed my order along with a friend for the last 2 build slots of the first batch of cars. For both of us, this will be our first single-seat/true downforce car, both of us coming from years of driving Ariel Atoms (with aftermarket front/rear aero but far from lots of downforce).

Can't wait for them to be built, seems like there will be a solid nucleus of owners in TX and then hopefully emanating outwards from there over time!
    Congratulations! Look forward to seeing these cars start hitting the track soon!

Liked: 14

You'll be amazed at what a true formula car can do compared to the sloppy mess that is the Ariel Atom lol. (I love driving both, they're just so different)
    RFR F1000 chassis #1

How many have been delivered so far, and where are they running? Look forward to seeing how they compare to current cars.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    How many have been delivered so far, and where are they running? Look forward to seeing how they compare to current cars.
    Zero have been delivered. I will have been waiting for almost two years as I made my deposit on Feb. 2021.

3 were delivered this week.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randy9182 View Post
    3 were delivered this week.
    can you say where?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    can you say where?
    One here in Texas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230313_191253028.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	106637  

35. The following 3 users liked this post:

One to Cresson MSR, one to Houston, one to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur Texas. I am number 13 now. Maybe the end of August.

Have any sanctioned race series accepted them yet, or track-day fun only so far?
    Last edited by Lotus7; 03.17.23 at 5:34 PM.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA

Liked: 830

I believe that, if they pass SCCA TECH rules, they could run in Formula Super at the Regional/Divisional level if someone wanted to.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 27

I believe they have been homologated for FA.

40. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Green County Grand Prix - Hallet Motor racing Circuit.

This past weekend we had two new FMZR's racing at the Green County Grand Prix - Hallet Motor racing Circuit. That was a SCCA Super Tour event. Both raced in the FA class. One came in 2nd over all ahead of a true FA , a few FE2's, one FC and a bunch of FM's. The other made a good showing even if he had only a couple test sessions in the car. No one could touch Paul Ravaris in his Pro Mazda (FA), 1:13.98. The old FM's made a good showing with several running in the 2:15's. I think the race was a setup testing session for the FMZR's since the car had never been on that track.

Liked: 1

Default Video on YouTube

I watched these races live on YouTube that weekend. All of the SCCA Super Tour events are being broadcast live and can be viewed later. The cameras are fixed so it isn't the best coverage, but it is new to SCCA.

Liked: 1

Default Congrats to Moses

He was the second FA car to finish overall.

Default SCCA Super Tour Video

Yes the video was brodcast live. It was great to sit in the confort of the RV and watch the races at the track. Only draw back is, if you have a bad weekend, as I did, it's there for all the world to see. After spinning at COTA at 95mph and hitting the wall, destroying my car, I was a little to hesitant to push hard. Lots of places at Hallett (Great Track) to hit the wall. One of our FM's hit the turn 1 wall straight on. That's racing. As Scarlet O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day."

Liked: 66

Thankfully it's a tire barrier, not a wall. I got up close and personal with it in my SRF, which was less than pleasant, but a wall would have been a good deal worse.

Back on topic, looks like there'll be plenty of FMs, including the MZRs, at Eagle's Canyon this weekend. There's also a bit more competition in the FA field, so they'll actually have something to compete against besides a PFM.

46. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information