Liked: 678

Default rebuilding wheel

Okay guys, I know this is already on here somewhere [because I did it, years ago] but I have to rebuild a Jongebloed wheel that is leaking around the center. Presumably this is from the silicone aging. I have removed the center, and used a razor knife to split the silicone bead / seal, Now I need to get the silicone off the rim halves and replace it.

Any recommendations for how to remove the silicone?

Any recommendation for type of sealant to replace it with?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 3318

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Okay guys, I know this is already on here somewhere [because I did it, years ago] but I have to rebuild a Jongebloed wheel that is leaking around the center. Presumably this is from the silicone aging. I have removed the center, and used a razor knife to split the silicone bead / seal, Now I need to get the silicone off the rim halves and replace it.

Any recommendations for how to remove the silicone?

Any recommendation for type of sealant to replace it with?
    The usual cause of leaking is tearing the seal with a tire tool. I usually remove the silicone with a wire wheel on my grinder after scraping most of it off with a knife, chisel, etc. Dow 832 is my choice when I re-seal. Seal only in the grooves formed by the junction between the rims and the center section.

Link: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...t=sealing+rims
    Dave Weitzenhof

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

if "normal" automotive silicone sealer, have found that solvent (like mineral spirits or even gasoline) works well to swell it to point of scraping off. Small brass wire brush works well to scrape out groove, as do plastic paint scrapers cut down to fit. Might take a couple of shots to get it all off.

Seen rims go back with same automotive silicone sealer..... You might find some O-ring stock to use (brg./gasket store or McMaster Carr online) as filler, cut to length, on bias at ends, with silicone sealer bead in groove.

Bob L.

Liked: 678

Thanks guys. Looks like I didn't initiate that old thread, so that is why it wasn't in a "my threads" search. Thanks Dave, for finding it.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Thread Information