Liked: 62

Default Less Expensive TPS and Steering Sensor

I was able to piece together a full TraqMate System for next to nothing. It’s up and appears to be running fine. Software is running, connecting to the data unit etc. I have the IO module for it.

Are there less expensive options (or used) for generic steering sensors and Throttle Position sensors. These can be generic sensors, they don’t need to be TraqMate (not even sure they ever sold sensors). The system generates a 5V signal that goes out to a potentiometer and then back to the IO module as an Analog In. The ones I have found new would cost 5X what I have in this system currently.

On another note, does anyone have an old TraqMate session file I can play with, preferably from VIR. I want to mess with the software a bit.

Thanks!

Liked: 285

You could use something like this for the steering:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...BadksVaQ%3D%3D

You may need to make your own pulley setup and use an o-ring around the steering shaft.

for less than 1 turn (like for a TPS), there are lots of cheap linear rotary pots on Amazon, heck buy 25, and swap them out each weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/AITIAO-Potent...9NBM9W1H&psc=1

For $10 bucks you can see if they would work for you.

Investing in a better non-contact style sensor will give you a long life and can be transferred to any other data system if / when you are ready to move on from the Traqmate.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    You could use something like this for the steering:

Investing in a better non-contact style sensor will give you a long life and can be transferred to any other data system if / when you are ready to move on from the Traqmate.
    Thanks David for the reply. After taking a better look at both the throttle set-up and the linkage at the carb, there really isn’t a good place to adapt / connect a rotary pot (or a modern TPS) sensor. The logical / cleanest solution would seem to be a string pot mounted to the front bulkhead directly behind the throttle. Throw would be pretty short, 2” or so.

For steering I could fab something, but your $130 steering sensor kit for a 3/4” shaft seems like the easy button.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1397

Default Rotary Pots

I used the SP2800 series rotary pots from https://www.novotechnik.com/ .

I used them for Throttle, steering and I built my bell cranks to use them for suspension position sensors. Not certain what they cost now but I had great luck with them.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Default Ford Tempo/ Chevy Blazer

I'm using a Ford Tempo TPS on my FF with my Traqmate. Run it on 12VDC input.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31241159499...Bk9SR-ro6uHYYA

$20 on Fleabay.

As an alternative, you can use manifold pressure. It gives a signal inverse to throttle position. The 92 Chevy S10 Blazer is a good choice:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18225800367...3ABFBMrqfA4thg

$14.41 with the connector.

If you want to do brake pressures, look at the BOSCH pressure sensors. Just be aware, they say 5 VDC they mean 5 VDC!!! The Traqmate didn't have enough to power the two sensors I put in. Had to go with a separate 12VDC to 5DCV converter. After that everything worked fine.

John Mihalich, Jr.
    Lotus 61/FF/28
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 322

I have some stack parts in my stash. Let me know and I’ll pull them out
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LFFR View Post
    I'm using a Ford Tempo TPS on my FF with my Traqmate. Run it on 12VDC input.

John Mihalich, Jr.
    Lotus 61/FF/28

John - A picture is worth a thousand words so to speak, so that is really helpful. My throttle assembly looks just like that except for round stock that extends into your TPS stops. Mine doesn’t extend past the tube. But no reason i couldn’t weld on a small piece of stock. And that seems like an easy place to mount a TPS, out of the way.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 30

Default Ace Hardware Parts

Just bend a new arm out of cold rolled stock with a longer (long) leg and braze on a new arm. The white nylon piece is out of the bins at Ace hardware. You'll need to cut in a slot to match the dogs in the TPS. I put in two set screw for locking the white drive piece to the throttle shaft. Set it at zero position and then check at full travel.

The next thing you'll want is a O2 sensor. Look at the Innovate single channel. Summit or JEGS.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn-38840

Buy bungs and plugs for all four exhaust leads.

"The mere acquisition of data does not necessarily guarantee answers. Sometimes it just provides additional questions."

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information