Liked: 1

Default No F2000 wings??

Help me out here. I see that under the GCR section regarding cars registered before 1/1/86 (2.1.22), rule C2 prohibits the use of wings.... I know that FF cars were never allowed wings, but this section seems to apply to F2000 (and later, FC) cars. I own a Van Diemen RF84 that was registered well before 1986 and I'd like to drive it in vintage events with its wings and slicks. But why this rule?

Liked: 984

Quote Originally Posted by MrJackson View Post
    Help me out here. I see that under the GCR section regarding cars registered before 1/1/86 (2.1.22), rule C2 prohibits the use of wings.... I know that FF cars were never allowed wings, but this section seems to apply to F2000 (and later, FC) cars. I own a Van Diemen RF84 that was registered well before 1986 and I'd like to drive it in vintage events with its wings and slicks. But why this rule?

That would only pertain to the F1600 car.

Liked: 3283

Looks to me that this is just something that got overlooked thinking only about FF. FC actually requires wings, IIRC. I don't think anyone would protest you for that - it's an obvious mistake.

I'd call SCCA and ask them about this. 1-800-770-2055
    Dave Weitzenhof

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Looks to me that this is just something that got overlooked thinking only about FF. FC actually requires wings, IIRC. I don't think anyone would protest you for that - it's an obvious mistake.

I'd call SCCA and ask them about this. 1-800-770-2055
    Thanks. That's the way I see it too, but I had to ask to be sure.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

IIRC, FC didn't become a class in SCCA until the 1986 rules were written.

It would interesting to know the history of your 1984 VD; I drove one in 1985 in the Canadian Tire/Motomaster Series in Canada but lost track of where it went.

edit- I meant modern FC (F2000). FC was a class dating back to the early '70s or before with different rules.
    Last edited by Bob Wright; 08.15.22 at 2:29 PM.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    IIRC, FC didn't become a class in SCCA until the 1986 rules were written.

It would interesting to know the history of your 1984 VD; I drove one in 1985 in the Canadian Tire/Motomaster Series in Canada but lost track of where it went.
    I found the car in Texas after an 18-year stay in a barn. According to the original logbook, it was owned and driven as a FF for its first year by C.T. Hancock who later became the SCCA FF National Champion in another car. The car was converted to FC in '85 (I think) and has stayed in the Texas/Louisiana/Oklahoma area all its life until it was put in storage. I bought it two years ago and have slowly restored it in the hopes that the vintage organizations will accept it.

Liked: 104

Ran this 1984 VD as FC with no issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information