Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Ozarks International Raceway

A couple weeks ago we had our first Majors race at the new Ozarks International Raceway. The 3.9 mile course has more elevation change per lap than any other track in the US and has everything from low speed to high speed corners. There's even a section of the track that is the longest straight line called the "roller coaster". Nineteen corners sounds like a lot but it was surprisingly easy to learn.

For those that want something different than their normal track they've been to 50 times, this should be on your list next year. It is a blast to drive and a bunch of people came away saying this was their new favorite track.

Here is a lap at speed, of course like most videos this doesn't do it justice, the elevation change is way more dramatic in person. Gearing was a wild guess and didn't feel like making any gearing changes during the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzu4FyLTZvA

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by bill johnson 42 View Post
    a couple weeks ago we had our first majors race at the new ozarks international raceway. The 3.9 mile course has more elevation change per lap than any other track in the us and has everything from low speed to high speed corners. There's even a section of the track that is the longest straight line called the "roller coaster". Nineteen corners sounds like a lot but it was surprisingly easy to learn.

For those that want something different than their normal track they've been to 50 times, this should be on your list next year. It is a blast to drive and a bunch of people came away saying this was their new favorite track.

Here is a lap at speed, of course like most videos this doesn't do it justice, the elevation change is way more dramatic in person. Gearing was a wild guess and didn't feel like making any gearing changes during the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzu4fyltzva
    Wowza! THAT looks like fun.
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 06.30.22 at 6:35 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 3787

Lots of high speed sections. I like.

OBTW... boring helmet.

Liked: 597

Wow.

Liked: 530

Nice track. Nice to see the guardrails. Was wondering how they’d handle safety after seeing an early lap video during construction.
    Using pit in as runoff after near final corner is a bit suspect though.

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Using pit in as runoff after near final corner is a bit suspect though.

I think building a new track and then putting barrier four feet or less from the track is dumb, especially around areas like turn 1 which is high speed and it looks like there is maybe three feet before you hit the barrier. There are going to be some torn up cars here---worse than the Glen, I suspect.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

Nice video. You look to have terrific pace on that lap.

I couldn't tell from the video, are they using a light system for or to complement flagging? There looks to be a light overhanging the track as you enter several blind sections.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Lots of high speed sections. I like.

OBTW... boring helmet.

Hahah, I know. Every year I swear that I'll get it painted or do something cool and just never get it done. Maybe something wrong with my off season time management.

We had a full staff of F & C workers to staff all 19 corners but the electronic lights were also used and they were well placed and very helpful. Corner stations were also well placed, you're pretty busy in the car so having both was helpful.

Everything about the place is first class with the buildings and race control. Still a lot of amenities in progress like spectator viewing areas and rv hook ups. The owner is a former driver and they also have a current IMSA team, he's pretty hands-on, very approachable and tries to make sure everyone has a good experience at his place.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

Looks like a hoot, but that's a LOT of Armco.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thread Information