Liked: 235

Default Trailer Alarm "Brain" Needed

I had an alarm system in my trailer with GPS and cell phone paging but it self destructed. I'm left with the motion detector, magnetic reed switches on both doors, an alarm, and a keyed on/off switch. But no brain to run it.

I want to put this already paid for equipment back into use without going the way of the $1000+ systems that are pretty much all I can find on the internet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively I'd consider an all new system but for now I'd like to forgo the paging and GPS route.

(BTW, I added an independent GPS tracker that works reasonably well for not much money.)
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 942

I've been using this product for over 7 years with good results. OOS at the moment but they sell for $200 for a trailer kit plus $18/month cell service. Owner of company is a racer.

https://www.geoskyalert.com/#/homepage
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    I've been using this product for over 7 years with good results. OOS at the moment but they sell for $200 for a trailer kit plus $18/month cell service. Owner of company is a racer.

https://www.geoskyalert.com/#/homepage
    Thanks for the suggestion Dan. I tried that one a few years ago. In my part of the country it just didn't work. It wouldn't contact my phone or my partner's phone. On my usual 160 mile drive to a particular site it would update only once or twice and then not recognize where I was once I got there. I think it works well on the west coast.
    Jim

Liked: 597

a cheap alternative..............take the wheels/tires off one side of the trailer and use jack stands, don't leave the tires in the trailer.
    How many thieves carry spare tires to do the 'job' ??

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    a cheap alternative..............take the wheels/tires off one side of the trailer and use jack stands, don't leave the tires in the trailer.
    How many thieves carry spare tires to do the 'job' ??
    Take one off and put on other side, down the road they go.

john f

7. The following members LIKED this post:

I wondered about those orange smoke bombs that Verstappen fans set off at F1 races. So I looked it up and they're very affordable. So I thought about getting the dark gray colored ones and rigging it up to the alarm system (whatever one I end up getting). Thief opens the door and all that smoke comes out. Might run off. But then I thought about it and it might really piss him off and make him destroy anything he doesn't take. Scratch that one.

At the moment there's nothing on the trailer to indicate there's anything special inside. No graphics. No special locks. Sometimes I think that is a good thing and they won't bother my stuff. But more often I think I'd like a loud alarm to go off.

Perhaps I'll call my EE friend and ask him about making a brain that will work with that parts I have.
    Jim

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

One of my goals has been to reduce my costs related to storage. $220/mo for a 20ft trailer is what is the going rate here if you can find it.

My plan is to have a trailer built with a removable concession tongue. I can fit a 20ft on my driveway without the tongue.
    Also, with the tongue removed there is no way to tow it.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

True. But it can be broken into.
    Jim

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    True. But it can be broken into.
    Many thieves cut holes in the walls to avoid armed doors. Yeah. No way to really stop thaf.

But I think my chances are better at home than a storage yard.

Absolutely
    Jim

Thread Information