Liked: 1

Default Clutch for Autocross FF

I'm presently running an F3 clutch in my VD RF92 (with Kent & LD200), but autocross standing starts are very hard on it. Any recommendations on a clutch better suited for standing starts?

Liked: 309

Rob,

Has your F3 clutch ever failed?

I’ve used the F3 clutch (both Tilton and Quartermaster) in Solo for 25+ years (50 to 100 standing starts per year) and never had one fail. In the last 15+ years, I had my engine rebuilt twice (once to update crank / once due to block failure) and only replaced clutch out of convenience as both times the F3 clutch was at 50%.

The above said, you could drop back to the stock Kent clutch. The 82 Reynard I once owned had a stock clutch. It was great for around the paddock type movement but I replaced it with the F3 when I updated the engine as was WAY heavier than the F3 (ie slower to rev/accelerate).
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 63

Tilton Flow Control Valve
    90-5000
    I used to sell a lot of these to the drag race crowd . great for reducing shock loads

scotty
    Scott Young
    Scott Young Enterprises
    scotty@sy-gearboxes.com

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

I've had one failure and a near-failure. The F3 clutch that was in the car when purchased failed after a couple of AX seasons, the splines in the hub got completely cleaned out! I replaced the clutch & PP myself.

A couple of seasons later the annular slave began to leak badly, so I took the car to a race shop in Houston to address that. After disassembly, the shop called and let me know that the clutch plate was about to fail. Several cracks were visible in the metal, radiating inward from the little holes just inside the friction material area. Wouldn't have lasted much longer.

I used a standard Pinto clutch in my earlier FF (VD RF82). It held up OK, but was heavy.

So I was hoping that something is now available that is lighter than the stock Pinto clutch, but more robust than an F3 clutch.

Liked: 490

Default Alt clutch

Yes, call Scotty
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Thread Information