Liked: 1

Default Chassis information

Good morning,
    New to Formula Vee and in need of information. I just purchased this chassis with plans to fix/restore and start with Autocross. I think is a Zink C4, but will like some help figuring the manufacturer.
    Thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIDE-FRONT.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	103182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	103183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIDE MIDDLE.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	103184  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REAR QUATER.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	103185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REAR.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	103186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROLLBAR.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	103187  

Liked: 41

yes, it is a Zink Z5/C4. looks like the curved bars on each side at the front behind the axle beam have been cut off

That is exactly what I was thinking.
    Thanks!!

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

I'm woefully uninformed about FVs in general but I have started a Zink and Citation car registry. According to Ed Zink's nephew, Ed was irked at the model name "C4" being used on his Z5s! Hopefully my son will be able to update the site as my Father's day gift, before he starts college in August! https://redroadracing.com/zinkregistry

Additional car confirmation can come from the SCCA roll bar stamp, often on the Driver Left side (but not always). The original logbook issuing region may still have records of the first owner and model, which may lead to some result sheets being found.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 299

You should be fine for cone killing but it would need some chassis updates for road racing. I am not sure of vintage since they have different rules for chassis's. Just keep in mind that you do not want to run into something substantial like concrete walls etc. with any of the original style open wheel cars.

Ed

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1403

Your car is a Zink. It actually is a late model of the design where the forward body work and frame were trimmed down. Also the Z bar is that updated version that probably dates from the early 1970's

This car restored would be a very desirable car for Vintage FV racing.

My advise is to restore it to its original specifications so the car remains vintage eligible. There is a bolt on Zero roll design that Ed Zink came up with that can be bolted on to this chassis. If you chose to go this route, it will enhance the performance of the car and not disturb the value.

New body work is available, some of it from the original molds.

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I'm woefully uninformed about FVs in general but I have started a Zink and Citation car registry. According to Ed Zink's nephew, Ed was irked at the model name "C4" being used on his Z5s! Hopefully my son will be able to update the site as my Father's day gift, before he starts college in August! https://redroadracing.com/zinkregistry

Additional car confirmation can come from the SCCA roll bar stamp, often on the Driver Left side (but not always). The original logbook issuing region may still have records of the first owner and model, which may lead to some result sheets being found.

Thanks.

Will look for markings.

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Your car is a Zink. It actually is a late model of the design where the forward body work and frame were trimmed down. Also the Z bar is that updated version that probably dates from the early 1970's

This car restored would be a very desirable car for Vintage FV racing.

My advise is to restore it to its original specifications so the car remains vintage eligible. There is a bolt on Zero roll design that Ed Zink came up with that can be bolted on to this chassis. If you chose to go this route, it will enhance the performance of the car and not disturb the value.

New body work is available, some of it from the original molds.

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me the source/contact information for the bodywork?

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post

I found the number as you suggested; 61 047.

can you tell me anything about this number?

Really appreciate the help.

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by For fun View Post
    I found the number as you suggested; 61 047.

can you tell me anything about this number?

Really appreciate the help.
    61 is the SCCA Regon that issued the log book. 047 likely indicates that this was the 47th car to get a log book in region 61. My guess.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    61 is the SCCA Regon that issued the log book. 047 likely indicates that this was the 47th car to get a log book in region 61. My guess.
    #61 is Central North Carolina. Will try to check with them for any history on the car/driver.

Quote Originally Posted by For fun View Post
    #61 is Central North Carolina. Will try to check with them for any history on the car/driver.
    Glad you found all that info, I was trying to earn money the old fashioned way....

Hopefully this Region has all their original records. There have been many cases where the info was lost in a storm or fire. Also note that some Region numbers have changed since they were first assigning logbooks around 1973. Hopefully the CNC folks can confirm that they have always had that Region number.
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 303

#61 is Central Carolinas Region

Since it's been around since 1960, and that looks to be a later model Zink, I cannot imagine 047 is the 47th logbook.

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post

Since it's been around since 1960, and that looks to be a later model Zink, I cannot imagine 047 is the 47th logbook.
    Logbooks started in 1972 or 73, if I remember what I've read in the past.
    Garey Guzman

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default 72 for SCCA car logbooks nationally

SCCA didn't have issue car logbooks prior to 72. My Spitfire is 54-001, from NeOkla Region. Funny thing was they also issued driver's logbooks about the same time, keep up with "bad actors" as well as experience.... those driver's logs lasted for a year or two, before enough outcry from racers that they were dropped. Thought it odd about national keeping "driver's records" in other thread on bad driving.... sort like you mess up it goes on your perm. record, like they scared us "kids" with during school..... Many regional records for car logbooks, are lost, as folks moved, left the club, or died off; not just floods and fires....

Here in region 12, we haven't had a national tech guy as long as I've known (early 80's). So what few race car books issued, doubt you'd find any early records....and likely none issued in last 20-30 yrs..... Could be wrong, but don't think so.............

For yours, all you can do is try. But why worry? Many vintage cars today never ran SCCA after logbooks existed. If going vintage with or without a chassis tag, you should get a new/vintage logbook from group you race with....most don't like to use old SCCA books, and SCCA won't take entries from vintage folks as proof the car is "current" for SCCA.....

Bob L.

"Logbooks started in 1972 or 73, if I remember what I've read in the past."
    "SCCA didn't have issue car logbooks prior to 72."

I had forgotten that. My first car, a Zink FV that I built from the Zink kit was in 1973 and I did have a logbook. It is somewhere in my Dads house...

So, yea, that number probably makes sense.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

"Logbooks started in 1972 or 73, if I remember what I've read in the past."
    "SCCA didn't have issue car logbooks prior to 72."

I had forgotten that. My first car, a Zink FV that I built from the Zink kit was in 1973 and I did have a logbook. It is somewhere in my Dads house...

So, yea, that number probably makes sense.
    Thank you for the information

Thanks, good information

Does anybody has the original documents/assembly instructions (?) from Zink?
    It will be great to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    SCCA didn't have issue car logbooks prior to 72. My Spitfire is 54-001, from NeOkla Region. Funny thing was they also issued driver's logbooks about the same time, keep up with "bad actors" as well as experience.... those driver's logs lasted for a year or two, before enough outcry from racers that they were dropped. Thought it odd about national keeping "driver's records" in other thread on bad driving.... sort like you mess up it goes on your perm. record, like they scared us "kids" with during school..... Many regional records for car logbooks, are lost, as folks moved, left the club, or died off; not just floods and fires....

Here in region 12, we haven't had a national tech guy as long as I've known (early 80's). So what few race car books issued, doubt you'd find any early records....and likely none issued in last 20-30 yrs..... Could be wrong, but don't think so.............

For yours, all you can do is try. But why worry? Many vintage cars today never ran SCCA after logbooks existed. If going vintage with or without a chassis tag, you should get a new/vintage logbook from group you race with....most don't like to use old SCCA books, and SCCA won't take entries from vintage folks as proof the car is "current" for SCCA.....

Bob L.
    Bob
    Just asking for historical purpose, but not a necessity. More curiosity than anything else.
    Thanks

"Does anybody has the original documents/assembly instructions (?) from Zink?"

IIRC, there were was nothing written.

Thread Information