Liked: 313

Default RCFFS / FRP at Pitt Race

The registration site says 11 entrants, but neither Dan nor Wayne are going to make it due to accidents at MO.
    So I think we have 9 actual entrants at this point.
    Garrett has said if anyone is not coming due to CFF tire shortage, he has some 3 and 6 cycle tires to offer up. You’d have to ask him for details, but if you want to make, we’ll try to find a way.
    Last month at MO had an incredible race with Garrett.

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

See you there!

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 157

Default Fun but with only a small turnout

We had a lot of folks with issues that kept them away. Unfortunately also a few who started the weekend, but ended up in the 'garage'.

For Garrett, Dave and me it was a BLAST! Great venue, awesome sanction, and the joy of going up on the hill and watching the F1600 gang put on a master class between RCFFs sessions is part of the ticket. I use the term master class even though many of them don't even qualify as millenials! Thanks to everyone involved, next up Summit

Steve

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 14

Default Great time!

Garrett and I really enjoyed meeting more of the RCFFS family this past weekend at Pitt Race! Steve is right, great racing but would be great to see a field of 15 or 20. We will definitely be at the next 2 FRP events. Wishing Mark and Tom good luck in quickly repairing their rides before Summit (I know a very tall order). Right Coast family, anyone having difficulty finding Crossle parts for a repair, feel free to reach out. We have a fairly large Crossle parts inventory, so if you are having supply chain issues, please reach out.

Mark Walthew, a special thank you for all of your help for the "rookies" at Pitt Race! It was great getting to know you better and I appreciate you educating us on what we need to have on hand to mitigate downtime risks. Still much to learn, so thank you for your experienced input!

Tom, appreciate the mirror loan for the "Bird Strike Race". Sadly I think the drag coefficient held Garrett back in that last race

Great racing, great food (thanks to Tom and family), hilarious stories (Steve you're a hoot), and great times all around! Also learned something, there are lots of Corvette owners and enthusiasts in the group....too cool!

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 313

Had a good weekend at Pitt. Finished 2nd to Garrett Saturday but won twice Sunday. Sunday morning we were first group out at 8:30am. They say the early bird gets the worm. Well the early Garrett got the bird. I can’t really see it in the video, but he hit a bird on the second or third lap with his left side mirror. The bird exploded and left the front of my car and visor covered with blood and bird bits. Didn’t dare wipe my visor for fear of smearing it and making it worse. I raced him hard for the race distance until he tracked wide in turn one.I hope the attached video link works.
    Sunday afternoon I fell back a bit mid-race and then caught up as very, very light sprinkle slicked the track just a bit. Then I passed him in the last corner of the last lap around the outside, just like Mike Rand beat me a couple years ago.
    https://youtu.be/ap_Ox9K56y4

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Dave's video

Looks like the bird guts ended up on the camera lens too!

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 24

Default RCFFS PIRC 1 2022 Race Report

Right Coast Formula F Series (RCFFS) enjoyed beautiful weather and great racing this past weekend. Sunny and mostly in low 70’s. A few last minute withdrawals happened due to waiting for parts or work obligations. Those that did attend had some intense, clean racing and tales to tell.

Race 1

The race start was close. It took several laps for Garrett Dettman (37) in Mike Rand’s old Crossle 35F to get away with Dave Harmison (10, Royale RP-21) in hot pursuit. Garrett got first in CF and Dave got second in CF. Steve Roux (19, Wyvern SR1) went from dead last to third overall and first in FF. Fighting for position was Mark Walthew (22, Crossle 30F) and Tom Venturino (42, Royale RP31). Extremely close passes between them in Turn 3 for multiple lead changes. Unfortunately, Tom’s car died so he pulled off track with 3 laps to go leaving Mark to get third in CF. The kill stickers for this race were handed out at the Saturday night social.

Race 2 (Feature)
    Another close start. In one of the early laps Garrett unfortunately hit a bird in Turn 1 which broke his left mirror and splattered remains onto Dave’s helmet and into Steve’s radiator. Racing continued on though as tight as ever. Garrett spun at Turn 1 with about 5 of the 13 laps to go which put Dave on the lead with Steve in hot pursuit who got past Dave to win first overall as well as first in FF. Garrett attempted to regain the lead by putting in 1:50 laps with a last lap of 1:49. So close but ended up in 2nd place in CF with less than a second behind Dave who got first in CF. Mark came in 3rd in CF.

CF Winners

FF Winner

Participation Award
    This award is given by having all the driver’s car numbers in the drawing box who have participated in the weekend and did not place in the feature race. For this event, Steve Roux, the overall winner of the feature, pulled Number 42 which is Tom’s car number.

Participation Winner

Race 3 (Bonus)
    The battles continued. Multiple passes for the lead between Garrett and Dave. Steve in close pursuit the entire race who got first in FF. Dave gets the last pass in the last tuen to take the win by 0.038 seconds. Mark recovered from a spin going into the Esses to take home 3rd in CF.

Overall some great bragging rights achieved this weekend. All are looking forward to the next race at Summit Point the weekend of August 19-21.

Yours for the sport,
    Angela and Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Angela, FF#7

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Garrett’s Bird Strike video from Pitt Race

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Cool March shirt - where can I get a couple?

Quote Originally Posted by aslocum View Post
    Right Coast Formula F Series (RCFFS) enjoyed beautiful weather and great racing this past weekend. Sunny and mostly in low 70’s. A few last minute withdrawals happened due to waiting for parts or work obligations. Those that did attend had some intense, clean racing and tales to tell.

Race 1

The race start was close. It took several laps for Garrett Dettman (37) in Mike Rand’s old Crossle 35F to get away with Dave Harmison (10, Royale RP-21) in hot pursuit. Garrett got first in CF and Dave got second in CF. Steve Roux (19, Wyvern SR1) went from dead last to third overall and first in FF. Fighting for position was Mark Walthew (22, Crossle 30F) and Tom Venturino (42, Royale RP31). Extremely close passes between them in Turn 3 for multiple lead changes. Unfortunately, Tom’s car died so he pulled off track with 3 laps to go leaving Mark to get third in CF. The kill stickers for this race were handed out at the Saturday night social.

Race 2 (Feature)
    Another close start. In one of the early laps Garrett unfortunately hit a bird in Turn 1 which broke his left mirror and splattered remains onto Dave’s helmet and into Steve’s radiator. Racing continued on though as tight as ever. Garrett spun at Turn 1 with about 5 of the 13 laps to go which put Dave on the lead with Steve in hot pursuit who got past Dave to win first overall as well as first in FF. Garrett attempted to regain the lead by putting in 1:50 laps with a last lap of 1:49. So close but ended up in 2nd place in CF with less than a second behind Dave who got first in CF. Mark came in 3rd in CF.

CF Winners

FF Winner

Participation Award
    This award is given by having all the driver’s car numbers in the drawing box who have participated in the weekend and did not place in the feature race. For this event, Steve Roux, the overall winner of the feature, pulled Number 42 which is Tom’s car number.

Participation Winner

Race 3 (Bonus)
    The battles continued. Multiple passes for the lead between Garrett and Dave. Steve in close pursuit the entire race who got first in FF. Dave gets the last pass in the last tuen to take the win by 0.038 seconds. Mark recovered from a spin going into the Esses to take home 3rd in CF.

Overall some great bragging rights achieved this weekend. All are looking forward to the next race at Summit Point the weekend of August 19-21.

Yours for the sport,
    Angela and Dave
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1108
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Sorry I am late to this thread. Scott, you and Garrett are welcome, it was great paddocking next to you. The Pitt track is great fun as is RCFFS, I wish I was fast enough to keep up. I have a few alterations to help with speed at Summit Point. Gary that shirt is from Retro GP. Be careful it can get expensive on that website!
    Mark

Thread Information