Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

Default Loose wheel causes?

At my last event I had a wheel nut come loose and was stopped by the safety pin. the wheel had been torqued, although referring to Van Diemen documentation, my torque spec was a bit low (100 ft lbs vs 130) - although I've run the car this way for years with no issues.

No damage other than the top thread in the nut was buggered. Took it apart at the track and again at home. I can find no damage nor any indication of what went wrong. When I put the wheel on I seated it, ran the nut down with a chatter gun, dropped the car and then torqued it up with a beam wrench. Usually if there's some reason it's not seated properly the end of the nut will look out of place WRT the safety pin.

I also measured the distance from the end of the axle to the hub face - both right and left are within .050 of each other.

Back in February at Willow Springs another guy with a 95 VD had an axle back out of the hat, shearing off all the drive pins. I'm still puzzled over that one. If the axle was properly inserted and the washers were under the bolt heads the axle should have been retained by the washers against the flutes. I don't know all the details though.

Others must have had this happen - what are the usual causes?

Liked: 295

I would torque it to the recommended value and keep an eye on it....checking frequently.

Liked: 802

Check that the drive pin holes in all the wheels are deeper than the longest drive pin. We had a wheel with slightly shallow holes, so wheel seemed seated and when torqued it looked and felt ok. With car vibration the pin tips eventually chewed into the bottom of the holes and it lost nut torque.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

4. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 3290

Inadequate chamfer on the ID of the inner edge of the wheel center hole will allow the wheel to rock on the hub radius and come loose. The few loose wheels I've had in 50+ years of racing were due to that.
    Dave Weitzenhof

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 601

1. I torque to 115 using the handy-dandy regular ol' power drill (not impact wrench/driver) and then the regular ol' Craftsman torque wrench.
    2. Time to buy new nuts

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Inadequate chamfer on the ID of the inner edge of the wheel center hole will allow the wheel to rock on the hub radius and come loose. The few loose wheels I've had in 50+ years of racing were due to that.
    And that sometimes is due to someone machining the mating surface down to try and match offset of another wheel or set of wheels.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

Scratches, dirt, rust, or debri on face of hub or wheel can be an issue.

Liked: 1875

Which wheel?

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Left rear. Right rear seems to have taken the opportunity for a wheel bearing failure too....

There was a small amount of shavings in the drive pin holes and I haven't measured with a gauge yet but you could hardly see the wear.

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    2. Time to buy new nuts
    Those were on my list when Brad had his stroke....

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Are the wheels powder coated or painted?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Are the wheels powder coated or painted?
    Near as I can tell these were original OZ.

Liked: 20

It sounds crazy but check this. When I rebuilt my uprights on my Van Diemen, I replaced the stub axles. I had a wheel that would torque but then come loose. Checked the pins, wheel, wheel nuts, etc. Nothing seemed out of place or order. I disassembled everything and measured everything that I had changed. I found one of the stub axles had its threads cut about a quarter of a rotation shorter than the others. It wasn't obvious just looking at it. Thus it would bottom out when torqued but then wobble on the pins once under load.

Doug
    2005 Cooper Tires Zetec Championship #35 GTP Motorsports

Liked: 225

Default Loose nut

Rick,

I had an issue with my 01 where the wheel nuts tightened after torqueing.

Once I replaced the wheel bearings, the problem went away. I suppose it possible that a bad bearing could cause this?

I'm sure smarter people than I will have an opinion that is worth more.

John
    Last edited by JHerscher; 06.13.22 at 10:35 AM.

Liked: 295

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    Rick,

I had an issue with my 01 where the wheel nuts tightened after torqueing.

Once I replaced the wheel bearings, the problem went away. I suppose it possible that a bad bearing could cause this?

I'm sure smarter people than I will have an opinion that is worth more.

John
    What did it do that indicated tightening after torqueing?

Default Tight nut

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    What did it do that indicated tightening after torqueing?
    Required an 800 pound gorilla to loosen!

Exceeded the torque capacity of my 150 ft-lb torque wrench. I ultimately used a breaker bar and jumped on it to loosen the nuts.

Liked: 802

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    Required an 800 pound gorilla to loosen!

Exceeded the torque capacity of my 150 ft-lb torque wrench. I ultimately used a breaker bar and jumped on it to loosen the nuts.
    were the install torque and removal torque conditions identical?

for instance, torquing up an aluminum wheel to xxx lb-ft when the wheel is say 50 degrees F early in the morning, then trying to untorque it immediately after a session when the aluminum might be close to 200 degrees will produce a much large untorque number given the relative expansion of the aluminum putting more tension in the torque stack.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Not my problem

Untorqued and retorqued before each session on a cool wheel. First noticed it after wheels were removed to replace brake pads after reaching ambient temp post session. Also a bear to remove after returning to the shop.

You guys, please stop trying to solve something for me that was resolved 6 years ago after replacing the wheel bearings. Rick is the one with the problem to solve!

I'm beginning to think this was wheel bearings.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

I think I had a similar issue on my DB6 when I first got it. IIRC, Doug Learned said it was always the LR wheel. After replacing the drive pins with the correct size and diameter for the wheels and adding steel inserts to the wheels, I've never had the issue again.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 946

Have you checked the drive pins and the pin holes in the wheel for size and ovality? If the wheel can rotate back and forth against the pin, the wheel can "ratchet" against the nut causing it to loosen. Yes, a worn bearing could also be the cause.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    were the install torque and removal torque conditions identical?

for instance, torquing up an aluminum wheel to xxx lb-ft when the wheel is say 50 degrees F early in the morning, then trying to untorque it immediately after a session when the aluminum might be close to 200 degrees will produce a much large untorque number given the relative expansion of the aluminum putting more tension in the torque stack.
    Good one Ian.
    May I add that it could be the (6) SHCS, metric as I recall x 100mm (?). that draw the whole lot together, brgs,stub etc, backing off just a smidge?
    Take care all and have a great summer racing.
    KR.

no. I easily removed the right side brake hat with a brass drift and a light hammer, but the left side is being a bastard. when I get it off I'll start comparing - I have six rear wheels to fool around with.

Default well crap, what now?

So when I pushed out the left brake hat from the bearing, it decided to take the outer race with it. Other than going after it with a grinder and whacking it with a chisel in hopes it will crack and slide off, what's the best way to go about it?

Dry ice?

There are three holes in the hub that go down to the bearing race. I take it this was designed for some kind of service tool that screws onto the axle and then presses down on the race to remove it?

I've never seen a commercial one. Anybody rig one up and have a picture?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Had hat happen. Used a dremel to cut down but not through.
    Then prying the slot with a screwdriver popped it.

Liked: 706

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post

There are three holes in the hub that go down to the bearing race. I take it this was designed for some kind of service tool that screws onto the axle and then presses down on the race to remove it?

I've never seen a commercial one. Anybody rig one up and have a picture?
    I made my own but this is the tool you're looking for:
    http://rsport.us/Rsport_VD_Hub_Tool.html
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

33. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 601

Default Speaking of Brad......

Couldn't find the past threads about his accident and all the comments........so I'll post this here for those wondering about how Primus is functioning..............

I need some brake pads the other day........placed the order online at Primus..........two days later UPS delivered 'em !!

35. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 91

Undertorqueing can definitely lead to the nut coming loose. Also, thread lubricant comes into play. Required torque is less with thread lubricant and more with no lubricant it’s important to know how the spec is defined. If you had been using lubricant and it wore off over time, it could be the reason 100 Ft-lb used to work but has stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37. The following 2 users liked this post:

strangely enough I had just re-applied it that weekend.

Liked: 20

I've posted here a few times while chasing a recurring issue of wheel nut loosening. March 87C 2.25" spindles and hardware in my case, on a GT car.
    Hogged out locating/drive pin holes in the wheels can allow back and forth movement on drive wheels, causing loosening action.
    Inner face of wheels mildly deformed near hogged out holes, causing reduced contact area where it mounts to car.
    Ensure clean mating surfaces of course.
    Watch for physical interference for older / swapped / non-matching parts. A couple examples mentioned in above posts. Take nothing for granted.
    Ensure clean, completely flat mating surfaces for all parts in the stack. Notably brake rotors/hats. I had an issue with a nut loosen once after replacing a rotor hat. There was galvanic corrosion on the hub that I hadn't noticed. Wheel nut loosened as new rotor hat seated itself (ground itself) on the hub, leaving a few thou clearance.

I now put shims between the wheel nuts and safety pins to take up the slack to minimize the amount they can turn in case they start to come loose.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default LR loosening

Just a quick observation but the Left Rear with a normal RH nut will tend to loosen with any play from the diff to the nut. Sometimes its very small or the torque stops the rotation. Years ago Tiga s2000 cars would lose the outer hub nut on the LR - bolt on wheels!
    Always surprised no manufacturers went LH thread on that side of the car.

We had an issue on wheel nut material on one small formula car - made new nuts out of better material and problem went away
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
    ...Hogged out locating/drive pin holes in the wheels can allow back and forth movement on drive wheels, causing loosening action...
    I now put shims between the wheel nuts and safety pins to take up the slack to minimize the amount they can turn in case they start to come loose.
    Just a note from a nerdy engineer - if there is enough clearance between the drive pins and the pin holes to be able to assemble one to the other, there WILL be some play. There is no way to avoid it. But if the compressive force between the 2 faces is high enough, the wheel will move in the highest torque direction until pin contact is made and will not rotate back the other way. So, since repetitive rotation back and forth is what causes loosening, it can be avoided even with some play if the wheel is attached tight enough. My wheels always have some play on the pins, and I have not had a wheel loosen (center-lock) in the last 30+ years.

My safety pins, which I always use, are set up as you say - hardly any room for loosening before they make contact.
    Dave Weitzenhof

makes me wonder if a washer/spacer between the pin and the nut would be helpful - at least limit the amount of loosening. I may go back to thicker pins. the thin one bent and was a pain to get off.

I have everything apart now and sent the uprights off to be re-blacked. Just need to sit down wiht the hats and the wheels that came loose and see if I can find anything obvious on the bench.

Liked: 76

I just went through replacing a RR broken bearing and hub on an Elan F2000 DP08...after reading this, it was strange to me that my wheel nut never came loose, and was tight before I disassembled.

I checked the LR, and nothing broken, but decided to replace the hub, bearing and hardware anyway. After removing the rotor hub/hat with the tool Brad sells, I put the upright in an oven at 350 for about an hour. The bearing fell out with no force, no tools required.

What disturbed me, was that I found the threaded holes for the camber shims/attachment were stripped out and helicoiled by previous owner. So what should be over inch or so of thread was repaired to only have a little less than half. I bit the bullet and ordered a new upright...just not comfortable with this on the LR. Without disassembly and shims in place, its tough to tell just exactly where the threads started in the upright.

I like the idea of taking up the space between the wheel nut and pin.

The thought just occurred to me...I also replaced my tripods and housings, as I am sure these were probably original to the car, or had been used beyond their life and not serviced regularly . The tripods did have (in my opinion) excessive play in the housings...could this contribute to any of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by ejsprint30 View Post
    ...The thought just occurred to me...I also replaced my tripods and housings, as I am sure these were probably original to the car, or had been used beyond their life and not serviced regularly . The tripods did have (in my opinion) excessive play in the housings...could this contribute to any of the above?
    Excessive play, assuming it was loose enough, could create a "hammer" effect as the slop was used up in opposing directions. So your thought that this could be at least part of the reason for the damage you found makes sense.

This idea is particularly applicable to shifting imperfectly w/o use of the clutch. When I tried to learn to shift my Staffs clutchless (for sure not smoothly), I wound up breaking one of my old style Lobro CV's. That's one of the reasons I use the clutch for every shift - less impact load on the drivetrain. I also have a lot of (excessive?) mechanical sympathy - any time I feel something jerk or shudder, I immediately have visions of stuff fatiguing or breaking.
    Last edited by DaveW; 06.26.22 at 5:19 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
    Dave Weitzenhof

45. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information