Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Default GKN tripod joints

So...there seems to be a lack of tripods for late model FC's and FF's. Does anyone know the source of these items? I'm thinking about what street car used them; late 80's or '90s would be the time frame I would think.. Description as below from Primus Parts-

(0)
    $64.99
    ready to ship
    GKN Tripod Joint-30 spline fits Van Diemen 94 thru-current, Citation ,FE, pro MazdaQuick View
    GKN TRIPOD JOINT-30 SPLINE FITS VAN DIEMEN 94 THRU-CURRENT, CITATION ,FE, PRO MAZDA
    (0)
    $64.99
    ready to ship
    BUY

Quick View

----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 99

As far as I have been able to tell, the GKN GI69 30-spline (but not 22-spline) tripods have been backordered pretty much everywhere since at least March.

When I looked into it in more detail in May, I was told that GKN was quoting a 16-week lead time... but that they had also been quoting a 16-week lead time for months.

I subsequently dug more, and I found one other vendor, YAC of Taiwan, that lists a dimensionally similar part in their catalog, #RE-53-P01. Notably, YAC lists other applications for some of their other tripods, but none were listed for that particular part. Not sure I want to take a flier on it though, or even whether they are actually available rather than being theoretically available.

One word of caution: if you do manage to source some tripods from somewhere, even if they claim to be genuine GKN tripods, check everything very carefully. I got a set of ostensibly "GKN" tripods last winter from a vendor whose reputation has fallen on hard times, and dimension E (as shown below, basically the diameter of the casting) was so different than in the past that the tripods wouldn't fit in my tripod housings. Yes, technically dimension E is unspecified, but it still caused problems for me.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Quote Originally Posted by Teuobk View Post
    I subsequently dug more, and I found one other vendor, YAC of Taiwan, that lists a dimensionally similar part in their catalog, #RE-53-P01. Notably, YAC lists other applications for some of their other tripods, but none were listed for that particular part. Not sure I want to take a flier on it though, or even whether they are actually available rather than being theoretically available.
    Looking at that catalog, ("CR" = Chrysler, "FD" = Ford, etc.), I'm jumping to the conclusion that "RE" might stand for "Renault", and then looking at Renault tripod joints, I found this:

https://shop.febest.eu/tripod-joint-...-2416-meg.html

30 tooth spline... ...29.9mm roller diameter...

It looks like we might have a winner.

4. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

I sent the company a request yesterday to verify 'in stock'- have heard nothing back yet. If they have them, I'll order a bunch of them, but always leery of a vender I have never heard of, especially one outside the USA.
    ----------

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    I sent the company a request yesterday to verify 'in stock'- have heard nothing back yet. If they have them, I'll order a bunch of them, but always leery of a vender I have never heard of, especially one outside the USA.
    They sell in/to the US via Wally World, with whatever assurances Walmart offers, and at a better price.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Febest-TR...8895/120638297

Usual disclaimers.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Why do I think that really scares me?

So...I ordered a couple of them from Walmart- Surprise! They are out of stock.
    Last edited by Bob Wright; 08.10.22 at 1:10 PM.
    ----------

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4358

Just a tip for those with a bag of crashed tri-pods. They rarely break or wear out. Usually, when we rip off a rear corner, one of the 3 snap rings gets knocked off, a ball moves outward, a few needle bearings fall out, and it gets covered with dirt and grass. For $65, we put a new one on and go.

But they can be cleaned and reassembled, probably 6 crashed ones will make 4 good ones. The snap ring on each ball only holds it together until its in the housing. My guess is 20 mins work will salvage one that came apart. And a reassembled older tri-pod joint may be better quality than a brand new one of unknown or Chinese origin.

Your results may vary, but my cars have won lots of races with reassembled tri-pods. Successful race hire providers, like low-budget club racers, cannot stay financially viable by slapping on new parts every time there is a problem.
    Last edited by problemchild; 08.12.22 at 1:15 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post

So...I ordered a couple of them from Walmart- Surprise! They are out of stock.
    Sure. But it's a great price.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 48

Default plenty of stock here

same or next day shipping on these, depending on when the order is placed

https://velocityhaus.com/products/vd...n&_ss=e&_v=1.0
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 81

Default Tri Pods

I would by them from Greg. All of his stuff is great quality...

Sean

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Looking at that catalog, ("CR" = Chrysler, "FD" = Ford, etc.), I'm jumping to the conclusion that "RE" might stand for "Renault", and then looking at Renault tripod joints, I found this:

https://shop.febest.eu/tripod-joint-...-2416-meg.html

30 tooth spline... ...29.9mm roller diameter...

It looks like we might have a winner.

Jeez.... Walmart?!?!?!? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Febest-TR...8895/120638297

This matches the part numbers in the link Alan found. $15.95? YMMV

Thread Information