Liked: 4

Default Shelby CAN AM/SCCA Enterprises Spec Racer

The SCA (Shelby CAN AM) is an antique by today's standards, yet it is a Sports Racer by definition. While SCCA/Shelby only constructed two prototypes and 74 production chassis, very few are seen in SCCA competition today, yet some are occasionally seen on track at Vintage venues like SVRA and HSR.

August 6-7, 2022 was the dates for the Nor-Cal Shelby Club's Annual Mini-Nats at Sonoma, California's Sears Point Raceway.

Rare indeed, the presence of chassis number 38 SCA actually on track with impressive speed. In attendance to represent the significant contributions of Carroll Hall Shelby to the motorsports world was Aaron Shelby, grandson of Carroll Shelby and Gary Patterson, President of Shelby American. Both were offered a track session in the CAN AM with Gary Patterson accepting the offer. Mr. Shelby was a wee bit too tall to fit in the car without significant changes to pedals and restraints. Maybe a private session can be arranged in the future.

I have attached a group photo of the team driver/owner and Aaron and Gary.

I would like to acknowledge the significant contributions of Mike Davies to the success of not only the SRF and SRF3 programs, but also as a championship driver and contributor to the Shelby CAN AM program from inception in 1989 to 1996. Thanks Mike!

Sincerely,

Bob Johnston

PS: Could not correct photo orientation.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#038 Full Right Sears Pt 2022.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	104226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#038 RF C. Johnston Sears Pt 2022.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	104225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G.Patterson Sonoma 2022.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	104224  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CJ Patt Shel RDJ Sonoma 2022.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	104227  

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

Default Shelby Can Am

Thanks Bob, for many things. Thanks for arranging to have Gary and Aaron reunited with the Shelby Can Am. Thanks for serving all these years as the keeper of the flame and chief historian of the Shelby Can Am program. And thanks so much for your generous help getting my car set up years ago. Boy was it fun to drive! Predictable, communicative, quick, safe and all around a great car for amateurs to learn in and for professionals to race. I miss mine already!
    Walt

Liked: 4

Default Dr. Kagan

Quote Originally Posted by wak9999 View Post
    Thanks Bob, for many things. Thanks for arranging to have Gary and Aaron reunited with the Shelby Can Am. Thanks for serving all these years as the keeper of the flame and chief historian of the Shelby Can Am program. And thanks so much for your generous help getting my car set up years ago. Boy was it fun to drive! Predictable, communicative, quick, safe and all around a great car for amateurs to learn in and for professionals to race. I miss mine already!
    Walt
    Walt, It's because of appreciative and capable people like you that give me the motivation to keep this thing going. As you recognize, it is a labor of love, love for the creators of the car, love for those that have owned, driven and praised the car and respect for those that have invested their time and money in these little known racing machines. For them, I will do everything I can to help them pass along to others, the enjoyment they have with the car. As you know, the new owner of 014 has contacted me for advice and assistance. Fortunately for me, he is in Florida and I have put him in contact with the original owner of your car so they can talk about the history of the car. Your kind words are sincerely appreciated. BTW, the current owner is in Monterey for the Historic Races. If you are in the area I would like to put the two of you together. Let's keep in touch as I plan on calling Steve when I return to Florida. I'm in Sacramento until the 25th. Best wishes my friend. Bob

Thread Information