Liked: 3

Default Autocross Ride Height? (BMod)

I gave away all my setup records when I sold the car, but I think I was running around 1.5" of ground clearance to the bottom of the chassis in my old CMod car.

My new BMod car is 3.5" to the bottom of the chassis. That seems high to me (although it does make loading the car on the trailer a lot easier). I am mounting and installing new tires this week, and I'll need to reset the ride height because of a change in O.D. I was thinking I would lower the car down a bit at the same time.

Anybody willing to share some experience/advice on ride heights? 2.0" with a bit a rake sound okay?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Dave T | 1999 SFR Dragon SR1

Liked: 183

just out of curiosity, what sites do you run at in New England? Ft Devins? anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    just out of curiosity, what sites do you run at in New England? Ft Devins? anywhere else?
    Devens locally. But I will plan on DC, NJ, and Nebraska next year. I think NJ I bottomed out the CMod car, but it was okay everywhere else

Liked: 8

Drop the car 1", race it, then see what happens. Trial by error.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schmidt View Post
    Drop the car 1", race it, then see what happens. Trial by error.
    That's good advice from Bill and be ready for balance of car to change as you not only change rake but overall ground clearance.
    You got a very nice car that had a lot of good ideas designed into it.

I'd also keep in mind that you now have a downforce car (as opposed to previous CM) and depending on springing, the car will lower itself X-amt.as it develops downforce. Tommy Saunders used to run REALLY low on his BM car and was lucky to have a lot of local talent to keep fixing the sheet metal.
    Last edited by B17overhead; 06.19.22 at 6:10 PM.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Keep in mind that the car was probably designed to work at a specific ride height and changes will alter the instantaneous and roll centers and cause changes to bump steer etc.
    Autocross cars with downforce may, if sprung softly, require that stance at standstill and operate just fine at average speed.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Good points all around. I'll try to avoid changing too much until I have a chance to drive the new tires a bit. And then I will have to experiment to find out how low is too low.

Thread Information