Thread: Rust woes

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Default Rust woes

I recently acquired a 1981 RT4 that had (unfortunately) spent about 10 years (or more) in an environment that might as well have been outside in the northeast. Anything on the car that can oxidize, did to a high degree. Any steel parts touching alloy parts are virtually welded together. The rotors look like they need a haircut. Would appreciate any advice on non-destructive heavy duty rust removal (i.e. muriatic acid, etc.) Have already purchased 5 gallons of WD-40 and a good supply of Kroil. Will try coca cola and vinegar as well.

Thanks
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 5

Have had good success with molasses.

Will

Liked: 1417

My favorite rust remover... Krud Kutter

Not a penetrant or bolt remover, but will deoxidize steel pretty nicely (plus a wire brush buff) if you let it soak in a tub overnight. I used to buy it by the gallon and then strain the gunk out with coffee strainers to reuse it. Seems to last a really long time.

Liked: 25

I recently had a great first-experience using Evap-O-Rust. Like the molasses suggestion, it's a chelating agent not a strong acid or base, and mild to use. I diluted 1/2 with water used a black tub in the sun for a couple days.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 944

Evap O Rust full strength. Rinse with water, dry and spray or wipe down with light oil such as LPS or WD40 because the oxide layer is gone.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Can’t fail if Project Farm has done a test:

https://youtu.be/6-MC_ZEXQbw

https://youtu.be/8dtDLQHjHBc

chrisz

Thread Information