Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Default Front mount 4 port oil pump question

Hi all. I am looking for some help on where the oil hoses go to on my motor. The motor as well as the car were completely apart when I bought it. It is a Rowland Ford front mount. The obvious IN & Out are marked but the others have me thinking. There is an attaching point on the left side main gallery and also another on the right side as you can see in the photos. I haven't had a front mount before so that is why I need some help. Thanks for any help/photos you can give.
    Graham

Liked: 58

Default Front mount pump hookup

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    Hi all. I am looking for some help on where the oil hoses go to on my motor. The motor as well as the car were completely apart when I bought it. It is a Rowland Ford front mount. The obvious IN & Out are marked but the others have me thinking. There is an attaching point on the left side main gallery and also another on the right side as you can see in the photos. I haven't had a front mount before so that is why I need some help. Thanks for any help/photos you can give.
    The angle of the top photo is a bit too straight-on to tell for sure, but this pump looks very similar to other (side-mounted) dry sump oil pumps, just driven from the nose of the jackshaft instead of from the skew-gear that also drives the distributor.

If so, the Aeroquip hose shown hooked-up to the outer pump section/stage labeled "IN" (scavenge, on all the ones I've seen) should be coming from the dry-sump pan. Then, the "OUTput" of that section would go into the top of the dry-sump tank (reservoir), wherever that is. Note that the photo angle makes it a bit hard to be certain the port with cast-in label "OUT" is actual part of the scavenge section/stage.

The pressure section/stage of the pump is (typically) closest to the engine. Input to that stage comes from the bottom of the oil tank. The right angle fitting with blue tape on the opening would typically be that pressure inlet port. Best if it had a bent elbow Aeroquip hose fitting connected to it for minimum flow resistance sucking that oil out of the dry-sump tank, not the sharp right angle fitting that is present. Output of this stage (I can't see in the picture, usually right near the oil pressure relief adjust screw @ approx. 5 o'clock in the front face view of the oil pump) should go through oil filter. Then into the engine. If the fitting with red cap toward the right side of the photo is open & feeds into the exhaust-side main oil gallery of the Kent block, that is the most direct path into main bearings. If that is the chosen way to feed pressurized oil to the engine, the brass fitting near the distributor (2nd photo) would need to be plugged/capped (could also be routed to an oil pressure gage, I think).

Lee

Liked: 162

Nice summary, Lee. As you note, the photos don't show the pressure-out port on the pump. It looks as if the pressure outlet may run through a conduit integral to the Rowland seal carrier (that raised horizontal lump in the casting) and connect to the left-side gallery on the block. If so, the oil filter placement is a mystery. A photo of the left side of the Rowland casting would help.
    P.S.: 1. Oil cooler (if used) would be in the scavenge-out to reservoir line;
    2. That water pump drive belt doesn't look right.
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciate it. Do these photos help. The port with the braided line goes to the pan, the OUT port is bottom (6 o'clock)
    Graham

Liked: 162

Found another one...still can't see how to include an oil filter, though. Is that fitting on the left (the car's left) open into the left.-side gallery?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	httpwwwracecarscomengsoldford11690006851169000685pfjpg.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	103852  
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

Default oil pump

Quote Originally Posted by bob darcey View Post
    Found another one...still can't see how to include an oil filter, though. Is that fitting on the left (the car's left) open into the left.-side gallery?
    Blue tape oil in from tank put stright fittig there then a 60 deg. fitting on the hose from the tank. Red cap pressure out run hose through a remote oil filter then to the fitting on the block .

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Thanks

OK, with all your help I think I have it figured out. Thank you so much for your time and photos. It is appreciated. I just haven't done a front mount 4 port before but thanks to your input we should be good now. Cheers,
    Graham

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

OK, with all your help I think I have it figured out. Thank you so much for your time and photos. It is appreciated. I just haven't done a front mount 4 port before but thanks to your input we should be good now. Cheers,
    Earley --

Clarification (I hope) of Aussy Cleaver's comment above:

"Red cap pressure out run hose through a remote oil filter then to the fitting on the block."
    <Ensure that the passage in the oil pump casting doesn't connect directly into the block main oil gallery (on exhaust side) directly behind the fitting with the red cap. Otherwise, much of the pressurized oil will go (UNFILTERED!) directly into that oil gallery then to bearings.The casting may not be drilled thru in that direction,;if it is, screw a tapered pipe plug into the front of the oil gallery (likely already tapped for such plug).>

Your photo looking at the left front of the oil pump casting shows a flush pipe plug in the casting @ the end of the pressure passage. That could be a convenient place for an oil pressure gage line to connect.

Lee

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Lee. Yes that fitting screws into that port on the motor left side with a closed end so it caps it off. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.
    Graham

Liked: 4

Default oil pump

Thanks Lee. Yes that fitting screws into that port on the motor left side with a closed end so it caps it off. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.
    Just a note don't skimp on hose size I use dash 10 all round except the hose on pressure side to block I use dash 8 .

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Yup. AN-10 on all. Thanks for the help
    Graham

Thread Information