Liked: 1868

Default Indy Lites crash at RA

Looks to me like a second layer of fencing a couple feet behind the first is in order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj-ubPn7a7o

Liked: 702

I felt that the fence did it's job perfectly. There were a LOT of people standing there and I don't think anyone was hit by any debris. I think the better action would be to shave down the first few feet of rumble strips to make a smoother transition. However, there is also a new flag station just upstream of the incident that you can see in the video. They might want to rethink that location. Having said that, I've hit those rumble strips and have seen plenty of other cars hit them and have never seen this happen. I'm confident that RA staff is reviewing the incident and formulating a plan.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

3. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 278

A F2000 car also launched off that curb but the nose did not come up. I also thought that the fence worked perfectly

Liked: 830

Wonder how long it took them to repair that fence and get the racing going again? Anyone know? That looked like Lap 1.

Really cool how the guy with the camera was able to catch the replay on the big screen...

Also wonder what happened to cause the car to 'drift off' like that. I didn't see any contact .. .just looked like his lost his focus for a moment ?

Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    ...Also wonder what happened to cause the car to 'drift off' like that. I didn't see any contact .. .just looked like his lost his focus for a moment ?...
    That's exactly what I was wondering. Did something break, or did he lose consciousness for a moment?
    Dave Weitzenhof

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Wonder how long it took them to repair that fence and get the racing going again? Anyone know? That looked like Lap 1.

Lap 8, Race highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILzaf6xjb2Q

Liked: 702

Almost exactly one hour.

Also wonder what happened to cause the car to 'drift off' like that. I didn't see any contact .. .just looked like his lost his focus for a moment ?
    It might be an optical illusion but it appears there is a car immediately to the driver's left and I think he reacted to that car moving over in the braking zone.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I thought he just missed the braking point and went long

Liked: 830

IMHO, he seemed to suddenly be closing on the car ahead .. guessing the car ahead let off early. Bogle juked a tad right and found himself out of track just before 'taking off'. I picked that from the previous view as they came out from under the bridge. - start at 3:14 - he's the blue car at the top of the frame... and again at 3:28.

Some seriously SERIOUS racing in that race ...
    SD
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Thread Information