Liked: 702

Default U-haul car hauler

Has anybody successfully used a U-haul vehicle trailer to transport an FC or other formula car? I think the deck is big enough but I'm curious about the height and the ability to get the car on and off. I'm trying to avoid taking my enclosed trailer on a 24 hr round trip. Any other suggestions?

If this doesn't work, does anybody in the NE WI/Milwaukee area have a lightweight open trailer they would consider loaning or renting this weekend?

Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 309

Yes, but it wasn’t easy.

I brokered a deal which included helping new owner load up car (RF-98 FF); it was a challenge.

Due to “channeled” trailer deck, needed 2x12 planks and paddock wheels to gain enough height for side pod clearance.

I was not involved w the unload so I have no idea how that went…
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Mike,

I've rented that trailer a number of times to haul street cars. If you have transport wheels for your FC, that raises the ride height to 6" or more it would most likely work.
    Slicks with a 2" ride height, don't bother.
    FWIW, it's an easy towing trailer. They have a cool braking system that uses a sliding tongue to activate a master cylinder and hydraulic drums on all 4 wheels. Last time I towed one, lady pulls out in front of me, I slam the brakes, let go of the steering wheel and close my eyes waiting for impact,it almost felt like the trailer was dragging me backwards.Missed her by a couple of inches.

Steve

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I used one as well, but it was 20 years ago. They must have changed the design because I didn't have issues with the channels, but it did take a LOT of wood to get it up there.

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    ...but it did take a LOT of wood to get it up there.

I can't believe no one has commented on THAT statement...LMAO
    Glenn

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

That goes along with a statement the former owner made as we were trying to figure that out "if you're going to own a formula car you have to have a lot of wood..."

8. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1

Yes, used the exact trailer depicted three times now (CA$54 per day). Trailer wheels work but slicks make the car too low and therefore had to get the car on to ramp and then jack each ramp up to flatten the transition from ramp to trailer. All good!

Liked: 5

where did you guys get these trailer wheels? Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post

Yes, but it wasn’t easy.

I brokered a deal which included helping new owner load up car (RF-98 FF); it was a challenge.

Due to “channeled” trailer deck, needed 2x12 planks and paddock wheels to gain enough height for side pod clearance.

I was not involved w the unload so I have no idea how that went…

Liked: 131

A little birdie told me you can fit the car inside the uhaul truck just fine. In fact the longer ones will fit a formula cat and a regular car. Loading needs a 4 post lift or a loading dock though

you might be able to get the car in with a wrecker. hang it by the roll bar and use the boom to push it in. Depends on the machine obviously.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    A little birdie told me you can fit the car inside the uhaul truck just fine. In fact the longer ones will fit a formula cat and a regular car. Loading needs a 4 post lift or a loading dock though
    We used a rental cube van with a rollup door for two years with our FF. Didnt need a lift, just inconveniently LONG ramps
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    We used a rental cube van with a rollup door for two years with our FF. Didnt need a lift, just inconveniently LONG ramps
    My rig back in 1987-89 for my RF81 was a 14' Chevy box van with a winch mounted where the refrigeration unit frame work had been above the cab. I painted it white with a red wraparound stripe. Looked just like an ambulance. People on the long Island expressway would actually move over and let me through traffic on my way back and forth to Bridgehampton.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

15. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information