Liked: 323

Default Opinions on Royale RP31s?

As most of you know my beloved RP16 was stolen and I haven’t heard anything in almost a month, so it may be time to start looking at other options for cars. I have several friends telling me to go with a Crossle (I know they are great), a local has a nice early Winkelmann, and there are a couple Titans.

I came across a pretty good deal on an RP31 that needs a total rebuild.. I like the design and it looks nice, does anyone have experience on them? Are they reliable, handle good, easy to set up?

thanks for any info
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 157

Default here is what I know

John,

sad to hear that your car has not been found. Really troubling story,

My first FF was an RP16, then I got an RP31 and ultimately bought another RP31 as a parts bin. THe handling was night and day on slicks. RP31 can run up front in CF on the east coast. I had great fights with Zinks and Crossles and Van Diemen's over the years. Ran it also on Dunlop treads and had a lot of fun. I always wanted a modern car so in 2012 I parked the two Royales and went off in the direction of a pushrod aero FF with a Honda. I sold the parts car to a friend and we fixed it up to be functional, but it has some frame tweaks that need to be fixed. Right now it has engine issues, but not related to it being an RP31. My original RP 31 just ran for the first time this weekend in a shake down after 10 years of being parked. Had a bunch of small annoying issues, but it will be sorted by the time I sell it to a guy I work with.

I did experiment this summer with renting Neil Porters Crossle and must say it handled amazingly well, but that car is probably at the top of all sorted cars we know of.

RP 31 is spacious. Front uprights can break if they are still bolted together out of 4 pieces. If so, swap the bolts each season, or weld them like I did to make them one or two piece. You lose the adjustability but gain safety. Front rockers are complicated and expensive to have fabricated. I found my car to respond really well to rake changes to get rid of understeer. Cannot find the video from JD King's rear facing camera where I am in a long gentle drift chasing him through some S's at New Jersey. Many of the inboard suspension pivots are not rod ends, but plastic bushings. Easy to source and cheap but a bit less adjustable. Only the front rockers are 'handed' so all other spares work left or right side. Bodywork was made in one large upper cowl and two very long sidepod lowers. If you need to access the engine to nut and bolt its a pain. Now my car has removeable panels to give access and they clip on with Dzus. Simple mod to make. For sure you want to add upper braces either side of drivers shoulders and carry those on to the back of the car to add torsional stiffness to the rear. I also welded in a triangulation under the engine to stiffen the rear. 4 almost parralel tubes and a lighweight cross brace is how the rear bulkhead was constrained to the main hoop bulkhead when they first came out and that is likely not as stiff as we want. All of the added steel makes the car a bit heavy and I have struggled to get to minimum weight (200lb driver). Fuel cell is standard stuff if you need to replace it. I really like the steering rack aft of the front axle giving nice clear footbox for left foot braking.

Alan in the UK has supplied rear uprights and new sidepods recently so there seems to be supply of parts. The rear upright can be of two varieties. Tall one piece, or more generic casting with an extension bolted on. Alan doesn't always have the long one in stock.

I will type more as it comes to mind

Steve

We, thanks Steve. I did think of you when I wrote this, as I knew you had experience with both. I will be running on Avon treaded so additional handling comments would be appreciated.

I like Ike the overall design of the car, I just want to make sure I’m not looking at a ‘lemon’ of the make. Glad to hear the fuel cell is nothing special, it is still one of those items that will probably need replacing and can cost a fortune. There is just enough stuff missing/needing work to make me pause and consider a more expensive complete car. I like the challenge and have a great shop to do most work, and I will factor an Ivey motor into the mix.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Liked: 33

Here is the video Mr. Roux was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1KJlGS25U

Nice video, pretty tight group for most of the race!
    (You would think the corner workers know about brooms?)
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 157

Default Mr Roux??

Jake,. Thanks for finding that. Look forward to seeing you in a car sooner than later. You better call me Steve!!!

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 33

Steve, Hope to be in Joe’s RP24 for the Jerk. Still TBD. Sounds like there might be a decent turnout for FF/CF. Max might make an appearance as well if Sam can get his car back together in time. Looking forward to it.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information