Liked: 298

Default How to wire AMB transponder

Putting my old vee back together for the current owner and I would like to know which wire is connected to positive and which to negative? It is an earlier model and has a brown wire and blue wire.

Thanks Ed

Liked: 553

I Googled for kicks and found two references:

Brown to +12v, Blue to negative

brown wire is (+) and the blue wire is (-).

Liked: 298

Thanks! I searched yesterday before asking the question but didn't find an answer.

Ed

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I Googled for kicks and found two references:

Brown to +12v, Blue to negative

brown wire is (+) and the blue wire is (-).
    Russ;

I am in the process of converting my chargeable to hard wired. I downloaded the manual, to read “wire to a fused circuit”. So what does that mean?
    V/r

Iverson

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

I am in the process of converting my chargeable to hard wired. I downloaded the manual, to read “wire to a fused circuit”. So what does that mean?

That means you need to have a fuse between the power source and the transponder. Either tap into a fused power source
    from the on off switch or add a inline fuse between the power line and the transponder lead wire.

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wirtz View Post

That means you need to have a fuse between the power source and the transponder. Either tap into a fused power source
    from the on off switch or add a inline fuse between the power line and the transponder lead wire.
    And .. if you do that, it would be a good idea to include a small LED indicator to show that the fuse was good at that moment. There isn't an easy way to tell that a unit is functioning or not. At least you would know that the fuse hadn't blown for some reason. I'm not sure why the manual recommends a fused source ... ? .. other than the fact that it's generally a good idea to fuse EVERYTHING.... but carry spares (conveniently) for any you have on your car .. or use resettable ones.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Gents;

Over the past twenty years on Apex, I have collected dozens of schematics, but I do not recall any with fuses. Can anyone point me in a direction that I can get some advice, like amp ratings and wiring recommendations?
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 830

Fuses are generally recommended for EVERYTHING.. for the reason that ANYTHING can happen. However, for a RACE CAR, I pretty much feel that fuses are overkill... the most likely situation that you would run into is that .. during pre-race prep, you MIGHT touch something (with a wrench or screwdriver, etc) that would not harm anything normally but would CERTAINLY BLOW ANY FUSE in that circuit. As a result .. at grid time, you might TRY to crank the car (after already being belted in with helmet/hans ON ) and find that NOTHING works .. at least nothing on THAT fused circuit.

I could certainly be WRONG in my 'feeling' .. but over the years I have encountered quite the number of blown fuses .. and I'd guess that about 95% of them were blown by ME .. touching something for 'just an instant' with a 'tool of some sort'. Maybe that should be 99%?

Mostly, THINGS that could cause a fuse to blow .. just DIE instead. ... but rarely POP the fuse.

YMMV,
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Gents;

Over the past twenty years on Apex, I have collected dozens of schematics, but I do not recall any with fuses. Can anyone point me in a direction that I can get some advice, like amp ratings and wiring recommendations?
    No.

I've wired more than a few racecars in the past 35 years. I trust my ability to do it good enough to not need any fuses.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    ...I could certainly be WRONG in my 'feeling' .. but over the years I have encountered quite the number of blown fuses .. and I'd guess that about 95% of them were blown by ME .. touching something for 'just an instant' with a 'tool of some sort'. Maybe that should be 99%?...YMMV,
    Steve
    Most blown fuses that I've encountered (house, street vehicles, racecars, etc.) either failed from thermal-cycle fatigue or an internal defect. I'd say that less than 5% of blown fuses I've had were from something in their circuit shorting out which is what they're supposed to do. So, unless the device that it's protecting came wired with one, I don't use fuses in racecars.
    Dave Weitzenhof

13. The following 5 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    No.

I've wired more than a few racecars in the past 35 years. I trust my ability to do it good enough to not need any fuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Most blown fuses that I've encountered (house, street vehicles, racecars, etc.) either failed from thermal-cycle fatigue or an internal defect. I'd say that less than 5% of blown fuses I've had were from something in their circuit shorting out which is what they're supposed to do. So, unless the device that it's protecting came wired with one, I don't use fuses in racecars.
    Fellas;

Considering the price of a new xpondr with annual subscription fees, I am inclined to put an inline fuse as recommended. I will contact MyLaps tomorrow and report back.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 597

Default old expression

A $400 picture tube will always protect a 10 cent fuse by blowing first

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    And .. if you do that, it would be a good idea to include a small LED indicator to show that the fuse was good at that moment.
    Steve, good stuff here.
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 09.18.22 at 7:12 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 20

I'll admit to preferring fuses over not for things I care about like a Motec. Usually when a fuse blows it's after I've mis-wired something or stuck a wrench where it didn't belong. And then was happy it was just a fuse I blew.

Thread Information